Conference aims to normalize pedophilia

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Conference aims to normalize pedophilia
By John Rossomando - The Daily Caller Excerpt:
10:00 AM 08/15/2011

If a small group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals have their way at a conference this week, pedophiles themselves could play a role in removing pedophilia from the American Psychiatric Association’s bible of mental illnesses — the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), set to undergo a significant revision by 2013. Critics warn that their success could lead to the decriminalization of pedophilia.

The August 17 Baltimore conference is sponsored by B4U-ACT, a group of pro-pedophile mental health professionals and sympathetic activists. According to the conference brochure, the event will examine “ways in which minor-attracted persons [pedophiles] can be involved in the DSM 5 revision process” and how the popular perceptions of pedophiles can be reframed to encourage tolerance.

Researchers from Harvard University, the Johns Hopkins University, the University of Louisville, and the University of Illinois will be among the panelists at the conference.

B4U-ACT has been active attacking the APA’s definition of pedophilia in the run up to the conference, denouncing its description of “minor-attracted persons” as “inaccurate” and “misleading” because the current DSM links pedophilia with criminality.

“It is based on data from prison studies, which completely ignore the existence of those who are law-abiding,” said Howard Kline, science director of B4U-ACT, in a July 25, 2011 press release. “The proposed new diagnostic criteria specify ages and frequencies with no scientific basis whatsoever.”

The press release announced a letter the group sent to the APA criticizing its approach, and inviting its leaders to participate in the August 17 conference. “The DSM should meet a higher standard than that,” Kline continued. “We can help them, because we are the people they are writing about.”

APA spokeswoman Erin Connors told The Daily Caller in an emailed statement that her organization was not participating in the conference and would not comment on its aims.

Child advocate Dr. Judith Reisman, a visiting professor at Liberty University’s School of Law, said the conference is part of a strategy to condition people into accepting pedophiles.

END EXCERPT
There are some people who SHOULD be shot down like mad dogs.

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
A very odd one that. Although paedophilia is a mental health issue and criminalisation might make things worse, convicted paedophiles should still be kept out of society as they pose a danger to children. I think the only real debate would be over whether it is in a prison or a secure psychiatric facility.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A very odd one that. Although paedophilia is a mental health issue and criminalisation might make things worse, convicted paedophiles should still be kept out of society as they pose a danger to children. I think the only real debate would be over whether it is in a prison or a secure psychiatric facility.
Graves are fairly secure, I vote for putting them in graves.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm all for accurate research. If they can provide information that can improve prevention and treatment, that's commendable.

I don't think they have the potential to decriminalize pedophilia though. Each form of drug addiction has its own code and treatment protocol in the current DSM, but drug activity itself (manufacture, business transaction, and use) are all still enthusiastically prosecuted. There is a difference between having a tendency for a certain behavior, and acting on it. Modern psychiatry gets that - treat the tendency as an illness, prosecute when someone slips and inflicts harm through their actions. I'm okay with that.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a mental health professional, the article is misleading I think. There has been talk about revising the DSM to differentiate those who act on pedophilia and those who have the disorder but do not engage in the practices. The idea is that a person may have the mental illness of being attracted to children but have the control to not act on it, the revision would aim to help keep those on the fringe of commiting a heinous act to get diagnosed early and get pre-emptive treatment.

Any discussion of decriminalizing the act would be from a seculded fringe group and would never see the light of day in any serious discussion as to what goes into the DSM V or DSM V-TR. People who can't control themselves with this condition should be dealt with swiftly and severely.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time understanding how removing the diagnosis from the next DSM can help. Aren't there definitions for sociopathic behaviours in the DSM? If a person is having homicidal thoughts, can't they voluntarily seek emergency treatment much like a person having suicidal thoughts?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time understanding how removing the diagnosis from the next DSM can help. Aren't there definitions for sociopathic behaviours in the DSM? If a person is having homicidal thoughts, can't they voluntarily seek emergency treatment much like a person having suicidal thoughts?
Those having pedophilic thoughts, can rush to the target line at the local gun range

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are enough people that don't sweep their brass...what makes ya think they are going to clean up their used paedophile targets? :p

Last edited:
OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are enough people that don't sweep their brass...what makes ya think they are going to clean up their used paedophile targets? :p
Realistic moving targets!!! Fun for all

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Realistic moving targets!!! Fun for all

There is an ironic downside to the massive taboo on pedophilia and pedophiles. It's such a strong cultural bias* that many people are probably afraid to seek treatment for it. Thus, potentially, increasing the likelihood that they might act on their impulses.

* I am not defending pedophilia with this observation. Pedophilia sucks.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But isn't there a strong cultural bias against murderers too?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
* I am not defending pedophilia with this observation. Pedophilia sucks.
Fortunately, I, for one, am far to mature to note the unfortunate turn of phrase there.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you been watching hollwood lately. For example, there is a Kevin Bacon movie called, I think, the woodsman. The hero of the story is a convicted child abuser, which he excuses because she was a teenager. It portrays him in a sympathetic light and he saves the day by catching another molester. I don't believe it is the only movie that has this plot either. Corey Feldman, or the other Corey, the one who didn't kill himself, talked about this topic and how it is one of the big secrets in holllywood, how much this activity goes on. He held it partly responsible for the messed up psychology of the other corey.

