Captain America

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is discussion in the conservative circles about aspects of the new Captain America movie. There are some problems with the muting of the costume, although some say it is closer to the original, early costume and then the changing of the films name from Captain America to The First Avenger for overseas audiences.
One comment that was an interesting take was for you Anime fans. Would you, as American, or British or Canadian, Anime fans be bothered if they "Americanized" your favorite Anime characters to appeal to a western audience? Thoughts?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Most of the current Marvel films are utilizing some elements of the "Ultimates" universe, the movie Captain America appears to be an almost direct lift from the Ultimates WWII scenes with Cap. And if it isn't really obvious already, bright costumes with lots of bright primary colors don't really look as good on the big screen as they do in a comic book.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From what I read, he is actually put in a spandex uniform more like the "traditional" Capt America costume and it's played off as humiliating in the movie. Sort of a USO style stunt, rather than what he would wear when he's getting the job done.

Regarding Americanizing famous Anime stories... I thought that was what Disney Studios is for. ;) But seriously, while the Lion King is a direct retelling of a famous anime, isn't it common to recut and redub anime cartoons so that the story lines are more "american?" I'm not a big fan of anime, so correct me if I'm mistaken.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you, as American, or British or Canadian, Anime fans be bothered if they "Americanized" your favorite Anime characters to appeal to a western audience? Thoughts?

I'm no anime fan, ok maybe a little, some ones are cool - but my friend is, and she said she hated it when america americanized the Japanese animes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm no anime fan, ok maybe a little, some ones are cool - but my friend is, and she said she hated it when america americanized the Japanese animes.

LOL, Anime is the Japanese adaptation of such American icons as Disney animation.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember speed racer, battletech and the battle of the planets where the people were dressed as different birds. I had been told that much of the action had been edited out, too much blood or something.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the walt disney company influenced it, but its originating in Japan.

It's what happens when a Japanese guy realizes the power of the drawn image and the ingrained formula that makes us like stuff (big heads, small faces and huge eyes, it's an instinct we can't help) So yes, Disney is the Godfather of Anime...

I have to remember where I read it. It was quiet interesting, as little as the blurb was.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always wondered about he eyes and the artistic reason for characters looking more western than eastern.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Movie titles change all the time for different markets, that is not my problem. My problem is that he is not the First Avenger, if bwe are going off of who came first then that would be Thor, or in story where it would be Iron Man since Cap didn't officially join till Avengers #7.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Movie titles change all the time for different markets, that is not my problem. My problem is that he is not the First Avenger, if bwe are going off of who came first then that would be Thor, or in story where it would be Iron Man since Cap didn't officially join till Avengers #7.

I think if you consider who is the oldest member of the Avengers in terms of publication history then Captain America would be the first, and I think the first hero in terms of the Marvel timeline.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but the god Thor was in "existence" wahy before Steve's birth. Then the fact that in universe he was not even in the original roster he is far from first. I love Cap most of all from Marvel, but in terms of a name for a movie I'm going to nitpick.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but the god Thor was in "existence" wahy before Steve's birth. Then the fact that in universe he was not even in the original roster he is far from first. I love Cap most of all from Marvel, but in terms of a name for a movie I'm going to nitpick.

I agree, I could see the title if the Cap. America was the first of the planned Avengers movies. But, that's not even the case, you've already had Iron Man, Hulk and before Cap is out Thor.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always wondered about he eyes and the artistic reason for characters looking more western than eastern.

Those are the visual keys to make us recognise infants. We can't help but be drawn to it.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those are the visual keys to make us recognise infants. We can't help but be drawn to it.

I was told that the eyes reflect how emotional the character is. So females are going to have larger eyes than males and boys have larger eyes than men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga

It says that the first anime artist copied the Disney style and his approach caught on and was emmulated by others.

Anyone see the new caps for the Thundercats? they are alot more anime looking now.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was told that the eyes reflect how emotional the character is. So females are going to have larger eyes than males and boys have larger eyes than men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga

It says that the first anime artist copied the Disney style and his approach caught on and was emmulated by others.

Anyone see the new caps for the Thundercats? they are alot more anime looking now.

Yes, manga/anime has it's own set of rules, you can see what type of character you are looking at by the eyes.

However I was referring to the biological instinct that the cartoon/anime code is based on:
an infant usually has a large head with a small face and in this face the eyes are rather big. That's why some critters are cuter to us than others, like a Chihuahua compared to a German Shepherd...it's ingrained, instinct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness

However, Marvel is looking for a bit more adult instinct to draw the crowd: Narrow hips and broad shoulders, accompanied by broad chest and ample booty... ;)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, I could see the title if the Cap. America was the first of the planned Avengers movies. But, that's not even the case, you've already had Iron Man, Hulk and before Cap is out Thor.

You got it. Thor was technically first since he's the first to have "existed." But the Avengers was formed by Iron Man and run out of his Central Park West house (Avengers Mansion) quite a while before Cap was unfrozen.

If we go by the movie universe as you mentioned then again Iron Man comes first, then Hulk then Thor ... if they threw in Ant-Man and Wasp movies it would actually look like how the Avengers were really assembled ... see what I did there?

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
You got it. Thor was technically first since he's the first to have "existed." But the Avengers was formed by Iron Man and run out of his Central Park West house (Avengers Mansion) quite a while before Cap was unfrozen.

If we go by the movie universe as you mentioned then again Iron Man comes first, then Hulk then Thor ... if they threw in Ant-Man and Wasp movies it would actually look like how the Avengers were really assembled ... see what I did there?

Omar, any idea if it's all taking place in WW2 or will Cap be frozen and thawed?

Latest Discussions