Choice Between Two Styles

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Recently I've found a Kung Fu school. They teach Choy Lay Fut (Hung Sing) and Wing Chun. Both instructors are into the traditional aspect, but also compete in combat sports (San Shou and Light Continuous) Besides the excellent teaching, both styles interest me very much. And I'm having a hard time choosing. I'll be taking free classes of both. (already had one of Wing Chun which was fantastic)

I think of it like this. Writing both pros and cons of each style.

Wing Chun:

Pros: Great infighting, directness, simplicity, efficiant, great linear attack, will probably compliment my HKD well

Cons: Lacks some power, almost no kicks

Choy Lay Fut:

Pros: Powerful, angular, a mix of hand strikes, feet strikes, and throws, better for San Shou (something I would like to compete in)

Cons: Infighting is lacking, while great angle attacks not alot of linear ones

Both styles are great.

I was wondering if someone could guide me into which one. Or at least give your opinions on each style.

Tatsuya

White Belt
Reaction score
I've always had the same problem, trying to decide which styles I'd like to study. Choy li fut features the five animals, which is something that has always interested me, and uses more circular movements and swinging motions. Wing chun is a short range style and they employ such practices as sticky hands and often time will use the wooden dummies for training. Bruce Lee was a notable practitioner of wing chun.

You can find out a bunch here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_martial_arts

this page has probably eighty-something styles listed and gives a general overview of each. Hopefully that helps - good luck.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love both styles.

I love Wing chun for it's quick linear attacks, and it's close fighting. I love Choy Lay Fut for it's power and angles.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Choy Lay Fut:

Pros: Powerful, angular, a mix of hand strikes, feet strikes, and throws, better for San Shou (something I would like to compete in)

Cons: Infighting is lacking, while great angle attacks not alot of linear ones

Both styles are great.

I was wondering if someone could guide me into which one. Or at least give your opinions on each style.

CLF doesn't lack in-fighting. If you don't see it or it isn't shown is a different story, but it's not lacking in any sense of the word.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen so far (and I am new to both arts) Choy Lay Fut is a distance art, that like to stay at a distance to deliever the overwhelming techniques and strikes.

CLF doesn't lack in-fighting. If you don't see it or it isn't shown is a different story, but it's not lacking in any sense of the word.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I envy your choices.

I have done a little Wing Chun but I never had the chance to try Choy Li Fut.

I can only say I liked the simplicity of Wing Chun. I do not mean it is simply but that it is uncomplicated in its approach. But form what I have read about Choy Li Fut I am rather intrigued.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Basically I feel like a.... kid in a candy store. lol.

Either way I'll get to compete in San Shou. And also both styles are great, and so are the instructors. Both are so knowledgeable, nice, and are excellent in their style.

I envy your choices.

I have done a little Wing Chun but I never had the chance to try Choy Li Fut.

I can only say I liked the simplicity of Wing Chun. I do not mean it is simply but that it is uncomplicated in its approach. But form what I have read about Choy Li Fut I am rather intrigued.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll get to compete in San Shou.

This may not be the case now but I believe several years ago that there were a lot of Choy Li Fut guys winning Sanshou matches in South China. But that could very much have more to do with the fact that there were just more CLF guys entering Sanshou matches than Wing Chun guys entering sanshou matches.

Let us know what you choose

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I talked to both instructors, and both said that they will also train me for San Shou if I want. They both love full contact.

I definatly will keep you updated, it's such a hard choice.

This may not be the case now but I believe several years ago that there were a lot of Choy Li Fut guys winning Sanshou matches in South China. But that could very much have more to do with the fact that there were just more CLF guys entering Sanshou matches than Wing Chun guys entering sanshou matches.

Let us know what you choose

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically the decision between these two styles comes down to what you are more comfortable with. This may be an aspect of your body type which makes one preferable to the other, or it may have something to do with the way a style just "clicks" in your head and you find it easy to understand. Either way this choice is between a good art and a good art. Good luck.

lotusfist26

White Belt
Reaction score
hey leglock, by any chance is the school ng family martial arts. If so that is the school I attend where I take Choy lay fut. If you need info about the school just ask. Anyway Choy lay fut is used in close and distance. To get in close we can use for example Gwa which is a downward backfist while stepping forward or step to the side with a variation of Pow which is a powerful uppercut but can be used inside to the stomach. I can't give a whole lot of info because I'm a student myself but I believe Choy lay fut is a very complete system. I really can't say anything about wing chun. Never have done it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've seen so far (and I am new to both arts) Choy Lay Fut is a distance art, that like to stay at a distance to deliever the overwhelming techniques and strikes.

As I said, if you haven't seen it or been shown it, that's one thing. But CLF is a close range style. It's not a full time close range style like WC or Hakka fists, but it works plenty in close & personal.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen the reason why not both. Did I miss something or are you just limiting yourself to one for organization's sake?

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm really close to choosing which style I'm gonna do. Just one question. How much Chin Na is in CLF?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm really close to choosing which style I'm gonna do. Just one question. How much Chin Na is in CLF?

Not knowing CLF other than from what I have read and only knowing a little about WC from the little I practiced it, I am guessing CLF has more. But I do not believe Qinna is allowed in Sanshou matches and weren't you looking to fight in some Sanshou?

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not knowing CLF other than from what I have read and only knowing a little about WC from the little I practiced it, I am guessing CLF has more. But I do not believe Qinna is allowed in Sanshou matches and weren't you looking to fight in some Sanshou?

Yes that is true, I am looking to fight in Sanshou, but it is always good to know the self defense part of the art, and it got me wondering if Chin Na is in CLF.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've met a few Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun sifu and practitioners and sparred with a few of each then researched them both a bit, so take this for what it's worth (not much maybe :D).

Choy Lay Fut is a massive system with over a hundred forms taught and many of their forms have more movements than all of the solo Wing Chun kuen combined. This is because the masters of the systems created them with different goals in mind. Wing Chun is a good system but was made to be as streamlined as possible but still be advanced enough to handle trained fighters. Choy Lay Fut has something for everyone, the classic Chinese system. The question is what is your personality type, and what do you wish to learn?

Choy Lay Fut has a tremendous amount of chin na and shiao chiao, weapons (some of the strangest pole weapons you may come across) and just about anything else. Most students learn the core forms of the sifu and specialize in something they wish to learn due to the vastness of the art. While known for looping punches, advanced practitioners learn a variety of methods to fight depending upon their personalities and physical attributes and abilities. They have numerous types of wooden dummies as well. One of the best martial practitioners I've ever seen was a woman, Janet Gee, and her primary art for decades has been Choy Lay Fut.

Wing Chun was made to teach practitioners as efficiently as possible using proven methods from southern systems. It contains very advanced ideas, too, but ones that relate directly to the "wing chun" idea of what combat should be about. The weapons are two, butterfly knives and the dragon pole. Excellent fighters, but you will know exactly what you are up against if they wish to make the system work in a fight (blistering speed, high sensitivity, no wasted motion, constant attacks taking over the centerline, etc.)