CTE or chronic traumatic encephalopathy

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this as part of the Chris Benoit tragedy. It seems important enough to share here, considering the risk we put ourselves at when sparring, competing and training.

====

Found this: CTE or chronic traumatic encephalopathy
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nat...c_traumat.html

"This is irreversible brain damage,” Omalu said. “It’s most likely caused by concussions "

"chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition evidenced by neurofibrillary tangles in the brain’s cortex, which can cause memory loss, depression and eventually Alzheimer’s disease-like dementia. “This is extremely abnormal in a 36-year-old,” Hamilton said. “If I didn’t know anything about this case and I looked at the slides, I would have asked, ‘Was this patient a boxer?’"

If this was the case, while it doesn't excuse his crime, it does explain how someone who is consistently being reported as a "good guy" could lose it and kill his family.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk, known for his friendly, banjo-playing spirit and gluttony for combat, died the morning of Sept. 30, 2004, when, during a 40-mile high-speed police chase in central New York, his pickup truck collided with a tractor-trailer and exploded, killing him instantly. CTE has been cited.

There is alot more reading on brain injuries at http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm
Which probably would be a good read period, considering the risk of head injuries we ourselves chance while sparing and training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this is one of the reasons why high school students should not return to the sport where a head injury occured untill a doctor says they can
I know in some states a player (high school) must sit out the rest of the game and be treated at a hospital for head injuries because no one wants repeated concussions to cause the above problem

Latest Discussions