Cutting weight for tournament

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My 1st ever blackbelt tournament is in nine weeks. At the moment I'm roughly 73Kg. If I can get under 70 I can fight lightweight. How do I go about cutting weight?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
9 weeks to lose 6 pounds can be done correctly and in healthy way.

Just train as you normally would and reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories a day.

Or

Simply increase your workout and eat the same.

Either burn 500 more calories in a day and eat the same, or eat 500 calories a day less and train the same.

In about 9 weeks you should be where you want to be. It really is that simple. 500 calories is nothing. To glasses of grape jucie is 500 calories. Just eat right and follow any one of the above 2 methods and you should be OK.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is a thought why not fight your wieght class? IF you are your current wieght and that is where you have been though every belt what is the problem fight your wieght......:erg:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to work with your master/coach in person on this one.

Cutting is generally managing your water and food intake closer to tournament to manage mostly the weight that you normally gain and lose in your daily cycle--so you can bottom out at weigh in and still be at full energy to fight. Do you know how much you gain and lose in the course of a day? Your energy use, elimination, eating and drinking all change your weight.

Cutting is different from dieting, which can affect muscle mass and energy (so can cutting if overdone). At nine weeks out, you may be able to get to your target just by eliminating junk foods and unneeded carbs from your diet--just eat better and follow good guidelines for portions and timing. Done right, you shouldn't feel a real difference in your energy from eating less if you eat better.

If you already eat carefully and are fairly lean, you should also be open to the idea that your body may be at a better weight where it is.

Good luck.
Carl

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My daughter cuts 10 lbs for big tournaments US Open, Nationals ETC...She does it slowly and it takes about 4 weeks. She is careful not to shock her system. She can fight fly 108lb but at the National/International level she feels better at 101lb. It is her choice she decides the weight she fights at. She started today for NKF US Open 4-21 105 lb needs to drop 6lbs.

@ 5'3 fin is a safe weight for her.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My daughter cuts 10 lbs for big tournaments US Open, Nationals ETC...She does it slowly and it takes about 4 weeks. She is careful not to shock her system. She can fight fly 108lb but at the National/International level she feels better at 101lb. It is her choice she decides the weight she fights at. She started today for NKF US Open 4-21 105 lb needs to drop 6lbs.

@ 5'3 fin is a safe weight for her.

A 17 year old girl at 5'3" should weigh no less than 115 according to most medical charts I have seen. I would not consider anything below 110# to be a safe weight. But I am no doctor nor have I ever claimed to be.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think everyone is different. Some people are naturally light or heavy for their size. Most people fit perfectly into that BMI and weight chart thing but there are still quite a lot that just don't. Some will be above and some below but because of there bone and muscle density they might be right where they need to be.

Now with that said more people are overweight than under. If you know you have some fat to lose and you are not in the best shape and you have some time to lose that fat and to get into shape then do it. It will only help you.

If you don't have to much fat to lose and you are in pretty good shape and you are 2 pound away from next bracket (either way - up or down) then it won't hurt you to do a mild warm up before weigh ins to lose 2 pounds of warter weight. And it won't hurt to drink that 32 oz. gatoraid just before you step on the scale to gain 2 pounds either (although I don't know why you would want to fight at the lightest weight in the division).

Anything over 2 pounds a day before a match would not be a smart thing to try and move. Trying to shead 6 lbs the night or day before a match is not going to be the best thing for anyone, not even 1 week before the match.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 17 year old girl at 5'3" should weigh no less than 115 according to most medical charts I have seen. I would not consider anything below 110# to be a safe weight. But I am no doctor nor have I ever claimed to be.

at 5'5" I weighed around 116 lbs at that age. Not overly strong boned.

But I don't like to see girls doing that sort of dieting anyhow, even if it is their choice.
(I suppose it's double standard)
Women tend to fret too much over weight and dress sizes too much as it is.

But then again 5 pounds is not so much of a difference. 10 is more of an issue.

wayneshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions