Defending yourself cold

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Opinions welcome, What do some of you think about the fact that most street attacks happen quickly and some trained skills take too much warm up or prep. EXAMPLE: Jump spinning hook kick to the head. Granted many TKD practioners may pull this off with little or no warning, but what of those who can not. Does anyone share my opinion that skills that can be done cold are more practical than ones that require much more maintenence. If your skills can not be done effectively cold so to speak you are at a disadvantage. Please do not take issue with the fact that I used TKD jump spinning kicks as an example, not taking pot shots at TKD, want opinions on responding cold to a threat. PEACE

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have a good teacher usually you will have a good balance of both. Not only cold techniques, but no matter how well attuned you may be, you may just encounter a situation that caught you off guard, afterall you are only human.

OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I agree we are all human. I feel that if in a sudden situation, I am not capable of the of what I was when I was 19. My tool box of skills so to speak is simple yet trustworthy given that the dice don't roll too funny in a dangerous situation. Thanks again for the reply. Peace

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that if you already have a good level of conditioning, it is important to sometimes try to defend yourself cold and experience the difference.

The "good level of conditioning" bit is important. If you don't already have a good range of motion and strong joints you're just asking for an injury by training without a warmup.

OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent input Rutherford. Thanks, I agree whole heartedly! Peace

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not a fan of aerial kicks in a real fight. I have always said that if you are using aerial kick you better be darn sure of your target.

But the times I have had to use something cold I tended towards the use of Qinna and redirection (using their force against them).

I however do agree that a good level of conditioning is a good thing to have. I also agree with if you have a good teacher you should have a pretty good balance.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to incorporate stretching and fitness into my daily life, so that when I get to the dojo to train, I don't need to warm up. I show up and I am ready to start training. My opinion is an attacker isn't going to wait for me to stretch and get ready, so why do I need to show up and stretch and warm up.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think anyone that initiates a fight with a jump spin kick outside of sport karate / tkd rules is in for a whopping....

That said, fight or flight hits, adrehnaline kicks in and you'll not realise you pulled something until the next morning :)

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
From My experience, In real life self defense situations people tend to fair better with what they are most comfortable with. SImple straight forward techniques usually work better for most peopel in those situations due to the whole adrenaline and gross motor skill thing. People tend to resort to what they how they train most. Case in point, I heard a story of a group of police officers who were killed during a shoot out. They found spent brass in the rookies pockets. COme to find out, the range instructer really had an issue about keeping his range clean and so he made everyone pick up their spent brass before they reloaded.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I think anyone that initiates a fight with a jump spin kick outside of sport karate / tkd rules is in for a whopping....

That said, fight or flight hits, adrehnaline kicks in and you'll not realise you pulled something until the next morning :)

True and true.

Also, I would suggest several mini workouts a week where you practice techniques that can be done on a rainy day, in high heels or a tuxedo and while you are recovering from the flu. In other words, simple, high probability techniques such as low-line kicks and palm strikes, hammerfists and elbow strikes.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Its also a good idea to have some simple redirects, grabs, and intercepts that are quick and reactionary, and drill these things daily. Work the agility regularly. Try not to be where the street attacks are.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Hi Jimi,

I agree with your assessment of using simple techniques in a sudden attack on the street. I also think that this would happen naturally anyway, as your go into a survival mode mentality, opposed to your everyday consciousness. In that mode of thinking, it is usually straight forward and simple. Using high maintenance techniques would put you at a disadvantage if done cold. The very fact that we do them effectively only when we're already warmed up during class, and only think of not attempting them, until we are properly stretched proves this. I say train hard and keep it simple when it goes down!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most of us will get an " adrenline response" nature way of warming us up for (fight or flee). The hardest thing is to relax and not cloud our minds with the wrong emotions of the moment.

Breath deeply, calm your mind, try very hard to talk your way out of it? ..be ready to explode! (killer instinct). Always prepare to die and accept death...................fight like there is no tommorrw.....because the person/persons you are facing may want to destroy you.......Aloha

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
They found spent brass in the rookies pockets. COme to find out, the range instructer really had an issue about keeping his range clean and so he made everyone pick up their spent brass before they reloaded.

That is a true story..Thankfully our range instructor was not that anal...

OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses, pretty much my opinion as well. I like the fact that the opinions expressed are based on the understanding that most street self-defense situations force you to respond from almost a dead cold start. PEACE

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
From My experience, In real life self defense situations people tend to fair better with what they are most comfortable with.
My forehead=your nose. Every "altercation" I have found myself in has turned into a close range push-pull type scuffle. Seems to be the norm as well. Head strikes and elbow because, although, I have a basic understanding of punching I have no technical practice and one or two bad experiences.

I practice/study Aikido. My experience in it is too limited to say whether or nor I could/would utilize any specific techniques but perhaps some of the ideas...

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
If i had to defend myself on the spur of the moment without having time to use flashy kicks, i would either run or if i had no choice use dirty tactics like a kick to the groin which doesn't need to be a high kick. I have just started Wing chun to supplement my kung fu training and there is hardly much of a warm up, just going through sil lim tao and some stepping and punching.

There are many things you can do without needed to warm up, such as using your hands to strike or grab vital areas. An attacker off the street doesn't need to warm up to take a swing at you but obviously using high jump spinning kicks are not a good idea. Besides you may be wearing awkward clothing that doesn't allow you to use your high kicks so its important you can be effective with hand strikes, elbows and even throws when need be but try never to go to go to the ground. I Would avoid that at all costs and if i were my training would help me but then again its always hard to knwo what i would do in that situation.

I think its always best to run and if you do get cornered, that run should have warmed you up a little, but make sure it doesn't wear you out.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Opinions welcome, What do some of you think about the fact that most street attacks happen quickly and some trained skills take too much warm up or prep. EXAMPLE: Jump spinning hook kick to the head. Granted many TKD practioners may pull this off with little or no warning, but what of those who can not. Does anyone share my opinion that skills that can be done cold are more practical than ones that require much more maintenence. If your skills can not be done effectively cold so to speak you are at a disadvantage. Please do not take issue with the fact that I used TKD jump spinning kicks as an example, not taking pot shots at TKD, want opinions on responding cold to a threat. PEACE

Great thread! This is one of the reasons why I try to gear my training to keep everything simple. The more elaborate you get, ie: a spinning/jumping kick, kicking high, etc., the more you risk not being able to pull the move off. Of course, everyone is different, so someone my just naturally be flexable, spend more time working on flexability, etc., so of course, it may be easier for them.

Mike

Southwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good thread, I like to stretch in the morning and evening to keep loose but as for kicking high in a street fight, I would stick to low kicks and get the job done fast.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Thanks for the reply, I agree we are all human. I feel that if in a sudden situation, I am not capable of the of what I was when I was 19. My tool box of skills so to speak is simple yet trustworthy given that the dice don't roll too funny in a dangerous situation. Thanks again for the reply. Peace

Pesonally I would rather be in a conflict with a 19 year old then with a 45 year old. The 19 year old will bluster, and also use strength. The 45 year old will want to hurt you know and get it over with ASAP.

As to cold, if you are aware of possible situations then you will not be completely cold.

If it is 100% surprise and you are cold then you need use simple defense and create the room and time to move.