Curfews For Teens: Are They The Answer?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hartford, CT. has, for quite some time, had a serious issue with violence and drugs. Now, this is nothing new, especially in a large cities. In an effort to curb this violence, the city has put a curfew for kids 18 and younger into effect. I'm going to post a few articles for reference.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/statewire/hc-11160616.apds.m0467.bc-ct--hartaug11,0,4402241.story

http://www.courant.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-hartford-curfew,0,5733253.story

One thing that caught my eye was this:

"The ACLU of Connecticut opposes juvenile curfews because they're essentially a violation of fundamental rights of innocent people," he said. "Curfews essentially are placing an entire demographic, in this case, youth, under house arrest for the inappropriate actions of a few."

It should be a no brainer that the ACLU would get involved. Now, while it would be stereotyping to say that every 15, 16 and 18 yo. is a violent thug, one has to ask, why would a 15yo, regardless of the day of the week, be out at 1am? I doubt they're coming home from a job. Could they be visiting a friend? Possibly, but at that hour?

This program is supposed to run for 30 days. It'll be interesting to see how things work out.

Thoughts on the program?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a good try at curbing the violence but I doubt it will work.
I see many law suits coming out of this.

If a group of youths want to brake the curfew and cause mischief I am sure they will. Do the gun laws keep youths in gangs from having guns? NO. Then why do they think a curfew will work?
It will only work for those youths that obey and those with parents that say stay home

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing that caught my eye was this:

"The ACLU of Connecticut opposes juvenile curfews because they're essentially a violation of fundamental rights of innocent people," he said. "Curfews essentially are placing an entire demographic, in this case, youth, under house arrest for the inappropriate actions of a few."

It should be a no brainer that the ACLU would get involved. Now, while it would be stereotyping to say that every 15, 16 and 18 yo. is a violent thug, one has to ask, why would a 15yo, regardless of the day of the week, be out at 1am? I doubt they're coming home from a job. Could they be visiting a friend? Possibly, but at that hour?

This program is supposed to run for 30 days. It'll be interesting to see how things work out.

Thoughts on the program?

You know there are reasons why the teens are known as minors in the eyes of the law. Not to say that all are not mature enough to know better than to do what they are trying to fight (violence...etc.), but I would bet that most at that age REALLY don't have a reason to be out past the curfew time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see why they want it but is it correct to make all pay for the crimes of a few.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got no problem with it.

the good kids will be off the street and safe from the bad kids, and the police wont have the good kids to worry about so they can focus on the bad kids, cuz they will be the only ones around.

i say more power to the city and police

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me that the ones who are causing the problems aren't going to follow the curfew anyway. The only one who will are the responsible kids and kids with responsible parents - who aren't causing a problem anyway.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a good try at curbing the violence but I doubt it will work.
I see many law suits coming out of this.

If a group of youths want to brake the curfew and cause mischief I am sure they will. Do the gun laws keep youths in gangs from having guns? NO. Then why do they think a curfew will work?
It will only work for those youths that obey and those with parents that say stay home

The city is very busy, so it'll be interesting to see how this is enforced with all of the other stuff going on to keep the officers busy.

I do think its a good plan, and I hope it does work, but as I said, it'll be interesting to see the results after the 30 day period.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The city is very busy, so it'll be interesting to see how this is enforced with all of the other stuff going on to keep the officers busy.

I do think its a good plan, and I hope it does work, but as I said, it'll be interesting to see the results after the 30 day period.

Yes I am curious to see the results on this as well.
icon6.gif

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know there are reasons why the teens are known as minors in the eyes of the law. Not to say that all are not mature enough to know better than to do what they are trying to fight (violence...etc.), but I would bet that most at that age REALLY don't have a reason to be out past the curfew time.

I agree, and I question why the parents are not keeping tabs on their kids. An article in todays paper, which there doesnt seem to be a link of the Hartford Courant site yet, has a guy who is saying that whats really needed is a father figure. Not sure where he got the stats, but he said that 70% of families in the city are single parents. So, he's basically saying that if its a single mom, that there is a good chance that her kids will fall into the problem child category. I doubt that every single mom out there has a wild child. Of course, the real issue, IMO, isn't the fathers, its the mothers and their poor choice of who they choose to have a baby with. I mean really, if you knew that the guy you were sleeping with was a dirtbag, would you sleep with him, bring a kid into the world, and then complain that the reason why your child is out of control is because the dad isn't there?

I'm sure some may say thats a sexist comment, but I have no issues with women. My issue is with people who do dumb things, and then complain when they get jammed up. Kinda like running a red light right in front of a cop, and then wonder why you got pulled over.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see why they want it but is it correct to make all pay for the crimes of a few.

Good point and I'm sure that is a question that many others are asking as well. If I had to make a guess, I'd say the people who are pushing for this are thinking, "What reason does a 14yo have for being out at 1am?" and IMO, I have to wonder the same thing. If hardly anything is open at that hour, what other reason do you have for being out?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got no problem with it.

the good kids will be off the street and safe from the bad kids, and the police wont have the good kids to worry about so they can focus on the bad kids, cuz they will be the only ones around.

i say more power to the city and police

Thats what I was thinking as well.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to me that the ones who are causing the problems aren't going to follow the curfew anyway. The only one who will are the responsible kids and kids with responsible parents - who aren't causing a problem anyway.

Most likely that will be the way the situation plays out. And I'm sure when the cops do come across an offender, it won't be the first or last time they're caught.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, and I question why the parents are not keeping tabs on their kids. An article in todays paper, which there doesnt seem to be a link of the Hartford Courant site yet, has a guy who is saying that whats really needed is a father figure. Not sure where he got the stats, but he said that 70% of families in the city are single parents. So, he's basically saying that if its a single mom, that there is a good chance that her kids will fall into the problem child category. I doubt that every single mom out there has a wild child. Of course, the real issue, IMO, isn't the fathers, its the mothers and their poor choice of who they choose to have a baby with. I mean really, if you knew that the guy you were sleeping with was a dirtbag, would you sleep with him, bring a kid into the world, and then complain that the reason why your child is out of control is because the dad isn't there?

I'm sure some may say thats a sexist comment, but I have no issues with women. My issue is with people who do dumb things, and then complain when they get jammed up. Kinda like running a red light right in front of a cop, and then wonder why you got pulled over.

I agree that a lot goes to the parenting...or lack of parenting. Since I don't have any kids...and truth be told don't really want any...I can not speak from experience, but from what I have seen there are a lot of places in today's society that we are asking various organizations (schools) and laws to become a substitute for parents.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that a lot goes to the parenting...or lack of parenting. Since I don't have any kids...and truth be told don't really want any...I can not speak from experience, but from what I have seen there are a lot of places in today's society that we are asking various organizations (schools) and laws to become a substitute for parents.

Fantastic post! Likewise, my wife and I don't have kids and none are planned for the immediate future. My mother and father divorced when I was very little, and she raised me just fine, until she met and married my stepfather. But you're right, people tend nowadays, to put the blame on someone else instead of owning up to their faults. I work as a dispatcher for a PD here in CT. You'd be shocked at the number of calls that I take from people who say that they'd like an officer to come to their house to speak with their child because the kid doesnt want to go to school, because the child isnt listening to them. Hmm...that sounds like some poor parenting to me.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic post! Likewise, my wife and I don't have kids and none are planned for the immediate future. My mother and father divorced when I was very little, and she raised me just fine, until she met and married my stepfather. But you're right, people tend nowadays, to put the blame on someone else instead of owning up to their faults. I work as a dispatcher for a PD here in CT. You'd be shocked at the number of calls that I take from people who say that they'd like an officer to come to their house to speak with their child because the kid doesnt want to go to school, because the child isnt listening to them. Hmm...that sounds like some poor parenting to me.

Another dispatcher eh. I am a former dispatcher from a small town in Kentucky. I dispatched police, fire, ambulance and sheriff. I can attest to strange calls and strange visits to the PD...I was also after hours receptionist for the PD...I had 2nd shift.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another dispatcher eh. I am a former dispatcher from a small town in Kentucky. I dispatched police, fire, ambulance and sheriff. I can attest to strange calls and strange visits to the PD...I was also after hours receptionist for the PD...I had 2nd shift.

Yup, sounds like me. LOL! 4pm-12am shift, PD, Fire, EMS. This is done for a city as well as a smaller neighboring town. I say all the time that I wish I had started a journal from day 1, jotting down some notes from day to day. Man, 6yrs. later, I'd have some stories! LOL!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And on a similar note.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26171820/

"HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. - Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a U.S. neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.
On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.
Police Chief Fred Fielder said the patrols have netted 32 arrests since they began last week in a 10-block neighborhood in this small town on the banks of the Mississippi River long troubled by poverty. The council said those living in the city want the random shootings and drug-fueled violence to stop, no matter what the cost."

I can't say I disagree with this:

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why would a 15yo, regardless of the day of the week, be out at 1am? I doubt they're coming home from a job. Could they be visiting a friend? Possibly, but at that hour?

Why would anybody be out at that hour? There is no magic event that occurs when you turn 18 that suddenly changes that rule. There are also plenty of criminals that are over 18.

So why not apply the curfew to everyone, regardless of age? For the exact same reason you shouldn't apply it to a segment of that population, that just happens to be a segment that isn't allowed to vote.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would anybody be out at that hour? There is no magic event that occurs when you turn 18 that suddenly changes that rule. There are also plenty of criminals that are over 18.

So why not apply the curfew to everyone, regardless of age? For the exact same reason you shouldn't apply it to a segment of that population, that just happens to be a segment that isn't allowed to vote.

Well, you bring up a very good point, and one that I agree 100% with. :) The focus of the newspaper article was on teens, so thats what I initially focused on, however, crimes or issues are not limited to people 18 and under. The other link that I posted, as far as I can tell, addresses everyone, not just teens.

I mean, it does make you wonder....unless its a 24hr. store, or you're in a 24/7 type of job, alot of things are closed. So, unless all those people wandering around when most others are sound asleep, are going to or from those 24/7 jobs, you have to wonder...what other reason could they possibly have for being out at that hour?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have curfews in place here, it doesn't seem to help much...What would REALLY help is if the offenders to get more that a slap on the wrist..

Latest Discussions