Choke Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tengu9

I'm having trouble finding any online information on the following chokes.

Is Hon Jime simply your standard bar choke from behind?

Also, is Gyaku Jime the same as a guillotine choke?

One more! Is Ude Jime a standing 'scarf choke?'

Thanks in advance!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu9,

Welcome to martialtalk.

I think that you should go to your instructor and have him demonstrate the chokes. There may be similarities with what you are thinking, but the small differences are all so important. And some people may know the Bujinkan style chokes without knowing the terms you used.

OP
T

Tengu9

I don't mean to be rude, but I just played this game on E-Budo. Does anyone know the chokes or not?

The terminology is foreign to Ju jutsu, BTW.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope for your own sake you mean kata-wise...?
Me? I guess.
perhaps people dont understand that I wear a white belt. and like white belts, I want info before I continue to devote years of time in which may or may not be a potential waste of time. Na mean?

Kata-wise (which I'm guessing means no Henka/variants) than yes, BJJ contains, literally, almost fifty "different" chokes. using your belt, using your fingers, legs, arms, lapel chokes, gi chokes, sleeve chokes, body chokes, etc

I am just curious, and I am sure Tengu9 is too.

Please?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Me? I guess.
Yeah, you.:) :asian: (if it's still unclear, my previous post was addressed to Shogun)

Shogun said:
perhaps people dont understand that I wear a white belt. and like white belts, I want info before I continue to devote years of time in which may or may not be a potential waste of time. Na mean?
Sure, absolutely. But I don't think you mean to imply that whether or not it's a waste of time depends on the amount of choking techniques in the Bujinkan, right?:asian: Come to think of it, the choking techniques I've practiced kata-wise have mostly come Takagi Yoshin ryu, but while practicing Koto ryu and Gyokko ryu I've also seen defenses against them. Listing all of the chokes I've seen throughout my training would probably take quite some time, hence my previous post. One thing's for sure though, I'll never forget the first time I was taught choke techniques kata-wise with various applications following, when our instructor, based on his experience as a bouncer and security guard, demonstrated how to throw out dopeheads from a night club. :ultracool

OP
B

Blind

I think the problem here is you haven't (and possibly can't) describe accurately what you mean by a bar choke from behind. Sankaku jime for example also springs to my mind when you say that.

As Don said to try and write a "how to" is really tough to do, and thats assuming you are talking only about the chokes placed on the neck.

Ten years ago when I imagined that I knew what all the "basic techniques" were and could name them at the drop of a hat, I might have tried to type an answer. Left hand under left lapel...etc but actually all my material with names of techniques is gathering dust in a box somewhere. At the classes I usually go to very little is mentioned of names so I admit I have forgotten most of what went with what.

Shogun:
As for how many there are I have never bothered to count, I seem to remember only a few being in the Ten Chi Jin(5-ish??) I have no idea in regard to the different schools. Really though there is no meaning to the number, if you make them reversed, add weapons, use different parts of your body to apply them, or clothing, add pain(ie itami jime) I am sure there are others, what relevance is a number? I guess if you just watch what Hatsumi sensei does with one technique and what form(S) it takes you will no doubt get what I mean.

To finish up- don't feel like you're being rude or that people aren't answering you on purpose, maybe the guys who have a text handy and can help you out just haven't read your post yet. I am just trying to point out why you may be having these problems getting a reply.

OP
T

Tengu9

Does Hon Jime = one arm across the throat from behind uke, i.e. your standard "thug" choke or a naked choke without the head crank.

Gyaku Jime?

Ude Jime?

I am slowly becoming convinced that these are made up names by some concieted 15th dan.

I'd appreciate any clarification.

And Don, thank you, but these chokes are straight out of the Buj curriculum.

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tengu9 said:
Does Hon Jime
Gyaku Jime?

Ude Jime?

I am slowly becoming convinced that these are made up names by some concieted 15th dan.

curriculum.

I am sure there would be a few of those concieted 15th dans willing to demonstrate them on you and explain what they were if you turned up to thier class .
Then again when you act like a spoiled child who can't get his way here and on other boards, I doubt there would be many people willing to teach you .
Try looking up this Kikurenshu. :rolleyes:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE:

PLEASE KEEP THE CONVERSATION POLITE AND RESPECTFUL

-TECHNOPUNK
-MT MODERATOR

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
- Is Hon Jime simply your standard bar choke from behind?

No.

- Also, is Gyaku Jime the same as a guillotine choke?

No.

- One more! Is Ude Jime a standing 'scarf choke?'

Don't know what a standing scarf choke is. I will say the only Ude Jime I see in the TCJ is Ude Sankaku Jime.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
honjime = basic choke to front of throat using opponent's lapels

gyakujime = reverse choke - same as honjime, but the hand that does the choking is reversed.

udejime = arm strangle (use your imagination)

sankakujime = three point (triangle choke) - done from behind

your welcome.

OP
T

Tengu9

Shizen Shigoku, THANK YOU.

Koinu: To be spoiled you have to get what you ask for, which I never did. Look it up. Thank you for magnificently demonstrating the benevolent heart Soke speaks of. (i.e. Shouldn't you be on E-Budo with the other rude people?)

OP
E

Elizium

Tengu9 said:
Shizen Shigoku, THANK YOU.

Koinu: To be spoiled you have to get what you ask for, which I never did. Look it up. Thank you for magnificently demonstrating the benevolent heart Soke speaks of. (i.e. Shouldn't you be on E-Budo with the other rude people?)
If you speak nicely, you will get your answers. The reason for the lack of response is due to people that have no teaching in chokes or in budo.

Look at the what if? Now that they are explained,what would happen if some Uber ninja decided to practice this on a fellow student? Injury? Brain damage? Major lawsuit? Death?

Chokes are not readily available due to those concerns. This is why you ask nice on these forums. If you go around saying that someone should be on e-budo due to them giving you a remark that is not in your favor, just ignore it and move on.

I was not prepared to answer you on this subject at first. But as it has been answered then I will say Show us some respect, and you will get it back in return.

Now, if you excuse me, I am off to toss some Halibut at a poor begger woman from 1902AD

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note.

Keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

**Please review our sniping policy.**

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

I am not going to post another warning.

Thank you.

-TECHNOPUNK
-MT Moderator-

Bunkai

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sean! Where do you train, and where do you live? I would be more than happy to to demonstrate the techniques for you! This is a great opportunity for you, most of us have to pay for such training!
Gambatte!

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tengu9 said:
And Don, thank you, but these chokes are straight out of the Buj curriculum.
Um... What Buj curriculum? Never heard of it. Could you please explain what you think the curriculum is? I've been at this a number of years and I honestly couldn't tell you....

As to your having to "play this game" here and elsewhere, what's amazing about information is that if others don't want you to have it, they needn't share it with you. Setting aside your COMPLETE lack of rights to ANY of the information in anyone else's brain, I think people were honestly answering your question. All I can say is: You'll understand some day if you train.

As for the number of chokes, I'd say I know a few thousand, give or take a few thousand. Most of them work...most of the time.

-ben

OP
T

Tengu9

I came across the chokes online somewhere. Try a Google search, they should come up. I'd never heard of them either. That's why I wanted to know what they were (but apparently that was asking too much).

Allow me to make a crystal clear point:

I know lots of chokes, but was unsure what those particular NAMES meant.

And Ben, if someone doesn't want to answer my question, FINE, but there is absolutely no reason why they should jerk me around and play word games. Either answer the question or don't. It really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.