Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs
Aug 25 01:32 PM US/Eastern
Breitbart/AFP EXCERPT:

After years spent hunting for the buried remains of prehistoric animals, a Canadian paleontologist now plans to manipulate chicken embryos to show he can create a dinosaur. Hans Larsson, the Canada Research Chair in Macro Evolution at Montreal's McGill University, said he aims to develop dinosaur traits that disappeared millions of years ago in birds.
Larsson believes by flipping certain genetic levers during a chicken embryo's development, he can reproduce the dinosaur anatomy, he told AFP in an interview.
Though still in its infancy, the research could eventually lead to hatching live prehistoric animals, but Larsson said there are no plans for that now, for ethical and practical reasons -- a dinosaur hatchery is "too large an enterprise."
"It's a demonstration of evolution," said Larsson, who has studied bird evolution for the last 10 years.
"If I can demonstrate clearly that the potential for dinosaur anatomical development exists in birds, then it again proves that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs."
The research is funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, the Canada Research Chairs program and National Geographic.
The idea for the project, Larsson said, came about during discussions with renowned American paleontologist Jack Horner, who served as technical advisor for the Jurassic Park films.
Horner recently wrote a book entitled "How to Build A Dinosaur," in which he refers to the embryo experiment as part of a quest to create a "chickenosaurus."

END EXCERPT
I think I saw this movie, and it didn't end well...

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I saw Jurassic Park too many times, but I'm thinking this is a BAD idea.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Dino-chickens? .......Dino-Cows....Dino-pigs...

The list could be endless......New turning into OLD stuffs?

Aloha,

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all for it! There was a scientist a while back who did much the same thing but he didn't let it get past an embryo. I do remember he had turned off the "feathers" and "beak" markers and he got a creature with a snout but it was too young to tell if there were scales or not.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, PETA is gonna be pissed...
But, when aren't they?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, PETA is gonna be pissed...
But, when aren't they?

Maybe, but with any luck they will go out to protect the poor little abused allosaurus and find out what "low on the food chain" means.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

Attachments

• $DINO-MITE.JPG
    $DINO-MITE.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 92

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno... Its cool science, but is manipulating its genes proof of Evolution or just that we can manipulate genes? Maybe if the Chicken does come out as a Raptor... but if it comes out like say, a featherless, beakless chicken with a snout and skin...

I mean, if you take say, two VERY VERY caucaison people, Combine the sperm and egg, but turn on the pigment of the skin and hair, and their baby comes out black with curly black hair, is that proof that we all started as black people along the Nile river valley? Or just that we can manipulate traits?

Personally... Id like to see this succeed, but then they need to be able to manipulate the genes in existing Humans, so I can get my ancestral fur and opposable thumbs on my feet. Ook Ook.

Call me the Librarian.

Latest Discussions