Defense Against Mace

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was younger I used Mace as a Offensive weapon. In other words some idiot wanted to fight me. I would use mace to injure him so I could just pumpel his face with a barage of punches while he chokes on his tears. Also I realize now that an attacker can also use mace as way to mug you or rape some unsuspecting female.

I was woundering what defenses do you guys know of against an attacker with mace?

Like for instance you got the streaming mace similiar to what police use and you also have the mace that mist and spreads into the air burning your eyes and throat and face if it makes contact with you.

How do you guys defend against mace...

I seen on discovery channel that some branches of Military have exercises where they build up an immunity for mace by exposure?

Do you guys practice anything similiar?

What are some defensive or offensive ways to protect against a mace attack?

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I'm sure that OC spray is not in any standard Wing Chun curriculum. :)

Here I know of cases where attacks against women were done with the OC spray and then they were raped.

Training to use OC spray is useful, yet it is not that much fun for many people to get sprayed. You can experience it so you know what to expect and be able to think on what to do. This is done in the military and several LEO trainings.

You wouldn't have many students if this was part of the curriculum.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been sprayed without expecting it. I immediately became extremely "goal oriented" and decided on a particular course of action - getting out of the hold, calling "cut" to the camera people and looking for water to wash my face. If that's your mindset it really isn't that difficult to fight through it.

And this was special "cop only" not for sale to mere civilians stuff.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
There probably isn't a defence against it , apart from hitting them before they can deploy it or stay out of range .

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any courses offered you can sign up to where you can be sprayed in the face with mace, have taesers fired into you and maybe (at the same time) have your knee caps and elbows hit with telescopic battons?
This could be a seminar worth looking into for you?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The trouble is that this starts getting into mirky territory

There are some things that you will never be able to prepare for and mace attacks are one of them

Yes you can build up immunity (like the guy from Under Seige 2 lol), but you have to spend a lot of time doing this

More commonly in the UK, criminals were using acid in squeezy bottles to blind people so they could rob them. Like I said, there are always those situations where you will be 'done over' and you cannot prepare for everything

It is like my instructor once said when a student asked him 'what if five guys attack you'. He answered, 'What if? What if a person comes up with a rocket launcher? What if a person comes up with a tank? Or 20 guys?'

The point was that, whilst it is very good to prepare for the worst, there are somethings you just will not be able to stop, especially of your opponent has come prepared

My only advice is to try and make sure that if your opponent has anything in his hands, you drop him as quickly as possible

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We get sprayed with OC as part of our certification, its not pleasant..Thats one of the reasons I hate to use it, there is always the cross contamination to deal with, even with throwing up our arm to sheild our face as they taught us doesn't help...Building up an immunity to it??? How long would that take???

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of immunity you might well build up increased sensitivity.

The thing to remember is that if you want to fight through it you will fight through it. It won't incapacitate you if there's something you are dead-set on doing, like taking the canister and putting it somewhere dark and warm. We have the research data. We have the experiments. And it's why groups like ASLET recommend it for "non-compliant but non-violent suspects". That's because it won't stop anyone who is determined not to be stopped.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Instead of immunity you might well build up increased sensitivity.

I believe it...I swear I cough and sneeze harder than I did when I first got sprayed...

That's because it won't stop anyone who is determined not to be stopped.

Truth..Had a tall skinny kid last year that attempted to resist arrest and fight 3 of us, 2 king size cops and one regular size one..Finally one of the officers decided to spray the punk..All it did was make him stop of a second or 2 and sit on the sidewalk, then he started all over again...Thank God for a rookie cop that showed up and tossed me his bottle of water so I could rinse my eyes out and continue to help...

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember one time my Sidai was sprayed with mace by police. They were shocked that 18mm of mace had no effect on him. They were very angry because they were harassing him an he refused to answer thier questions. So they tried to rough him up. But when they spread him he just shook it off...It could be because of his anger an not so much conditioning. I remember one time my cousin had some mace an it spread in her pocket and the whole room was filled with mace...I was a teenager than an it was a totally horrible experience. The second time I was effected by mace was in high school. Some idiot just sprayed it in the air for fun. To watch others choke. lol...the third time was when I was at a club...an fight broke out. The police sprayed mace into the crowd. This time I didn't receive direct contact so I was virtually unaffected. Or maybe the dosage was just faint. But others around me was acting like they are dying.

But I have seen documentry were special forces build up immunity.

I was just woundering if anyone else thought about building up immunity...I guess no one does...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I'd start with hitting the wooden dummy a lot to build up the proper toughening and conditioning of the forearms. That way when that spiked ball comes swinging down at your head, you might be able to deflect it with a good bong sau.

Then you'd have to hit him with a centerline punch with your other hand, because your first arm will be turned into a horrible mass of bone fragments and hamburger...

oops, sorry, wrong mace...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I'd start with hitting the wooden dummy a lot to build up the proper toughening and conditioning of the forearms. That way when that spiked ball comes swinging down at your head, you might be able to deflect it with a good bong sau.

Then you'd have to hit him with a centerline punch with your other hand, because your first arm will be turned into a horrible mass of bone fragments and hamburger...

oops, sorry, wrong mace...

I was wondering when someone was gonna post somthing like this...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please explain what you mean by this post...the one concerning the wooden dummy or mace?

How to condition yourself for attacks and defenses against the Mace..

Attachments

• $Mace.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 311

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The trouble is that this starts getting into mirky territory

There are some things that you will never be able to prepare for and mace attacks are one of them

Yes you can build up immunity (like the guy from Under Seige 2 lol), but you have to spend a lot of time doing this

More commonly in the UK, criminals were using acid in squeezy bottles to blind people so they could rob them. Like I said, there are always those situations where you will be 'done over' and you cannot prepare for everything

It is like my instructor once said when a student asked him 'what if five guys attack you'. He answered, 'What if? What if a person comes up with a rocket launcher? What if a person comes up with a tank? Or 20 guys?'

The point was that, whilst it is very good to prepare for the worst, there are somethings you just will not be able to stop, especially of your opponent has come prepared

My only advice is to try and make sure that if your opponent has anything in his hands, you drop him as quickly as possible

Great post. I agree. Was Kevin Chan that instructor? He sounds like a very cool, down to earth type of guy. Does he do any seminars outside England? Preferably in the southern central Europe :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am glad you brought it back on track...

Well are there any military men or women who has undergone training to build up a tolerance for Mace?

No, I know of no forces that do that....they have gas masks!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
We get sprayed with OC as part of our certification, its not pleasant..Thats one of the reasons I hate to use it, there is always the cross contamination to deal with, even with throwing up our arm to sheild our face as they taught us doesn't help...Building up an immunity to it??? How long would that take???

I had a long discussion with the head campus police officer back when we taught at a local university. He said that when he was a street cop there were lots of times when he came home and the first words out of his wife's mouth were "Take off your clothes!"

Naturally, that did his ego some good until she said "You got pepper spray on you again."
  • I've been sprayed by accident. It didn't stop me.
  • I've been sprayed on purpose as part of training. That was worse because we were just supposed to sit there and experience how awful it was. We couldn't act.
  • I've been on the edges of situations and gotten misted with the fire-extinguisher style OC. That was unpleasant but not incapacitating.
  • And I've been hosed down on a bet. The inducement of winning the bet was enough to keep me going even without violent action.
  • I've seen a few people accidentally spray themselves including one young woman who had it in her pocket and emptied the canister onto her girl-parts when she sat down. :eek: None of them fell down in agony. The gal in question was suddenly extremely motivated to find a shower.
The really telling one was during a demonstration by a pompous self-important cop. He was pushing OC as a dandy defense against rape, robbery and violent assault. He also makes a lot of money doing training courses on the stuff.

I asked if he would use pepper spray if someone were trying to do that to him. Of course not, he said. He'd use a gun and went on about how only "highly trained police officers" should carry guns and the wonders of S-patterns and spray-and-retreat with the spray. Strangely enough he turned down my (private) offer of a fair test. He could use any kind of OC and only OC. I got a wooden knife. Two bucks a cut. Ten bucks a stab. No more than a thousand bucks.

That was about the time I stopped listening to any public advice a police officer gives on self protection. I still take careful notes about what they say in private after a couple beers because that's usually really good stuff.

Latest Discussions