You can also look at Roman Polanski, and the way he has been treated by the hollywood elite as a victim of artistically challenged prudes. I believe the guy who played Two face in the dark night was in another movie about this sort of activity with an underage girl, and then you have the Oscar winning American Beauty, true, the Kevin Spacey character didn't follow all the way thru, but look how far and how sympathetic that character was supposed to be.

Here is an article about normalizing this in hollywood, it brings up the two-face guy movie, the movie "Doubt," and the roman polanski defence in hollywood. And to be fair, the kate Winslet movie "the reader." I think the ex-wife of Tom Cruise, the red head, did a movie on this topic as well.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...llywoods-push-to-normalize-sex-with-children/

Also mentioned: "notes on a scandal" "Little Children."

Last edited:

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, you're partly right about the Woodsman. I think it's an exploration of the idea of transcendence. The character is very active about not relapsing. He has a therapist and he's honest with him. He offers to help with the investigation of the other pedophile and the detective responds by insulting him. Ultimately he catches himself on the brink of a relapse and sees his prospective victim as a human being who is already being victimized by another. With this, he sees the error of his ways. He can't turn in the other pedophile himself because the detective had already made it clear that he wouldn't listen to him, so he beats him up instead. When the second pedophile is recovering in the hospital the detective sees he's a wanted man and makes the arrest, taking all the credit.

In short, like many a criminal he rises above his past and becomes a better person. I don't know how common that is, but it can be more common if we support people as they actively work toward rehabilitation. And support people as they work to prevent themselves from committing a crime in the first place.

Doubt isn't exactly about pedophilia. It's about how we handle allegations of pedophilia. The story is very good about creating doubt on both sides (did he or didn't he?) and, ultimately, one of the characters loses her faith when the situation is handled poorly.

I do agree with you on Roman Polanski et al. I don't think that's a reflection on Hollywood though but on American culture in general. They just get the press for it because they're already in the spotlight.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen the Woodsman, Man Without A Face, and others. Trying to give the "other-side" of the coin so that all's fair in love and war.
Now how about "Sleepers" anyone remember that Kevin Bacon film? There are others as well. Remember any of those titles? Difficult isn't it? Because it's from the victim's view-point and probably too damned close to home. Life long effects long after the deed is done. Having to grow up with that, shame, pain, guilt, confusion fear, hatred, self loathing and all of that... buried DEEP down inside so that everyone looking at the outside will say... "what a nice normal, happy person this is."
We've argued the topic pedophilia to ad-nausem <sic> here on MT. Desiring horrific fates to those that commit the crimes (and they ARE crimes) yet rarely speaking of/for/by the victims.

Now these morons of the psychiatric community want to normalize it. Perhaps they're closet pedos themselves just don't want (it) to be illegal if/when they get caught. Nobody fancies getting raped in prison.

I gotten a letter from a fellow who was ostracized from my caving community because he was found, tried, convicted of multiple pedophile acts. Basically his letter was in askance if I would consider going caving with him when he is released (soon) from incarceration... provided that we don't talk about why/how he is in prison.
I've yet to reply and more-n-likely won't. Not that I don't want anything else to do with the guy and I don't, but more because I don't think there is a rehabilitation for this. It's like a bear or lion or tiger that was happy in the wild until it tasted human flesh and now is a man-eater. Taste the fruit of a child and you're hooked... for life. Probably won't do it again for a year, two, five, ten, mebbe 15 but the thoughts that pass like a meteor through the brain as a child of their preference gets in their sight-line.

No, they need to keep it criminal and make the punishments harsh and unforgiving.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one seems to say its description of “minor-attracted persons” as “inaccurate” and “misleading” when a Catholic priest is potentially at fault.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
wtf????

That said, I don't care if they do say pedos arent mentally ill. They're probably not, lots of em are very intelligent. I'd have a problem with someone wanting it decriminalized.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No one seems to say its description of &#8220;minor-attracted persons&#8221; as &#8220;inaccurate&#8221; and &#8220;misleading&#8221; when a Catholic priest is potentially at fault.

Actually I was thinking that the term "minor-attracted" was pretty misleading. There`s a different word, ephibophilia I think, for a person attracted to a minor who is in late puberty (say ages 15-17ish). The definition of pedophilia that I learned was someone attracted to a child who hasn`t yet entered puberty. It comes from the same Greek base as pedeotritian, a child doctor. Ephebophila is illegal, but has never been considered a mental illness unless it interferes with the person`s daily life.

There`s a big difference between the creep that steals a few glances at the cheerleaders at a high school game, and the creep who steals a few glances at the 8 and 9 yr old kids in Toys R Us.

Latest Discussions