• Mr.Magoo

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did this post a few years ago and it got a lot of hits..So I decided to do a new one along with a new poll...Bill Murray was NOT included because he was not playing Scrooge, he played a Scrooge like character named Frank Cross...

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alistair Simms did a good job as best as could be done for the day... he's the Scrooge that I remember best. Albert Finney the singing "Thank You Very Much" Scrooge I've always enjoyed as it was over the top but nicely done.
Don't even regard the Magoo Scrooge. Scott's performance was... o.k.
Can't recall if I've seen the other(s).

This fable still hasn't quite been given it's proper treatment in full. More likely they're given director's treatments than trying to get the gist of the novel and what the author was truly trying to say. That the poor (Ignorance and Want) are not to be snubbed or ignored as the wealthy go about their business of increasing their holdings.

A rare book that carries it's theme into modern times.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have Michael Caine!

[yt]KBthi_An5qQ[/yt]

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry bout that....That was the Muppets...Never saw that one....

It was great, Drac... we watch it several times every Christmas. It's almost as good as Muppet Treasure Island, than which there is no whicher, as me mum used to say...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Alistair Simms did a good job as best as could be done for the day... he's the Scrooge that I remember best. Albert Finney the singing "Thank You Very Much" Scrooge I've always enjoyed as it was over the top but nicely done.

Saw the Alistar Simms version as a kid and never forgot it...I saw version with Albert Finney while in Sr. High and fell in love with it, and I agree the song " Thank You Very Much" was excellent..The George C. Scott version was OK..I mentioned the Magoo's Christmas Carol cause someone whined and sniveled that he was omitted last time..

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw the Alistar Simms version as a kid and never forgot it...The also loved the version with Albert Finney and I agree the song " Thank You Very Much" was excellent..The George C. Scott version was OK..I mentioned the Magoo's Christmas Carol cause someone whined and sniveled that he was omitted last time..

This was another great song... (probably for another thread but...fitting here since it does give the feel for the story... especially the first spoken lines by the Ghost of Christmas Present)

Ghost of Christmas Present: (spoken)
Ebenezer Scrooge
The sins of man are huge
A neverending symphony
Of villainy and infamy
Duplicity, deceit, and subtefuge
And no one's worse than Ebenezer Scrooge
Though man's a handy candidate for Hell
I must admit life sometimes has it's brighter side as well
(sings)
I like life
Life likes me
Life and I fairly fully agree
Life is fine
Life is good
'Specially mine, which is just as it should be
I like pouring the wine and why not?
Life's a pleasure that I deny not

I like life
Here and now
Life and I made a mutual vow
'Till I die
Life and I
We'll both try to be better somehow
And if life were a woman
She would be my wife

Scrooge (spoken)
Why?

Ghost of Christmas Present (sings)
Why?
Because I like life!
full song lyrics here... http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/s/scroogelyrics/ilikelifelyrics.html
Of course imbibing deeply into the milk of human kindness Scrooge/Finney gets into the song joyfully!

IMO still one of the best versions

Last edited:
OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was another great song... (probably for another thread but...fitting here since it does give the feel for the story... especially the first spoken lines by the Ghost of Christmas Present)

Of course imbibing deeply into the milk of human kindness Scrooge/Finney gets into the song joyfully!

IMO still one of the best versions

Right after I logged off here last night I went downstairs to turn off the TV ..Lo and behold the Albert Finney version was just starting...Now I own this version but I still had to sit down and watch it..I was happy that they showed the uncut version, too many stations will omit Scrooge's arrival in Hell...The films finale is GREAT....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Right after I logged off here last night I went downstairs to turn off the TV ..Lo and behold the Albert Finney version was just starting...Now I own this version but I still had to sit down and watch it..I was happy that they showed the uncut version, too many stations will omit Scrooge's arrival in Hell...The films finale is GREAT....
Oh yeah, that part I remember very well and always look forward to it... as it depicted hell as not necessarily being a big pit of fire and brimstone but one fitting to how you treated others in life. Awesome effects for the day.
Guess Scrooge shouldn't have followed old Obi-wan on some damned fool idealistic crusade.

Latest Discussions