Call for Articles - Next issut of MT Magazine needs your words!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's almost that time again, and we're looking for more submissions.

Submissions for the next issue close October 15th, so get em in early!

Thank you! :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you ever tap some of the threads here for copy? Some have some pretty comprehensive content.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've pulled in some stuff in the past, but I prefer to run original complete articles whenever possible.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this time, I don't have enough submissions to publish in October.
I will postpone the next issue until November.

At that time, I'll evaluate wiether I wish to continue the magazine based on feedback and submissions.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I send out weekly "lectures" to members of my association - some of them might help you fill your need for short articles. Should I send some of them to you? To what address should I send them?

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Question on any specific content or ideas you want to see?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're open to pretty much anything at the moment. :)

AzQkr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bob,

I'd like to run some idea by you myself.
If you'll email me at arizonaqkr@yahoo.com with a contact number, I'd like to discuss this further with you.

Brownie

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are the old guidelines. Currently, I'd prefer if submissions get posted directly to the submissions forum.

=====
Submission Guidelines:

Submission Guidelines:

MartialTalk Magazine is always accepting quality submissions. If you have an intelligent article on something interesting you think we'd like to publish, send it to submissions@martialtalk.com.

MartialTalk Magazine may distribute content to other sites, including some major commercial online services. By submitting an article to us, you agree to let us use the article not only on MartialTalk Magazine, but any place content from MartialTalk Magazine is used. You, however, retain the copyright in your work and are free to reuse it in any way you want.

We are interested in seeing well-written features, how-to articles, book excerpts, "how I did it" stories, tips and hints, instructions, motivational articles and other articles that will help our audience gain knowledge that will help them succeed in their martial arts.

Among the broad subject areas we cover are history, camp reviews, instructor profiles, training, legends & fables, instructional, legal issues, school management, medical issues, herbs and herbal remedies, health and well-being, martial arts fundamentals, common courtesy and procedures, and using computer technology in the martial arts world.

We only accept submissions from the original author of the articles or a publicist hired by the copyright owner to submit material here. By submitting material, you acknowledge that you are legally entitled to distribute the work and to allow it to be redistributed. (If you are a book publisher or public relations firm with copy to distribute, please include a note to that effect at the top of the article you submit.) We do not pay for articles, and do not accept articles that are primarily advertisements. However, you may place a brief resource box and contact information (but no ads) at the end of your article. We cannot guarantee that we will use your article on the MartialTalk Magazine web site or in the magazine.

Text:
Text must be in a form readable on a standard Windows-based PC, and be able to be edited and formatted into HTML. Generally MS Word, plain text, and HTML files generated on a Mac can be read on a Windows PC. Files generated on a Mac must be saved with the proper file extension (see below)The following formats are acceptable, in order of preference:

MS Word 97 (Extension .doc)
MS Word any other version (.doc)
Plain (ASCII) Text (.txt)
You can also e-mail the article in 'plain-text' mode.

We accept only the following formats: .JPG .GIF .PNG
If your images are in a different format, please contact us first so we can see if a converter is available.We prefer the the JPEG (.jpg) format be used for photographs. Please save the image in a medium-quality mode. If possible, use at least a 100DPI setting.

The GIF (.gif) format is used for other kinds of artwork, especially those that are created with a paint or drawing program, but do not contain the large number of colors that are found in a typical continuous tone photograph.

DeadLine: All Submissions must be received by the 20th of the month prior to running.

Acceptance of Submissions: We do not guarentee acceptence of all submissions or when they will be run if accepted. We try to balance each issue to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Letters: Immortalize yourself! Letters to the editor can be sent to editor@martialtalk.com. If we print your letter, we print your letter.
If you have any questions, contact the editor at editor@martialtalk.com.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Text:
Text must be in a form readable on a standard Windows-based PC, and be able to be edited and formatted into HTML. Generally MS Word, plain text, and HTML files generated on a Mac can be read on a Windows PC. Files generated on a Mac must be saved with the proper file extension (see below)The following formats are acceptable, in order of preference:

MS Word 97 (Extension .doc)
MS Word any other version (.doc)
Plain (ASCII) Text (.txt)
You can also e-mail the article in 'plain-text' mode.

I take it that you don't accept pdf files?

My problem is that I work exclusively in a unix environment, and pdf is the only `mass-market' text format that I can translate my LaTeX stuff directly into to send people who use PC or Mac operating systems for their text formatting. No chance...?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could post the article as plain text, and attach the PDF to provide a nicer print version if you like?

I'm not able to extract pdf's into the format I was using before. Now, going all web, it's less of a concern. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could post the article as plain text, and attach the PDF to provide a nicer print version if you like?

I'm not able to extract pdf's into the format I was using before. Now, going all web, it's less of a concern. :)

Hi Bob, OK, I think I'll try CR's cool-sounding utility first, and if I run into trouble—always a possibility, as I've found—then I'll send you both plain and pdf versions of the article. LaTeX uses a lot of special formatting commands that will have to be removed. But it's certainly doable. Thanks for the info!

Latest Discussions