Competitive sparring drills

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to ask everyone some of their favorite sparring drills, as I have been honored to coach a competitive sparring and forms class every Friday night. I want my main focus to be conditioning as well as offensive and defensive drills.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For sparring, the best drill is, well, sparring. Second best is shadow boxing, for the time of a complete round. Line drills utilizing the sparring combinations the student will spar with are also helpful.

For forms, practice is essential. Students tend to perform better when they understand the application of the movements; they are easier to remember, and they tend to perform the movements more correctly if they know the application. Forms drills include progressive (1st move, return, 1st and 2nd move, return, 1st-3rd move, return, etc. to end of pattern), slow (for technique), fast (to check memory of pattern), in a box (complete pattern inside a proscribed area, usually 2 stances square), hands only, feet only, stances only, blindfolded...

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey. I'm more interested in sparring drills. I am a stickler on the forms end. I figure if I nit pick every little thing in practice, then they stand a really good chance of doing very well at the actual competition.

My main focus is seeing if there are any sparring drills that I may be unaware of. After 20 some odd years of competition myself, I have seen and done them all, but there may be some new ones out there.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paddle drills, multiple holders at diferent angle and giving a certain kick combonation for the competitor to follow, like this. Three person holding six paddles at six different level at different location in the sqaure circle and then telling your competitor to throws this six combo kicks in this amount of time in this exact order. I t will certainly help with speed and accuacy.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stand in front of a full sized mirror to shadow box. Pay particular attention to your open spots, where your hands go when you kick, when you block...ect.

Also, have a friend video tape you sparring or video tape yourself shadow bowing. Remember while looking at the video you're looking at technique and form not what you "look" like.

LOL

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone....these are some good ideas. I appreciate your input.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let us know how they worked for you

Terry, the classes will be starting the beginning of Feb. Til then I'm putting together a workout schedule consisting of alot of conditioning, and will include some of the suggestions given to me here. I will keep you posted as to how it is progressing for sure.

Latest Discussions