Correct me if I am wrong:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not seeing a flaw in the line of logic. The chain of assumptions and priorities isn't in line with mine, but that's not the same thing.
Most of the examples seem unrealistic in light of... well... reality. Its weird writing, but nothing jumps out at me as being untrue.
Sean

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not that the argument is 'untrue'
But considering that the status quo is not how things would ban out in the long run.

For starters:
If you cut outside resources, like oil, you force the industry to compensate.
Many goods could be made in the US again, automation would be key to keep the price down. (It certainly would cut some of the quagmires we had with conterminated toys and foods. Now why on earth do we have to buy petfoods from China?!)

Buying US made does not include buying - or allowing only US made. Like Pineapples and Bananas and coffee. (I actually read about a small tea plantation not far from where I am back in the days....)

And the idea of buying only domestically made goods does not automatically demand taxes and duties on imports.

To me the article just throws a bunch of arguments into one pot that do not necessarily go together.

Not wrong, just flawed thinking.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem with the basic idea is that it means reversing the globalisation of labour and financing that has made the few rich at the expense of the many.

"Buy British" {or American as it would be in this case} has been tried in recessions before but that was back in the day when unions were too powerful and factory workers were newly wise to the disparity between the value of their labour and what they were getting paid for it. The result was that mechanical/electrical goods were not of sufficient quality to deserve the high price tags {tho' still built to last in those days} and so the drive failed.

But it is something that I have argued for before in dinner party chats - it's actually a very old idea called Protectionism and it was rejected in favour of Laissez Faire economics ... which is what has lead us to where we are now.

Latest Discussions