Century Heavyweight uniforms

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guys,

I bought one of the Centruy heavy weight uniforms (traditional style Gi). That must be the heaviest weight stuff I've ever seen. When washed it's like cardboard.

Do any of you know how to make the uniform softer (faberic softener doesn't do so well.)

Thanks,

Deaf

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Wear it - while sweating profusely. This will loosen up the weave (usually) - but be careful; chafing can occur. :uhyeah:

2) Iron it on a high temperature with lots of water. This can also loosen up the weave. Make sure the iron isn't so hot it scorches the fabric (another reason to use lots of water)

3) I've never tried this - but I have friends who swear by vinegar as a fabric softener (use the same way you would use any other fabric softener). It will smell like vinegar when you take it out - but it dissipates quickly (they say) - remember, I've never tried this.

4) Put it in the dryer with a shoe - this will help beat some of the stiffness out of it. Just make sure it's a clean shoe that can take the heat - sneakers work well - so do tennis balls. It makes a horrendous noise, so be prepared - but it can make a lot of difference.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Vinegar also helps keep it shiny, very shiny. I use it for that. Just put a cap full in the wash with it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The heavy weight ones seem to take forever to "break in". Multiple washings are needed but sweating dose seem to make them some what less like cardboard
I also have tried vinegar and it dose seem to work some

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that they take so long to break in is why I love 'em. The longer they take to break in the longer they seem to last and the older they get the better they look, at least to me. I love a good, old, heavy weight gi that has started to fray just a little around the collar. I've never used the vinegar but then I suppose the acid in my sweat does the same as the acid in the vinegar and, man, do I sweat a lot nowadays.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have one heavy one that is over 25 years old (at least I still have the top of it) and one light weight one thatis about 15 years old.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, so to recap...

1) Wear it!
2) Iron it (lots of water.)
3) Vinegar in the wash (cap full.)
4) Put it in the dryer with a tennis balls (and wear ear plugs.)

Ok, I'll first wash it with Vinegar, and dry it with tennis balls (white ones.) I might do that at a laundry mat cause my wife will kill me otherwise (plenty of glocks around the house for her to select from.)

Then start wearing it as much as I can in classes.

Thanks guys!

Deaf

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that they take so long to break in is why I love 'em. The longer they take to break in the longer they seem to last and the older they get the better they look, at least to me. I love a good, old, heavy weight gi that has started to fray just a little around the collar. I've never used the vinegar but then I suppose the acid in my sweat does the same as the acid in the vinegar and, man, do I sweat a lot nowadays.

Yes just wear them and with regular washing and wear they break in eventually.
icon6.gif

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread got me looking for some of my old uniforms. I found one that is a heavy weight version that I know is at least 10 years old and it felt like it had been washed with startch. I have had it put up for a few years in storage for some dumb reason.
Ok Laundry tomorrow after going to the mall

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd never, ever put a gi in the dryer. Just hang it up to air dry. I have an old Tokaido heavyweight that is about 25 years old and never saw the inside of a dryer. It feels very nice still, though nysteriously tighter in a few places....

Fabric softener is a no-no too, it eventually destroys the fibers.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the price of a Tokaido I'd take the damn thing to be dry cleaned. Beautiful gis but very expensive.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I bought one of the Centruy heavy weight uniforms (traditional style Gi). That must be the heaviest weight stuff I've ever seen. When washed it's like cardboard.

Do any of you know how to make the uniform softer (faberic softener doesn't do so well.)

Thanks,

Deaf

With time, the combination of wearing it and washing it will help soften it up. Once it comes out of the washer, I put it in the dryer for 5-10min, take it out and let it air dry the rest of the way.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If all else fails, run it over with your car :D

Of course don't tell your wife this as she may wait til your wearing your gi :p

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For the price of a Tokaido I'd take the damn thing to be dry cleaned. Beautiful gis but very expensive.

Expensive, but worth it, and I think Shureido even more so.
BTW both companies recommend against using a dryer.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I would think that because it is a heavyweight might be maknig you sweat more than necessary. I personally never understood the reason for wearing a heavy gi liek that. I found it hampers movement, and fluidity. I wore one for a while while studying Kempo, but switched to a light Cotton one , and it made a big difference. I prefer my Silk Kung FU uniform in the style I study now , any day over a heavy cardboard GI :) Not hating , just stating my preference.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think that because it is a heavyweight might be maknig you sweat more than necessary. I personally never understood the reason for wearing a heavy gi liek that. I found it hampers movement, and fluidity. I wore one for a while while studying Kempo, but switched to a light Cotton one , and it made a big difference. I prefer my Silk Kung FU uniform in the style I study now , any day over a heavy cardboard GI :) Not hating , just stating my preference.

Hey no problem. Just with the type of training that I do a silk one or even a light weight one will just not last more than a month. The Heavy Weight Cotton Canvas uniforms last and last and last.
icon6.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I know a couple of my students that have the same problem.
icon9.gif
I do not understand why they do not go up two more sizes.

True..Not everyone is built like Bruce Lee...There are a few of us that could pass for Sammo Hungs stunt double..

Last edited: