Daily Life In China Photo Essay

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting shots giving insight into the lives of inner-city people of another land.

Goes to show how the veneer of 'technology' has only just started to make an impact on the city. Reminds me of an exagerated version of what happened in Japan at the turn of the 19th Century with the 'modern' and the 'traditional' cheek by jowl.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nice shots, many from Beijing and although that is part of Beijing it may give westeners the wrong idea

If you want to see what is a major part of Daily life in Bejing it would be this

beijing.jpg

Goes to show how the veneer of 'technology' has only just started to make an impact on the city.

Technology is very much part of Beijing. I have co-workers that were absolutly amazed that my Mother-in-law, from Beijing, thought Albany (the capital of NYS) was small bucause they had a view of Cities in China being like what they see in movies and on TV. Not knowing Beijing has a population in excess of 22 million people

This is Beijing

youtravel-beijing-skyline.jpg

beijing.jpg

beijing_cbd_2008-6-996735.jpg

Beijing.jpg

jg113-1382_IMG.jpg

BeijingRivieraGarden.jpg

sc_upload_file_sosep200720_01_072dpi_1452905.jpg

2693056-Temple_of_Heaven-Beijing.jpg

Park3-copyrightprotected.jpg

There is a rather large gap in Beijing between rich and poor and little or no middle class. And the picture I posted of the low houses that use to make up much of Beijing that are now mostly slums are being torn down at a rather rapid rate and being replaced by sky scrapers and stores the size of a city block.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I should have been a bit more specific in what I wrote.

I was just trying to indicate that the 'modern' city so often seen on the news was not the whole of the story i.e. that there were still areas that had the 'veneer' of electrickery and aluminium framed glass frontages in the setting of the traditional alley-ways with limited amenities.

Britain, even in London, was much the same and much more recently than many people think :).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Aye, I should have been a bit more specific in what I wrote.

I was just trying to indicate that the 'modern' city so often seen on the news was not the whole of the story i.e. that there were still areas that had the 'veneer' of electrickery and aluminium framed glass frontages in the setting of the traditional alley-ways with limited amenities.

Britain, even in London, was much the same and much more recently than many people think :).

No worries,

I have to admit, When I was in Beijing saw these houses (although I did not take that picture) based on what I had seen around me for a week or so... I couldn't believe I was looking at, it just seemed so surreal

Latest Discussions