Daughter Made USAT Jr. Prep team

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats and I hope they do arrange some additional training, camps or an event for them.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats ATC!!! Any idea what it means?
Well I talked to Master Givins about it and he said it was a way to get the kids moving up to Jr. division recognized and ready for the next level. He said that the US Open or next JO's would be paid for, and that they would attend a development camp. Not sure if the camp is for free or not (hope so).

He said that USAT needed to develop the new young talent early to compete with the other countries. All this was told to me last year when we were up at Master Givins doing a training session. I completely forgot about it until I got an email today asking for profile pic and form to be filled out. They stated that more info is to come.

For me a development camp for free would be great. One of our student from our sister school in Medford OR. just attended that last one and she said it was great. I need to look at the videos that her mom took of the sessions.

It would also be great to have an international tournament to attend as well. Nothing like experience.

Just glad that they are doing something for the up and coming group.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats she did a great job at Nationals. The Mota fight was incredible!!!!!

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATC that is great for her as well for you but I wonder what USAT plan to get out of it, you know they only care about the all mighty dollar and a couple of people. (JUST KIDDING EVERYONE). On a serious note I just heard they are going to comp them for a developement camp this next year so it is well worth it and I know she will do great.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
USA Taekwondo is pleased to announce the first-ever USAT Junior Prep Team. The 10-member Junior Prep Team is made up of the top finisher in each of the 12-13 year old World Class black belt weight divisions from the Junior Olympic Taekwondo Championships in Orlando. Team members will be given an opportunity to attend an athlete development camp or international event to be determined, and will receive free entry into the 2011 U.S. Open.

The 2010 Junior Prep Team members are:

Women's Fin: Michelle Gonciarz (Draper, Utah)
Women's Bantam: Katie Jackson (San Jose, Calif.)
Women's Light: Constance Young (Waipahu, Hawaii)
Women's Middle: Kelly VanDrisse (Maple Grove, Minn.)
Women's Heavy: Yihang Liu (Perrysburg, Ohio)

Men's Fin: Tristan Hill (Savannah, Ga.)
Men's Bantam: Justin Arce (Miami, Fla.)
Men's Light: Zachery Budde (Maple Grove, Minn.)
Men's Middle: Kyle Mook (Greer, S.C.)
Men's Heavy: Dylan Dsa (Massapequa, N.Y.)

###

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow! That's great news - congratulations! This is just the beginning of a promising future for your daughter. Good luck!

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is she going to be 14 next year?
No only 13 so she has one more year at 12-13 before moving up. That is why I think for her this will be a great opportunity. Should make moving up in 2012 a smooth transition. She will get to workout with the Jr. team (I hope) and make some friends as well.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No only 13 so she has one more year at 12-13 before moving up. That is why I think for her this will be a great opportunity. Should make moving up in 2012 a smooth transition. She will get to workout with the Jr. team (I hope) and make some friends as well.

It all starts now!!! Enjoy the ride!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since my daughter has been fighting in the Jr division and now the Sr Division it has been a big change. The stakes get higher and the tension is greater. At
Nationals this year with the Olympic trials on the line it was a much different ball game. What really opened my eyes is when she fought internationally.

Keep your kids shielded from this as much as possible!

At the highest levels this is not a friendly game!!!

She has a year to go before it really changes!!!

redtailedshark

White Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! That, as an parent - and the child of course, has to be an amazing feeling. She will receive many doors opened because of this.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since my daughter has been fighting in the Jr division and now the Sr Division it has been a big change. The stakes get higher and the tension is greater. At
Nationals this year with the Olympic trials on the line it was a much different ball game. What really opened my eyes is when she fought internationally.

Keep your kids shielded from this as much as possible!

At the highest levels this is not a friendly game!!!

She has a year to go before it really changes!!!
Wow! Thanks. I will be picking your brain for everything I can. Thanks again.

Latest Discussions