Circular arm movements?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed it excuse my ignorance but chinese MA uses a lot of circular arm movements especially with punches in particular. Is this a true characteristic? Puches are made circular and not so much just straight ahead unless a opening is found of course. Maybe I watch waaaay too many movies but I have noticed it. Is it just movies or is it style or am I completely off?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This tends to be true, you will see much more circular and flowing movements in Chinese martial arts (not all, but in general)

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I have noticed it excuse my ignorance but chinese MA uses a lot of circular arm movements especially with punches in particular. Is this a true characteristic? Puches are made circular and not so much just straight ahead unless a opening is found of course. Maybe I watch waaaay too many movies but I have noticed it. Is it just movies or is it style or am I completely off?

I'm not sure if I completely understand the question. I agree with FC that generally there are more circular movements in CMA, but I'm not sure I would agree with saying "especially with punches". Punches may be offline, but from what I have experienced and seen they are straight punches. Shortest distance between two points and all. Wing Chun is a good example of a style that utilizes the straight line.

Now that I am rereading what I wrote, it occured to me that you could also be referring to wheel punches. They would definitely fit into the circular category of punches. I don't know if I would go as far to say that it they out-weight the usage of straight punches though.

But again, this is all based on my experiences and exposure to mainly southern kung fu. It may be a totally different story for the northern art.

With all respect.

::salute::

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
Now that I am rereading what I wrote, it occured to me that you could also be referring to wheel punches. They would definitely fit into the circular category of punches. I don't know if I would go as far to say that it they out-weight the usage of straight punches though.

What is a "wheel punch"?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Fan Che by name... found a lot in NPM stuff & long fist styles

Can you describe it? The name isn't familiar, but we have a lot of circular punches with weird names as well...maybe we call it something else.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xingyi, Bagua, Tai Chi all have circular strikes and movements. Heck just about everything in Bagua is circular. But there are straight strikes as well, particularly in Xingyi. You also have both horizontal and vertical circles, particularly in Tai Chi and Bagua, but you can find them in Xingyi too.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Can you describe it? The name isn't familiar, but we have a lot of circular punches with weird names as well...maybe we call it something else.
Think about lin waan kahp choi almost... a continuing series of kahp chois thrown, while like a deep ding ji ma, forward over the knee. That's the idea of it anyway.

It kinda could look like somebody out doing a breast stroke in open air with no body rotation though.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Think about lin waan kahp choi almost... a continuing series of kahp chois thrown, while like a deep ding ji ma, forward over the knee. That's the idea of it anyway.

It kinda could look like somebody out doing a breast stroke in open air with no body rotation though.

Gotcha. basically a Kahp choi type punch. One of our basics.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

A good way of describing it is as if your arms are chains and your fists are iron balls attached to them. There is generally a lot of waist in these movements to help generate more power. (kup choy, kum choy... etc.) I apologize for not describing it better. But it is definitely a circular movement that would fit into what was initially described.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Exactly, just done continuously & with both arms in alternating motion.

clfsean, I'm not sure if I am understanding your statement, but our wheel punches are not performed in a continuous motion. For example, in kup choy the front hand would come down vertically striking with the back of the fist (knuckles) while the rear hand circles right behind it striking with the front of the fist or more appropriately the knuckles. Now this movement can easily be combined by other wheel punches to create combinations.

Wheel punches in general are great for clearing a path with more than one attacker or for destroying the guard and then immediately following that up with a quick fierce strike.

If I am misunderstanding you, I apologize.

With all respect.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
clfsean, I'm not sure if I am understanding your statement, but our wheel punches are not performed in a continuous motion. For example, in kup choy the front hand would come down vertically striking with the back of the fist (knuckles) while the rear hand circles right behind it striking with the front of the fist or more appropriately the knuckles. Now this movement can easily be combined by other wheel punches to create combinations.

What you kinda described right there is more along the lines of a gwa choi/kahp choi for me.

We probably play the technique simularly (CLF v. Jow Ga) but there's enough of a difference to be different.

The Fan Che (Wheel Punch) I was talking about is a NPM technique that's likened more to the lin waan kahp choi.

funnytiger said:
Wheel punches in general are great for clearing a path with more than one attacker or for destroying the guard and then immediately following that up with a quick fierce strike.

Oh yeah... we use a lot of gwa/kahp, gwa/chop/sau, gwa/jeurng type of techniques for opening & entering.

funnytiger said:
If I am misunderstanding you, I apologize.

With all respect.

Nah... none needed. Different ways of doing the same thing doesn't always mean the same words.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
What you kinda described right there is more along the lines of a gwa choi/kahp choi for me.

We probably play the technique simularly (CLF v. Jow Ga) but there's enough of a difference to be different.

The Fan Che (Wheel Punch) I was talking about is a NPM technique that's likened more to the lin waan kahp choi.

Oh yeah... we use a lot of gwa/kahp, gwa/chop/sau, gwa/jeurng type of techniques for opening & entering.

Nah... none needed. Different ways of doing the same thing doesn't always mean the same words.

Thanks, clfsean. Sometimes I can come off as being a bit... shall we say highly opinionated. I'm hoping to be able to share some of my views without wearing out my welcome. :asian:

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info you guys. That really helped alot.
I am trying on using different punches instead of just str8 punches to help me add a lil more variety as well as create more openings.