China May Ban Eating Dogs and Cats

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guangzhou, China (CNN) -- Dogs bark and whine behind high chain-link fences, some of them gnawing the wire so hard they bleed at the mouths while cats packed into crowded cages cower in fear if anyone approaches.
This isn't a pet store -- it's a meat market in Guangzhou, a city in southern China where eating cats and dogs is common practice.
Professor Chang Jiwen of the Chinese Academy of the Social Sciences is one of the law's top campaigners. "Cats and dogs are loyal friends to humans," he said. "A ban on eating them would show China has reached a new level of civilization."
The legislation is gaining support from China's growing number of pet owners. With living standards rising and disposable income growing, more Guangzhou residents are investing in house pets.
"I would never eat dog meat," said Louisa Yong, as she clutches her pet cocker spaniel. "It's so cruel!"
Article.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just as a note this is a Southern Chinese thing and not so much. if at all, a Northern Chinese thing

As Woman I once knew who was from Guangzhou (South China) told me "In the south we eat anything with legs except tables and chairs"

As my wife, who is from the North once told me "Southerners eat weird food"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That huge collective sigh you just heard was from the southern portion of China by dogs and cats hiding out everywhere they can.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If there is a food shortage, Rover is back on the menue; and, why not? Just because America believes in wasting all the animals it euthenizes everyday, doesn't mean China should.
sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meat's meat, and a man's gotta eat. I'd never eat a dog myself, as long as I have options. Besides, like Jules says, a dog's got personality. But in an emergency, sure. Hell, in an emergency I wouldn't recommend any of you stand too close either, if you know what I mean. ;)

As far as a ban goes, I don't know if that would change anything without cultivating a sense of "ick" at the concept. If the sentiments of Ms. Yong catch on, they would have to stop selling it because there would be no supply.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Meat's meat, and a man's gotta eat. I'd never eat a dog myself, as long as I have options. Besides, like Jules says, a dog's got personality. But in an emergency, sure. Hell, in an emergency I wouldn't recommend any of you stand too close either, if you know what I mean. ;)

As far as a ban goes, I don't know if that would change anything without cultivating a sense of "ick" at the concept. If the sentiments of Ms. Yong catch on, they would have to stop selling it because there would be no supply.
100 points for the "Motel Hell" reference!
Sean

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang.... just when I said to myself... Self, I wanna eat a dog and cat tonight instead of chicken.
icon6.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang.... just when I said to myself... Self, I wanna eat a dog and cat tonight instead of chicken.
icon6.gif
I have a friend from a United States territory; he once killed and bar-b-qued the family dog. His parents were pleased with the meal, but then asked where the dog was. Needless to say he was grounded to the basement for six months. His father was a teacher; so, going to school was not an option.
sean

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a friend from a United States territory; he once killed and bar-b-qued the family dog. His parents were pleased with the meal, but then asked where the dog was. Needless to say he was grounded to the basement for six months. His father was a teacher; so, going to school was not an option.
sean

sounds like he had issues... the neighbors dog, maybe, but your own!

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We had it in the north, near Da Tong.

Guests: "What kind of meat is that?"
Hosts: "It's local."

It was like marbled sliced turkey. Kind of dry.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We had it in the north, near Da Tong.

Guests: "What kind of meat is that?"
Hosts: "It's local."

It was like marbled sliced turkey. Kind of dry.

Shanxi Province, coutryside or city?

If city I'm surprised, if countryside all bets are off. They served a friend of mine in a village delicacy in the North, in the countryside, that my wife also thought was incredibly weird... I forget what they called it but he described it as... plate of whole roasted mountain rat.

But even in the cities, since the rules have lightened up, people are coming form other areas and bringing their foods with them. But go to the Beijing night market and you will find foods that are... well.... nothing I wuold even think about eating and that has been there for a VERY long time.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I blame the potential ban on the internet. ;) That's only half tongue in cheek. The world's getting smaller and the biases of the rest of the world are moving in, it seems. I don't have a problem eating a dog or a cat and I have both as pets. The difference is I wouldn't eat the family pet. There's a relationship there. Protein is a vital part of the diet and needs to be gotten where you can get it. IIRC, most of the dogs eaten in China are a specifically bred animal just for consumption and not the neighbors pet.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I blame the potential ban on the internet. ;) That's only half tongue in cheek. The world's getting smaller and the biases of the rest of the world are moving in, it seems. I don't have a problem eating a dog or a cat and I have both as pets. The difference is I wouldn't eat the family pet. There's a relationship there. Protein is a vital part of the diet and needs to be gotten where you can get it. IIRC, most of the dogs eaten in China are a specifically bred animal just for consumption and not the neighbors pet.
It wasn't that long ago that Farmers in the United States would not even bother to name the barn cats. Its my susicion that that is why everyone calls cats, "kitty,kitty". Its imbeded in our culture. I grew up around chickens, pigs, and cows, that we all named and later ate. My Grandfather loved those animals more than any of us but he was the one who prepared the pets for their new role. He just came from different times. So, I don't help my Islander friends eat raw turkey, nor do I partake in whatever they offer me; unless, It at least looks like Chicken.
Sean

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Darned Internet!

I've kept my dogs Coal and Holmes in line by threatening them with a Chinese vacation when they misbehave...... whoa is me, now what'll I ever do?

Guess travelers had better be wary of ordering a "hot dog" in China...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Darned Internet!

I've kept my dogs Coal and Holmes in line by threatening them with a Chinese vacation when they misbehave...... whoa is me, now what'll I ever do?

Guess travelers had better be wary of ordering a "hot dog" in China...
You keep talking like it doesn't happen in the U.S. every single day. I won't burst that bubble.
Sean

Latest Discussions