Creating Kata for Competition

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you made up your own kata for competition? How did you get started? Is it better to play entirely to your strengths, or does a creative kata need to be more well-rounded? Is it better to use the whole ring? Should you always start in the middle? ....I could go on and on, as I'm trying to start this, and I'm totally flummoxed. Any advice, information, experiences, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but why would you want to create a new form for competition? What's wrong with traditional forms?

Is this in a seperate division for creative forms?

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but why would you want to create a new form for competition? What's wrong with traditional forms?

Is this in a seperate division for creative forms?

Well, I'm required to create one--it's part of our curriculum for brown belts; but I'm also thinking I could kill two birds with one stone. There are 10 traditional forms in our curriculum, after which we have to put together an original form and a weapons form.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I guess if you want to compete with it, you gotta look at the competition venue a bit. What is your style?

Personally, I don't like creative kata that are full of gymnastics and all kinds of unrealistic, yet physically demanding techniques that have little combat or self-defense value, but are impressive to an audience. Seems that is the direction that a lot of creative kata are going these days. For myself, that kind of thing doesn't impress me. It just turns martial arts into a performance art, and for me, that's not what it should be. Some competitions cater to this kind of thing, kind of the "XMA" kind of thing, while others do not.

But that's my opinion. Maybe you and/or your teachers feel differently about it.

However, I have played with creating my own kata in the past. I simply built them out of a series of self-defense techniques found within the curriculum of our system. Maybe you could take a series of one-steps or three-steps or something, and build them together into a kata. Or you could build it upon a certain theme, like kicks only, or handstrikes only, or blocks only, or defenses against a particular type of attack. Or it could be a series of your own favorite techniques, whatever those may be.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like creative kata that are full of gymnastics and all kinds of unrealistic, yet physically demanding techniques that have little combat or self-defense value, but are impressive to an audience

Depends entirely on how it is done, Wushu stuff looks great and has a nice flow to it. The "sport karate" with all the yelling and squealing makes my head hurt too watch...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Why would you want to paint your own pictures? What's wrong with the ones painted by the renaissance masters?

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well, I guess if you want to compete with it, you gotta look at the competition venue a bit. What is your style?

Personally, I don't like creative kata that are full of gymnastics and all kinds of unrealistic, yet physically demanding techniques that have little combat or self-defense value, but are impressive to an audience. Seems that is the direction that a lot of creative kata are going these days. For myself, that kind of thing doesn't impress me. It just turns martial arts into a performance art, and for me, that's not what it should be. Some competitions cater to this kind of thing, kind of the "XMA" kind of thing, while others do not.

But that's my opinion. Maybe you and/or your teachers feel differently about it.

However, I have played with creating my own kata in the past. I simply built them out of a series of self-defense techniques found within the curriculum of our system. Maybe you could take a series of one-steps or three-steps or something, and build them together into a kata. Or you could build it upon a certain theme, like kicks only, or handstrikes only, or blocks only, or defenses against a particular type of attack. Or it could be a series of your own favorite techniques, whatever those may be.

My style is American Karate. I'm not a big XMA fan myself, and at age 41 I don't think I'm going to become a gymnast. Maybe in my next life.

So I'm not looking to do anything acrobatic; rather, I want to use good techniques that work well together. Unfortunately, I can't figure out quite how to do that. Your theme suggestions might help me get started. Thanks!

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends entirely on how it is done, Wushu stuff looks great and has a nice flow to it. The "sport karate" with all the yelling and squealing makes my head hurt too watch...

What I do you would probably call sport karate. I don't yell and squeal, though; more like kiai and growl. My school actually uses audible breathing in kata and usually only 2 (sometimes 3) kiais per kata; I always have to add more vocalization for outside tournaments. I tend to use more realistic sounds though; ones that I might actually make when kicking someone in the face, for instance.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't care much for the Modern Wushu stuff either, to be honest. It's getting to be more like a gymnastics floor routine.

Likewise, I'm also not impressed with how many capoeira groups seem to be pushing the acrobatics more and more, to the detriment of actual skill in the game. I think it's a trend overall, and I personally don't like it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My style is American Karate. I'm not a big XMA fan myself, and at age 41 I don't think I'm going to become a gymnast. Maybe in my next life.

So I'm not looking to do anything acrobatic; rather, I want to use good techniques that work well together. Unfortunately, I can't figure out quite how to do that. Your theme suggestions might help me get started. Thanks!

You are welcome.

What is the history of your school of American Karate? What body of forms do you folks practice? Do they come from one of the older systems of Okinawan or Japanese or Korean bodies? What sets your school of American Karate as different from these others?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how things might be done in your school.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would you want to paint your own pictures? What's wrong with the ones painted by the renaissance masters?

As long as the pictures that are presented for others to judge on creativity aren't colored in crayon, sure, nothing wrong with that...

