Calling on all you Southerners for food wisdom

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the next week, I'll be needing an authentic southern Peach Cobbler recipe to deal with my ripening peaches. Also any other southern recipes that go well with a barbecue, as it will be Memorial Day soon and there is no better way to celebrate than with authentic Southern food.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Girlbug

maybe I can help :-> from the _real_ Peach state.

How many people will you be serving?
Do you want a make-ahead peach dessert recipe (much easier for a big bbq) ? Degree of difficulty? (how much cooking do you do?) Cobbler (for me) means topping one of 3 ways: biscuit style (my aunts do it this way); cake-type; or pie crust top. Bottom crust on a large fruit dessert is high degree of difficulty (smile) so I usually do peaches with slightly sweet buttermilk biscuit tops in a large 9x13 pan.
Men have been known to swoon and propose.

Day ahead? Hands-down winner: Peach up-side down cake w/peach bourbon sauce, both done ahead, and get better overnight. Warm slightly before serving with sauce or whipped cream. have lots.

The 'Q is pig, right? Shoulders or fresh hams (butt portion) cooked low and slow, right. Nothing but mop sauce till pulling, then sauce on the side, several kinds (I'm bbq ecumenical as long as its pork), right? Cooked all night (for whole hog) or start at 6-7 am for multple shoulders, right? i Love beef bbq and chicken, goat or lamb too - but low and slow pork over wood/charcol is the grail of bbq.

If not, thats ok. I do a killer oven or slow cooker version - and coca-cola pork shoulder/fresh ham (marinate overnight, add spicy stuff, drain and de-grease drippings for sauce, shred-pull the pork, dress with sauce) will bring out people who eat it with their fingers and there's those matrimonial (or other) suggestions again. Sour orange sauce? Mustard-honey-spice?

Umm... side stuff? what is local and fresh there? How much time will you have? Who's helping - and can they cook?

Veggies
* corn pudding
* sweet onion and tomato pie (no sugar)
* macaroni and cheese (yes, it _is_ a veg here)
* roasted spicy sweet potato wedges
* sweet onion, squash and tomato tart
* deviled eggs
* limpin' susan
* hoppin' john
* sweet potato biscuits w/country ham and hot pepper jelly
* butter beans w/corn, tomato and bacon
* pole beans, ham hocks and new potatoes

salads
* southern style red potato salad
* 7 layer salad (no jello, not that there's anything wrong with jello)
* grilled okra salad w/tomato vinagrette (no slime)
* cucumber salad w/sour cream and dill

other desserts
* banana pudding (not instant)
* bread pudding w/whiskey-pecan sauce (or that peach sauce again)
* pound cake (w/peach sauce)
* peach ice cream w/peach sauce theme here?

uh - think i'm losing control here... must go make biscuits, tomato pie, peach ice tea,

Let me know what looks right and I'll post receipts or PM them to you - maybe other people? anyway. I brought pina colada cake to a dojo picnic saturday. none left.
A

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm really only going to contribute dessert and maybe one side dish, going to my mom's for the day and they will barbeque there. 6 adults total.

That biscuit top cobbler sounds like the ticket, seems like I've had something like that in the past. Could you post the recipe?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coleslaw. You can't have barbecue, especially pulled pork, without coleslaw.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me know what looks right and I'll post receipts or PM them to you - maybe other people?
A

:wavey: jumps up and down :wavey: me me me!! :wavey:

Love southern cooking!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the next week, I'll be needing an authentic southern Peach Cobbler recipe to deal with my ripening peaches. Also any other southern recipes that go well with a barbecue, as it will be Memorial Day soon and there is no better way to celebrate than with authentic Southern food.

For the peach cobbler, my mom (Tennessee) made PIE ... but she did make a cobbler a couple times.

Filling:
2-3 cups fresh peaches (pitted, peeled and sliced, of course)
1/2 cup sugar
about 1/8 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg (add a pinch more of cinnamon)
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1+1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
pat of butter

You'll want to mix that all up together and bake it in a buttered casserole dish at 400F for about 10 minutes - NO LONGER!

Cobbler crust:
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbls lard
a little HOT water (about 1/4 cup)

Mix the dry ingredients together (sifting works well) and add the lard. Use two knives or a pastry mixer to cut the lard into the dry ingredients until it resembles a course meal. Add just enough water for the pastry dough to hold together.

Remove the peaches from the oven and drop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the peaches. Beat an egg and brush over the crust and sprinkle some sugar mixed with cinnamon on top.

Bake that at 425F until crust is golden - about 25-35 minutes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now that's a *traditional* Southern recipe.

I alter it a bit - I do half cane sugar and half brown sugar, I use Grape Seed oil to oil the dish, and I use Smart Balance instead of lard, crisco or butter in the pastry crust. To make it even healthier, you could go with a whole grain or gluten-free flour for the pastry, substitute some Splenda for half the sugar and reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe by about three tablespoons in the filling.

But ya know ... Warm Peach Pie is what I wait for ALL ... YEAR ... LONG.