Chung Suk Guhapdo

• Thread starter Master Todd Miller
  • Start date
M

Master Todd Miller

We practice a Korean Sword art, Chung Suk Guhapdo.

Chung Suk (Blue Stone - quick display sword). The Headmaster is GM Lim, hyun Soo, Taegu South Korea.

The different aspects include,
Forms
Cutting
Sparring
Hapki defense
Training excersises

Guhapdo has similarities with Iai, Kumdo and traditional Korean sword styles.

It is not very wide spread yet but is growing very fast in the USA and Holland.

Any comments

Take care
Master
Todd Miller

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the interest of getting discussion going on the Korean sword section, I went to the back of the rack. Not hard, given that the section consists of only one full page and a second page with a paltry two topics.

There were two threads on this style, one being this one, and one from 2007. Neither had any responses, so I quoted the more recent one,

Here is a clip of Chung Suk Kuhapdo demonstrated by Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo, President of the Jung Ki Kwan in Daegu City , South Korea. Grandmaster Lim studied Hapkido with Founder Choi, Yong Sul for 19 years. 9 of those years were special private Hapkido lessons.

Over the years, Grandmaster Lim studied sword arts with highly respected sword teachers. In 1986 he released a Korean style sword art called Chung Suk Kuhapdo.

The Jung Ki Kwan website is www.jungkikwan.com

For further info about Kuhapdo visit:
http://user.chollian.net/~jungki74/english/english-chungsukkuhap2.htm

To see a video clip of Grandmaster Lim demonstrating Chung Suk Kuhapdo visit:

http://www.jkknh.com/VideoGallery/images/GMLIM_KHD1.mp4

If anyone is interested in learning and incorporating Jung Ki Hapkido or Kuhapdo art into their dojang, please contact me, one of the other Kuhapdo American representatives, or Grandmaster Lim.

and replied to the older one.

I know that Kuhapdo/guhapdo is the Korean reading of 居合道, for which the Japanese reading is Iaido. I watched the video, and while I am not an iaidoka, I am a longtime sword art practitioner and a sword art instructor, so I have some opinions on the execution by the gentleman in the video. I will withold those however, as I would like to hear the opinions of others first.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Daniel Sullivan

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was ... different. I have never heard of this art before so I totally missed this topic.
I thought he looked like he was in a big hurry. The sword bouncing at the end of his cuts and chiburis annoyed me. The part I thought was good was, well it was something different to see.

Latest Discussions