Come On Laura!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently watching a wonderful match between Laura Robson (GBR) and Maria Sharapova (RUS) on Court 1.

Who would have thought it? Little Laura, ranked 250+ in the world, taking it to the mat with world number 6 Sharapova! I'm quite emotional I admit - I'm a sucker for David and Goliath stories :eek:.

Some fabulous tennis so far - I just hope Laura can hold it together after an epic first set that she just lost on the tie-break after she was unsettled a bit by one call that she thought was in but actually missed by about 1mm!

Some comparison's for those who know nothing about who-is-who in the tennis world:

http://www.siberiansiren.com/

http://www.laura-robson.net/

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a great story! Go Laura!

I have to admit I don't know that much about tennis, but several years ago I had a flat-mate who was a very active tennis player. He would often watch the big tennis matches on TV. I love a good sports competition, but I didn't know anything about tennis. He was very patient at explaining a bit more of what was going on...it is a very exciting game to watch once you get a feel for it!

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, Goliath was just too strong in the end but Laura fought for all she was worth and you can't ask more of a warrior than that, whether she wirlds a sword or a tennis racket.

I am genuinely upset for her tho' and exhausted too as I fought with her for every shot and every point :(.

This is what it meant to her as she went down two sets to love and cut loose a scream of defiance and frustration:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another good match I watched yesterday (thank you BBC's multiscreen :)) was Baltacha (GBR) vs Peng (CHN). The British lass lost but for a time I really believed she was going to do it.

Elena fought with real determination and played excellently, which bodes well for the future - I think that change in her attitude is in some part due to her new coach ... he's a kick-boxer rather than a tennis player!

A good article in the Daily Mirror about the match:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sport...2011-with-her-head-held-high-115875-23225095/

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm betting they'll be available on the iPlayer, Indie - do you have access to that?