Comedian George Carlin dies at 71

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CNN just reported that George Carlin died a few hours ago from heart failure.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i was just watching him the other night,he kept me laughing,RIP

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether I saw him live or on tv, he always brought a smile to my face.

RIP George. :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The man was a pioneer of a new breed of comedy...He will be missd...

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
8_4_131.gif
Here's to his memory.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sigh. Sometimes crude, often times vulgar but an insightful and brilliant comedian that made us laugh AND think twice about ourselves. His best work was anything that had to deal with our language and how we use it, made us think twice about what we were about to say and how we say it. In many ways he was like a University Sociology Professor that made us laugh. Even if we've heard it more than a dozen times.

One of the all time greats.

:asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Loved what he said in the interview:

"...the only thing I've learned is not to commit heinous crimes. That's one of the things that I detest most in people, is umm, is being unkind. To anyone but especially to people that you have more pull or who have less power than you.
<snip>... just put up a big sign or say it loudly..."Gee, he was just here a minnit ago." That's the way I want to be remembered. "

You'll always be remembered George.

Found this http://www.iceboxman.com/carlin/pael.php a transcript of one of my favorite Carlin albums. Including the monologue Euphemisms (fair warning: adult language and topics). Reading it won't be the same as hearing it without his tonal inflections, silly voices and emphasis' on certain lines but it does show the brilliance and depth of thinking of the man.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HBO2 is re-running most of his HBO specials over tonight (starting soon) and tomorrow. SNL is re-running the first episode, which he hosted, on Sat. (possibly at an earlier than usual time).

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard a live interview with him on the radio just a couple of weeks ago. He was excited about some new material he had for his act. He had alot of plans for the future. Bummer... We never know how much time we have.