Checking out a few TKD schools in Arizona

erich63

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into MA, and since I can't find any kenpo that isn't an hour drive from me, I've decided to look into some TKD schools. They are plenty with quite a few close by. Plus, I love to kick!

Bottom line is I am looking for top notch instruction though. Any thoughts or opinions on these schools listed below:

1) Brothers Tae Kwon Do

http://www.brotherstkd.com/

2) Sun Duk Choi Tae Kwon Do

http://www.aztaekwondo.com/

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea about the quality of instruction at either school. Looks like the first is run by a KKW 9th dan, and the second by someone who may have toured with General Choi at one point, even if he is not currently affiliated with any of the ITF groups.

The form videos posted on the second website make my eyes bleed however. I can cut the elder performers some slack, but the Chon-Ji and other beginning forms are rather mediocre, even when you allot allowance for 'learning speed'. <shrugs> Just a somewhat irrelevant rant of mine.

I would suggest you ask for a free trial at both schools and judge for yourself. Since it sounds like you might have access to legitimate high-ranking dan holders and since you're likely not intent on a particular sub-style of TKD, I'm inclined to think you might be able to obtain good instruction from either place, particularly if private lessons can be obtained from the head instructors/owners themselves.

OP
E

erich63

White Belt
Reaction score
@dancingalone

Thanks for reply. What did you notice about the forms from Sun Duk Choi's school that would be of concern? Coming from a kenpo background I can not tell what to look for.

I would assume that since this fellow is 9th Dan, his practitioners would reflect a certain excellence, no?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Sun Duk Choi died earlier this year (TKDTimes & others have reported). I have no idea what that means for his school.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dancingalone

Thanks for reply. What did you notice about the forms from Sun Duk Choi's school that would be of concern? Coming from a kenpo background I can not tell what to look for.

I would assume that since this fellow is 9th Dan, his practitioners would reflect a certain excellence, no?

This is regarding the youngish fellow performing the beginner level forms and it's based entirely on what I value myself: I've never seen such a short front stance used with the Chang Hon forms. He almost looks like he is performing the KKW walking stance instead. He picks up his feet too instead of sliding them. Not a lot of snap either or what karate people call 'kime' or focus.

But enough dogging on the guy. I can respect the fact that he has put himself out there for everyone to criticize. And the way he performs the patterns might be exactly what his teacher wanted - no way to know.

OP
E

erich63

White Belt
Reaction score
GM Sun Duk Choi died earlier this year (TKDTimes & others have reported). I have no idea what that means for his school.

Wow, I did not read anything about that on the web site. Thanks for the heads up though, I'm sure he had a successor lined up.

OP
E

erich63

White Belt
Reaction score
This is regarding the youngish fellow performing the beginner level forms and it's based entirely on what I value myself: I've never seen such a short front stance used with the Chang Hon forms. He almost looks like he is performing the KKW walking stance instead. He picks up his feet too instead of sliding them. Not a lot of snap either or what karate people call 'kime' or focus.

But enough dogging on the guy. I can respect the fact that he has put himself out there for everyone to criticize. And the way he performs the patterns might be exactly what his teacher wanted - no way to know.

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I guess as you suggested I will have to visit the schools myself to get a feel and possibly take a free lesson.

I would definitely describe myself as more of a hardcore martial artist, so this process might take awhile. I've also been doing more research on TKD and there appears to be 2 dominant factions, one being the WTF and the other the ITF. Also read that there is quite a bit of politics that occurs in KMA's.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is WTF, ITF, a ton of other orgs that are both good and bad, and then a lot of us that are independent of any org. You can find top notch instruction or bad instruction at any of those. The only downside of the indy schools is that your BB is considered a 'house belt' and some other TKD schools may choose to not honor your rank if you seek training elsewhere. Personally, I'll put my 1st dans up against any of the local WTF/ITF/ATA 1st dans as far as technique and knowledge. So if you don't care about a piece of paper, make sure you check out the indy schools too.

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea about the quality of instruction at either school. Looks like the first is run by a KKW 9th dan, and the second by someone who may have toured with General Choi at one point, even if he is not currently affiliated with any of the ITF groups.

The form videos posted on the second website make my eyes bleed however. I can cut the elder performers some slack, but the Chon-Ji and other beginning forms are rather mediocre, even when you allot allowance for 'learning speed'. <shrugs> Just a somewhat irrelevant rant of mine.

I would suggest you ask for a free trial at both schools and judge for yourself. Since it sounds like you might have access to legitimate high-ranking dan holders and since you're likely not intent on a particular sub-style of TKD, I'm inclined to think you might be able to obtain good instruction from either place, particularly if private lessons can be obtained from the head instructors/owners themselves.

WOW, THOSE FORMS MADE MY EYES BLEED AS WELL, JEEZ! Teaching speed or not...the stances were horrible, and all the bouncing made me silly! Chon-Ji was horrible.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into MA, and since I can't find any kenpo that isn't an hour drive from me, I've decided to look into some TKD schools. They are plenty with quite a few close by. Plus, I love to kick!

Bottom line is I am looking for top notch instruction though. Any thoughts or opinions on these schools listed below:

1) Brothers Tae Kwon Do

http://www.brotherstkd.com/

2) Sun Duk Choi Tae Kwon Do

http://www.aztaekwondo.com/

If you are still interested in a Kenpo School check out this one. They have quite a few in the Arizona area http://www.limkenpo.net/SCHOOLS.html

Latest Discussions