Children & pad work leading to injuries

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question,

I have been reading several articles related to Children and growth development where it is seriously frowned upon to have children doing pad work etc as this damages their growth plates in finger joints and other joints around the body.

What do other people do and feel about this subject.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since MA is very helpful to children learn coordination, balance, self confidence and disicpline (among other things) they shouldn't be discouraged from learning a skill which will help them in many areas of their adult lives. But as you stated they are at higher risk of injuries because of their muscles and bone development is still an on-going process.

You stated you've read articles on the topic. Are these on line or magazine articles? Could you please cite your sources so that the parents on this forum may benefit and thus be in a better position to respond to your query.

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could rememebr where I read aout this I do know that it was in one of the UK MArtial Arts Magazines, either MArtial Arts Illustrated or Combat. It was a while ago but I did find it very interesting reading.

I agree I do not wish to discourage children from MA in fact quite the opposite but I do feel as do the majority of instructors that we are placed with the responsibility of caring for our students.

Thanks for your input

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would also be interested in the articles.

I have had 2 kids that had knees that hurt. It was not the Kenpo, but a developmental thing that is pretty common. When the body gets a growth spurt and the bones in the knee have not kept up, there is a pretty good aching that last until the knee catches up. Activity exacerbates the pain. I was really worried I had a couple of injured kids. It did not occur at the same time, so it was starting to look like a pattern.

I do lots of pad work with them (kids like to hit things) as well as crab-walking, bear crawling, running lines, wheel-barrow racing, and frog hopping. Geez, it sounds like a kindergarden.

-MB

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Michael Billings
I do lots of pad work with them (kids like to hit things) as well as crab-walking, bear crawling, running lines, wheel-barrow racing, and frog hopping. Geez, it sounds like a kindergarden.

But it is very good for them! And if they like it...why not do it? :D I love teaching kids! :D:D:D:D

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
But it is very good for them! And if they like it...why not do it? :D I love teaching kids! :D:D:D:D

But kids like eating sweets and chocolates, chips and fries also. You know what I'm getting at here.

I'm not saying don't do pad work but ensure that you use pads which are softer than those used by adults. I don't want to be the cause of any of these young adults getting premature arthritis etc.

I love teaching kids also and as all instructors when the students are in my charge I look after their health etc.

I'll see if I can dig the article out unless I've thrown it away in my recent house clearance.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing bag work is something that everybody can and will benefit from. Standing in a fixed stance, throwing punches and kicks in the air will not help you achieve anything. Its boring as hell, and you are not getting the feel as to what its like to hit something.

I see nothing wrong with having people do kicks and punches on the pads. Not only will they be getting the feel of making contact, but they will also find out if they are doing the punches/kicks incorrctly. In the air, its easy to forget about proper form, but if you hit that target wrong, you'll definately know about it.

Mike

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mike I think your missing the point here, I am not against pad work but what I do feel is that we must be aware of the potential damage that can be done by incorrect punches/kicks on pads which are not correct for the kids.

I agree that getting the feel of hitting something is better than hitting into thin air. However how would you feel if an 18 year old came to you with medical evidence that the training regime you had put them through from say the age of 6 had caused them health problems, it's a tricky one especially in this day and age of blame culture and law suits.

Amrik

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposikh
Mike I think your missing the point here, I am not against pad work but what I do feel is that we must be aware of the potential damage that can be done by incorrect punches/kicks on pads which are not correct for the kids.

OK, how old are the kids in question? Are they 4 or 13? Yeah, it will be hard to have a 4yo do a 'proper' front kick, due to them being so young and probably not understanding what you are saying. If the kid is 12yo, then I would hope that by then, the Inst. would be teaching the proper way to punch/kick!

I agree that getting the feel of hitting something is better than hitting into thin air. However how would you feel if an 18 year old came to you with medical evidence that the training regime you had put them through from say the age of 6 had caused them health problems, it's a tricky one especially in this day and age of blame culture and law suits.

Yup. But there are a few things to remember.

1- It should be told up front to the parents/students, that there WILL be contact. Alot of people have no idea about the arts, and god forbid the parents of little Johnny see some contact, they're gonna freak! If they cant handle the contact, then the MA's are not for them. Period! Maybe they should take up sewing then. Less contact in that!

2- Most schools have a waiver that must be signed. This waiver states or should state that there will be contact, but the classes will be supervised by a qualified Inst. It should cover them from the basic injuries. Now, if the Inst. has the students doing something that is going to put the student in serious harm, then yeah, I'd say thats grounds for a law suit.

3- If what you say is true, about the injuries, then why do parents sign their kids up for football and baseball? You're not going to tell me that kids dont get hurt in those sports. If the pros can get carried off the field on a stretcher, then a kid can too.

Mike

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very good points there. I'm glad my thread is bringing up some very constructive points.

Latest Discussions