Democrat Health Plan Trainwreck vote to begin 1AM Monday

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Secret back room deal making, tons of added pork, and lots of "lets just enter it as read rather than actually reading it" game playing. Several Senators have called for a total scrapping of the mess, but will be over ruled or bought out as usual. Mean time, the debt piles on, the economy continues to tank, and they grow even more out of touch with what America wants and needs.

Sometimes, I think Arni's quote about pulling out and nuking them from space fits our government....this is one of them. Good thing the only thing nuclear in my hands is a bottle of hot sauce. LOL

The first of a series of votes is set for Monday at 1 a.m., on a so-called manager's amendment, consisting of amendments crafted in the last week-and-a-half by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.
At the request of Republicans, the entire package of amendments -- 383 pages -- was being read Saturday, for hours, on the Senate floor.
The Senate could vote on the entire bill, a top priority of President Obama, before Christmas.

"If [Democrats] were proud of this bill, they wouldn't be doing it this way," McConnell said. "They wouldn't be jamming it through in the middle of the night on the last weekend before Christmas."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/19/health.care/index.html

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hope.
Change.
Transparency.
Ethical congress...
we have change, but, not in the way they said we would. From 4.6 unemployment under Bush, to over 10% with Obama, that is change, but, it ain't good.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm,

Kind of thought this was Martialtalk you know ... A martial arts related forum for martial arts related topics. How about taking this comment to the political forums as you leave here as follows ... US Government = Trainwreck, people that keep on voting the right & left wing clowns into office every four years & then want to argue about it = even bigger Trainwreck! There you go!:soapbox:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skippy,
The Study allows political topics.
I voted Libertarian, have for years, before that voted for Perot.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Skippy,
The Study allows political topics.
I voted Libertarian, have for years, before that voted for Perot.

As did I.

It's neither my nor Bob's fault the country as a whole is too damned stupid to refuse the two party brainwash.

Although recently I begin to wonder if perhaps I may have underestimated them....I don't think so, but I've been wrong before....

Last edited:

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand the frustration.

I suppose I don't understand the expectation level. Something so enormous, so philosophical, and economic, and vital, I wonder what Americans think a debate or amendment might look like? That everyone will agree on something? That, unlike anything your House or Senate has done in 40 years, this will be absent of political maneouvering or lobbying efforts?

I think folks get the government they deserve, and so also get the process they deserve.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think those in government need to keep their word, do their jobs; the ones they were hired to do by us - not their supporters, and I think that these mega-bills need to stop as do the "in the dead of night" votes behind closed doors. But, unlike most of them I've read the US Constitution and the writings of it's authors, so what would I know.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Americans don't want freedom.

Americans no longer resemble what we were decades, or even a centrury ago; no work ethic any more.

Instead of wanting the freedom to better ourselves, today we'd rather have a nanny state take care of our lazy attention defiict disordered bloated fat bodies from the cradle to the grave so we don't have to be stressed out and bothered with making decisions for ourselves.

Just give us a Big Mac, the internet, prescription pain killers, a beer to wash them down with, and cable TV and we're good to go.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know how old you are c_c, but Americans work more hours now then we did in the 70s, we work more hours than Europeans, and we take fewer and shorter vacations. Plus, a higher percentage of adults work in American than in other countries.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Passage is assured as they only need 51 votes to pass and it's unlikely that 10 dems will fail to pass this debacle.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how old you are c_c, but Americans work more hours now then we did in the 70s, we work more hours than Europeans, and we take fewer and shorter vacations. Plus, a higher percentage of adults work in American than in other countries.

You are so right,

Here in the States we live to work & no longer work to live & there is a big difference between the two. I'm from Europe but have been living in the States for over 30 years now & I've noticed things have really gone downhill here as for the quality of life. At first it was a very slow slight decline that most didn't notice but the past 8 or so years the decline has picked up speed & a person would have to be totally blind & not living in reality not to see it, it's alarming. What's happened is two things I see as major problems.

First we have more people here doing nothing more than collecting federal & state aid then we have people working to pay for all these programs. Second everythings' based on credit & 99.9% of everyone here lives far beyond their means. People use their homes as atm machines to pull out cash to go by fancy cars, nice gifts & take fancy vacations not thinking about how it will come back to haunt them in the long run. I think the Government here encourages people to be in debt as the more we are in debt the longer we have to work which means is unlikely we will live long enough to draw from all these programs we have paid into while we have worked.

Helpful hint, Better to start your own business/company & at least you will have a bit more control of your own path in life.:mst:

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to take this moment to thank the Democratic Party for it's utter failure to come together and put together a true overhaul health care system. I'd especially like to thank them for kneeling and fellating the health-care loan-shark lobby.

I'd also like to thank the Republican Party for spreading massive fear and disinformation, and doing everything possible to make sure that anything that did come out of the fractured structure could not be negotiated or improved, in any fashion.

A brilliant display of everything that's wrong with the system.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to take this moment to thank the Democratic Party for it's utter failure to come together and put together a true overhaul health care system. I'd especially like to thank them for kneeling and fellating the health-care loan-shark lobby.

I'd also like to thank the Republican Party for spreading massive fear and disinformation, and doing everything possible to make sure that anything that did come out of the fractured structure could not be negotiated or improved, in any fashion.

That's why only 25% of American's have faith in the government. Unfortunately, come November most of these useless self serving *** hats will return to their cushy elite positions safe in knowing that the American Sheeple have once again bent over, parted buttock and lubed up. At least the lube will now be subsidized.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not one for going to see the doctor unless it's really, really necessary. But if this thing passes, I'll be in there all the time. Cough? Doctor visit. Sneeze? Doctor visit. Hangnail? Doctor visit.

God dammit, we'll make this thing die of a thousand tiny cuts.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Ah! Finally! Somebody that sees the big picture & is living in reality!:ultracool

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me too.

Not that it matters... "The Big 2" will always win, even if 100% of us vote "None of the Above"

It's true that the system is rigged so that only the big 2 have a real shot at presidency. And if through some miracle a 3d party was elect.ed, he'd be hamstrung in congress.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yep, and according to what I heard on the news some time ago, we are just as productive per person per year as the Americans. It probably comes from the fact that if you can have more holidays -> less stress -> more relaxed personnel -> more productive personnel.

In total, I have about 40 paid holidays per year.

Latest Discussions