Cho Gar Wing Chun - 7 day Workshop

Chas Fisher

White Belt
Reaction score
Rare Opportunity!

September 19-25 2009
Seattle WA

GM Cheong Wai Bo, the presiding custodian of Cho Gar Ban Chung Wing Chun Kuen will be conducting a seven day short course focusing in the Sui Da (Breaking Strikes) and Liu Dian Ban Gun Shr San Quaing (6 ½ pole, 13 Spear) forms. Both of these are rare Wing Chun forms done only in Cho Gar Red Boat WCK.

Cheung Wai Boe is the nephew of famous Malaysian Kung Fu master Cheung Hing. Cheung Wai Boe lived in Penang his whole life and began learning Kung Fu from his uncle. Later his uncle recommended him to Saam Chan, who was living in Ipoh, and agreed to teach a few select students the Wing Chun Kuen system.
Cheung Wai Boe learned from Saam Chan for 6 years. In 1972 he moved back to Penang, at age 27 and began passing on the Wing Chun Kuen system, under the name “Ban Chung Wing Chun Kuen”
Cheung still lives in Penang, and is the last living known student of Saam Chan and the oldest living ranked Cho Gar practioner. He is also one of the few remaining fourth generation Wing Chun masters, who also includes Fung Chun of Kulo Village. He is retired from active teaching and runs a temple in West Penang.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity to learn directly from an old-hand master in Cho Gar Wing Chun.

Please contact Chas Fisher for pricing and more details.

Thanks!
Chas Fisher

Last edited by a moderator:

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From Eric Ling:

[FONT=&quot]Cho Gar Hay Bun Wing Chun – for those not in the know, this line of WCK traced beginning back to the “red boat” era of China.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Itinerant opera troops’ mode of transportation, many accounts speak of revolutionary forces concealed within them training and plotting to overthrow the Manchurian conqueror; I am sure you have seen enough Hong Kong movies with this era as theme….[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Por Suk’s line acknowledges Jhee Sim as the father of their lineage; I know this is a controversial topic but I am more than satisfied just focusing on the art rather than who said what.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And looking at the art yields more and in Por Suk’s case, shallow viewing is definitely not enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Coincidently, Sifu Ku gave me a book entitled “Cantonese Opera Southern Kung Fu” that illustrates profound resemblances to some of Por Suk’s techniques that left me with little qualms about the “opera” roots of Hay Bun.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Including a hand-written intro by Por Suk himself here, you’ll see that his forms are, in a major way, unlike what you would expect in WCK.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the forms:-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]San Meng Arrow Palms.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Smashing Strikes.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]8 Immortals.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Siu Nim Tao[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]6 ½ pole 13 Spears.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Yan Chee Elbow knives.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 Stars Wooden Dummies.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sandbag drill.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Chi Sao.[/FONT]

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious:

Can you give any more info on the Cho Gar Hay Bun?

Thanks,