It all depends on the venue and the judging criteria, which is why I was asking if this is in a creative forms division. Like FC said, typically forms that are created by the performer are XMA forms...which are useless.

But, since the OP is talking about creating a traditional style form, then this is different....

I think that FC pretty much has it right, anyway. Take moves that would make sense in a step-sparring scenerio, and make them "flow" in a sense.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, here is my opinion on the whole thing based on my experience judging forms divisions in the past at NASKA rated tournaments. I would suggest that you have a good amount of traditional martial art moves in your form BUT add a some "extreme" moves in it. I would suggest some flashy jump inside crescent kicks, butterfly twist into the full splits if you can do them, maybe an aerial, etc...... Don't over do it though on the "tricks" as they call them. As for the traditional moves you put into your form/kata make sure they are clean and crisp when you execute them. Also if you are having trouble with one of your "tricks" then take it out and don't do it. Don't do it unless you can pull it off. No sense in chancing it. I only know of a few competitors now days that can do a ALL traditional form and pull off winning grand champion and that would be Luaren Kearney, Brian Ruth, and Casey Marks Nash when they do empty hand forms. But they are perfect in execution of traditional moves.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, here is my opinion on the whole thing based on my experience judging forms divisions in the past at NASKA rated tournaments. I would suggest that you have a good amount of traditional martial art moves in your form BUT add a some "extreme" moves in it. I would suggest some flashy jump inside crescent kicks, butterfly twist into the full splits if you can do them, maybe an aerial, etc...... Don't over do it though on the "tricks" as they call them. As for the traditional moves you put into your form/kata make sure they are clean and crisp when you execute them. Also if you are having trouble with one of your "tricks" then take it out and don't do it. Don't do it unless you can pull it off. No sense in chancing it. I only know of a few competitors now days that can do a ALL traditional form and pull off winning grand champion and that would be Luaren Kearney, Brian Ruth, and Casey Marks Nash when they do empty hand forms. But they are perfect in execution of traditional moves.

You might want to review what Stac3y already said in an earlier post...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Decide on what you are wanting the form to show(blocking, kicking, punching, stances, throwing). Next decide how flashy you want it and the flow of the form. Choose the stepping pattern(embusen), I suggest you keep it well within the sides of the ring. If you step out you get penalty points.

Start with the feet first, then add in the hands. Next get your tempo down. Finally practice the form until you are having nightmares about the form.

Hope these pointers help out.

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, NASKA has made XMA its own division, with Traditional/Creative being separate. I can't remember the exact rules (and no time to look them up right now), but I believe XMA must have at least one 360 degree aeriel move (like a flip of some sort), and T/C can't have any. I only do one NASKA tourney a year (no travel for Mommy), but acrobatic moves are not common or expected in the old ladies (Executive) division where I usually compete. Good thing, too, because the likelihood of me getting airborne is...not.:)

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are welcome.

What is the history of your school of American Karate? What body of forms do you folks practice? Do they come from one of the older systems of Okinawan or Japanese or Korean bodies? What sets your school of American Karate as different from these others?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how things might be done in your school.

Here's the intro from the website:

"The American Society of Karate was conceived in 1970 . The A.S.K. is an association designed to teach American Karate to ages 5 - 80 in a positive ever changing system. New ideas and fresh approaches to the art, sport and self defense aspects of karate are constantly being added to the system."

Ed Parker is supposed to be the "father" of American Karate; Funakoshi the founder of modern karate, per our materials. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace is closely associated with ASK.

Our traditional forms are taken from various other styles; some Japanese, some Korean.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The answer, as it is with most other similar questions, is this:

It depends.

If you want to stick with traditional competition, then there's probably no harm in creating your own version of a kata that is based on one of the traditional kata already in existence. Many folks have done so, although these are highly advanced people.

Kotaka Sensei, for example, created a bo kata based off the kata Rohai Shodan, and called it Rohai No Kon. It actually shows quite well, and I've seen it performed at several traditional Karate tournaments.

However, Kotaka Sensei is, after all, quite advanced, and already had a sound knowledge of the fundamentals, in both Karate and Kobudo...

If you want to give it a whirl, I'd suggest taking a look at various traditional kata. At this level (you stated that you're around the brown belt rank), you may want to look at the simpler ones, such as the Pinan series or Heian series, maybe the Pal Gae series, and select one to modify its performance so that it falls in line with what your system teaches.

Trying to do this with a kata that's performed at the Yudansha level (such as Kanku, Kusanku, Bassai / Passai, Chinto / Gankaku, etc) isn't going to be too productive at this stage.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember that some styles require you to create a thesis kata for rank advancement. It is not uncommon for people to make kata up, but it needs to have some purpose. Not just kata for kata's sake.

Latest Discussions