Cardio Boxing/Kickboxing to hone striking?

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With so many of these places popping up in my area, I had to wonder... can cardio boxing/kickboxing, when taken simultaneously with another art, help to refine striking (as in technique, power, and speed)?

Naturally I am wary of these new places (a few are chains, such as Title Boxing) and I don't have a clue if they teach correct striking technique. What are your thoughts? Would one be better off just buying a heavy bag?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a cardio-boxing/kickboxing class that teaches decent technique. That's not to say that there isn't one out there somewhere, but in general it doesn't seem to be the focus.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot of technical aspects to consider if you want to have more refined striking skills. The ideal is to have a good instructor help you. You can punch a heavy bag as much as you want but this alone won't give you better technique.

Tony is spot on about cardio-boxing. Their focus is merely to give you a good cardio exercise, not really to teach you how to punch or fight.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot of technical aspects to consider if you want to have more refined striking skills. The ideal is to have a good instructor help you. You can punch a heavy bag as much as you want but this alone won't give you better technique.

Tony is spot on about cardio-boxing. Their focus is merely to give you a good cardio exercise, not really to teach you how to punch or fight.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Good points guys. Would you think that a "normal" boxing/kickboxing place would be close to ideal?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you already know how to box it is not such an issue. Getting good at striking does involve a large volume bag work. Which you could do at a boxersise class.

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you already know how to box it is not such an issue. Getting good at striking does involve a large volume bag work. Which you could do at a boxersise class.

I was thinking along these lines when I posted. However, I don't want to limit myself to what I know. I want to continue to progress.

Anyways, I would rather buy a bag than to a place that does not teach/correct technique.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With so many of these places popping up in my area, I had to wonder... can cardio boxing/kickboxing, when taken simultaneously with another art, help to refine striking (as in technique, power, and speed)?

Naturally I am wary of these new places (a few are chains, such as Title Boxing) and I don't have a clue if they teach correct striking technique. What are your thoughts? Would one be better off just buying a heavy bag?

To be honest, I really haven't seen anyone who offers a cardio kickboxing class, teaching quality striking. This isn't to say that those places don't exist, but I can only go on what I've seen. No technique, no instruction/correction, and God forbid these people actually hit harder than they are, they're going to seriously hurt themselves.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the cardio kickboxing classes I have sat in on are taught by certified personal trainers. But knowing how to work out and get strong does NOT make you know how to hit properly. That's what drives me nuts about the martial arts workouts in the P90X series: while Tony Horton certainly does know how to be fit (look at his physique and think of the fact that he is 55), he is no kenpo instructor. They ought to include a video that shows you how to properly punch and kick.

But I digress. The point is, I agree with the other responders. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good points guys. Would you think that a "normal" boxing/kickboxing place would be close to ideal?

It may depend on what the other art you are taking simultaneously is. For example, boxing makes an excellent complement to judo or BJJ. On the other hand, if you are studying Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, the principles, tactics, and techniques for punching are completely different from those of boxing and simultaneous study may impede your progress in both.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I really haven't seen anyone who offers a cardio kickboxing class, teaching quality striking. This isn't to say that those places don't exist, but I can only go on what I've seen. No technique, no instruction/correction, and God forbid these people actually hit harder than they are, they're going to seriously hurt themselves.

I'm pretty much with MJS. Honestly... for a real cardiokickboxing, it's hard to really add any technique training in the format, since the key is on being active. I know a few programs that do an in-house sort of cardiokickboxing -- but it's a fitness portion, with the technique stuff being done in "regular" classes.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the cardio kickboxing classes I have sat in on are taught by certified personal trainers. But knowing how to work out and get strong does NOT make you know how to hit properly. That's what drives me nuts about the martial arts workouts in the P90X series: while Tony Horton certainly does know how to be fit (look at his physique and think of the fact that he is 55), he is no kenpo instructor. They ought to include a video that shows you how to properly punch and kick.

But I digress. The point is, I agree with the other responders. :)

One of our instructors is involved in an organization that teaches correct kicking technique to personal trainers, I think mainly so that they are good for fitness and preventing injury to clients rather than to be effective for self defence.

http://www.activered.com.au/news_and_events/active_kicks_workshop

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

i gotta agree with tony on this. boxing, even tho it is a punch-focused method, does not represent some abstract and objective pinnacle of punching technique. it simply represents one method that can work well within its own context.

if i feel my punching technique needs improvement, then i work within the methodology of the system that i study and train. that way i know that my training remains consistent with the principles upon which my system is built.