Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The corona virus scare is nothing but media hype and fearmongering. There is no epidemic in the USA and probably won’t be because of the precautions we are taking.

I would consider H1N1 flu to be closer to an epidemic. It’s killed more than 12000 people in the USA. Corona virus has killed about 20.

Wash your hands early and often.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The corona virus scare is nothing but media hype and fearmongering. There is no epidemic in the USA and probably won’t be because of the precautions we are taking.

I hope you are right but very much think you aren't.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mrs Xue is a trained TCM Doctor from China woh practices in the USA, In China she is an MD. I listen to her every-time the news is on and a politician is talking about how dire a situation this is.....her response is consistently...."SHUT UP!!!!" She says they have no clue, don't know what you are talking about, and have no medical background.

She is also continually asking why they don't report the flu as much, or quarantine people ad close schools because someone has the flu, the flu kills more people and is equally contagious.

It is a virus, it will make. you sick, follow the practices of hand washing and the other suggested things. Basically if you are not in the high risk group, you will be fine.
It is, IMHO a politically manufactured panic. Not that there are political reasons, it is that the politicians talking have no idea what they are talking about.
Listened to one over the past few days say, don't panic and in the next statement call it a life or death situation.......then the quarantine a bunch of folks and send in the national guard.....never asked an MD....just send in the military...and remember.....don't panic

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other countries are handling it differently though, we've had no 'panic' from the government here even though members of that government have the virus ( sorry but I am laughing here). the Chief Medical Officer, Public Health England and the NHS are taking the lead, no troops have been put anywhere. Financial measures have been put in place so people can self isolate, also measures for businesses if they loose money because of the virus. We can phone the NHS helpline ( a permanent one) to fine out where to be tested if we need to be.
The lead the government is taking is that yes it's an epidemic, may turn into a pandemic but 99% of people who catch it and many will, are going to get over it after a few uncomfortable days. Self isolation is necessary to protect those in the community who have underlying health issues notably COPD, heart disease and those with immune suppressing conditions and who are elderly.

As I said before there were plans laid up here years ago in case of an epidemic or pandemic.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) action plan

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would consider H1N1 flu to be closer to an epidemic. It’s killed more than 12000 people in the USA. Corona virus has killed about 20.

Wash your hands early and often.
well, the World Health Organization has declared Covid-19 to be a pandemic. I don't think that is just media hype and fearmongering.

here is one news site reporting it, i've seen several including Time and NPR, although I don't yet see it in the WHO website. Maybe i'm just missing it. Coronavirus updates live: WHO declares COVID-19 disease to be a pandemic

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
well, the World Health Organization has declared Covid-19 to be a pandemic. I don't think that is just media hype and fearmongering.

here is one news site reporting it, i've seen several including Time and NPR, although I don't yet see it in the WHO website. Maybe i'm just missing it. Coronavirus updates live: WHO declares COVID-19 disease to be a pandemic

Pandemic - (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

WHO - Pandemic
Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.

Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO’s assessment of the threat posed by this virus. It doesn’t change what WHO is doing, and it doesn’t change what countries should do.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seattle Public Schools just closed for at least 2 weeks.

I'm going to cancel my class for tonight and then reassess.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want to scare yourself have a look at all the other epidemic going on in the world. Disease outbreaks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accept that we apparently have secret immortals in our midst.

No not really, we have written records here from Roman times onwards, including records of all the plagues here which sadly were many ( big one 664-689 BCE) the one people tend to remember as being the first was in 1350 BCE, It came back in 1361-64, 1368, 1371, 1373-75, 1390, 1405 and continued into the fifteenth century. There was also the 'London' Plagues of 1563, 1592, 1603 and 1625. The next biggest the 'Great Plague' was 1665-66, another in 1775-76 then 1832 then 1854 cholera.
There's 500 years worth of written parliamentary records stored in the House of Commons alone. the National Archives has written records for the past thousand years. anyone can have access to them, I use them quite often for information as I am a historian by inclination, these include

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No not really, we have written records here from Roman times onwards, including records of all the plagues here which sadly were many ( big one 664-689 BCE) the one people tend to remember as being the first was in 1350 BCE, It came back in 1361-64, 1368, 1371, 1373-75, 1390, 1405 and continued into the fifteenth century. There was also the 'London' Plagues of 1563, 1592, 1603 and 1625. The next biggest the 'Great Plague' was 1665-66, another in 1775-76 then 1832 then 1854 cholera.
There's 500 years worth of written parliamentary records stored in the House of Commons alone. the National Archives has written records for the past thousand years. anyone can have access to them, I use them quite often for information as I am a historian by inclination, these include
Not sure if it came off right through text, but I was joking. And from studying vikings I'm well aware + the rise/spread of christianity, I'm well aware that kept much better records than people probably expect of the time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it came off right through text, but I was joking. And from studying vikings I'm well aware + the rise/spread of christianity, I'm well aware that kept much better records than people probably expect of the time.

I know you were joking :) I was writing that more to 'annoy' XS again! :D than actually answer you.
The parchments from William the Conqueror's time are something to see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions