China's Terracotta Tomb

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
reuters120.gif

China's terracotta tomb site hides mystery building

Sun Jul 1, 1:44 AM ET

The tomb of China's first emperor, guarded for more than 2,000 years by 8,000 terracotta warriors and horses, has yielded up another archaeological secret.

Full Story: http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSPEK33093120070701

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks

And inside there may be rivers of mercury, which after 2000 years could have made the interior air rather unhealthy to breath and then of course there is the possibility of booby traps like Qin Cross bows all which make an actual archeological investigation of the interior a bit dangerous, and don't forget the curse.

A little back ground on The first Emporer of China

Qín Shi Huáng Dì

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin_Shi_Huang

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/history/qin/

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks

And inside there may be rivers of mercury, which after 2000 years could have made the interior air rather unhealthy to breath and then of course there is the possibility of booby traps like Qin Cross bows all which make an actual archeological investigation of the interior a bit dangerous, and don't forget the curse.

A little back ground on The first Emporer of China

Qín Shi Huáng Dì

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin_Shi_Huang

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/history/qin/

I'd like to think you are right that it might be the fabled tomb of Shi Haung Di. Afterall, people have been searching for it for centuries. It would be very cool if the map of the empire that is supposed to accompany him is actually there, but this might be an ancillary building. The burial site is so big you just never know.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just awesome. I've actually seen the Terracotta Warriors. It's pretty mind boggling. And now there's more?

As in interesting side note, the farmer who discovered them was paid the equivalent of about $50 by the government for his discovery. On the plus side, he now sits in the gift shop signing copies of the book. I happen to have one sitting on my living room coffee table.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait a second... isn't this the plot line of that new Mummy 3 movie due out in 2008? :D

I missed the Terra Cotta warriors when they were on tour. Would've loved to have seen them. I'm sure they'll find what they're looking for without Indiana Jones style booby traps. Even if there are, I'm pretty sure the archaeologists will be careful.

It'll be an awesome read to be sure when the final story comes out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd like to think you are right that it might be the fabled tomb of Shi Haung Di. Afterall, people have been searching for it for centuries. It would be very cool if the map of the empire that is supposed to accompany him is actually there, but this might be an ancillary building. The burial site is so big you just never know.

They are actually pretty sure it is the tomb of the Qin Emperor, they are not so sure about the map of China with Rivers of mercury with stars and planets made of gems embedded in the ceiling but that is at least what history says is there.

Also the Qin booby traps and the curse and I am trying to find the exact curse to post. It is actually part of the problem for excavation, not that the Chinese government is superstitious or anything like that ;).

Also as a side note my wife has been there and seen the excavated sections, which is not the tomb

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I missed the Terra Cotta warriors when they were on tour. Would've loved to have seen them. I'm sure they'll find what they're looking for without Indiana Jones style booby traps. Even if there are, I'm pretty sure the archaeologists will be careful.

There has been some suggestion that the Chinese government did not intend to excavate the tomb when they found it. Now that they probably have I think that they will re-evaluate the situation.

They are actually pretty sure it is the tomb of the Qin Emperor, they are not so sure about the map of China with Rivers of mercury with stars and planets made of gems embedded in the ceiling but that is at least what history says is there.

Also the Qin booby traps and the curse and I am trying to find the exact curse to post. It is actually part of the problem for excavation, not that the Chinese government is superstitious or anything like that ;).

Also as a side note my wife has been there and seen the excavated sections, which is not the tomb

The government must have mixed feelings about this project. On the one hand it is the tomb of the person who first unified China, a very important person in Chinese history. And on the other hand the Shi Huang Di represents a system of government which is, theoretically, at odds with the current one, and lasted for thousands of years, in one form or another. It must be producing some mixed feelings.

However, in the end, money will win out. The terracotta warriors and the First Emperor's tomb! What a tourist attraction.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait a second... isn't this the plot line of that new Mummy 3 movie due out in 2008? :D

How do you take 3,000 soldiers made of pottery on tour?!??

Latest Discussions