Butterfly Sword

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know i'm reasonably new here but just looking around and I have not seen any posts about using butterfly swords, does anyone here utilise them or are they more obscure than I thought.
Just received a new set from Buick Yip in HK very nice set too nicely weighted when using them a flipping the sword during a kata.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not obscure just not used by all styles, I know they are used in Wing Chun but I am not sure what other styles of CMA use them. I have not come across them in Northern styles but they could be used by some. I would not be surprised if they were in more Southern styles than just Wing Chun

Butterfly swords

OP
N

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the reply I was starting to wonder if anyone used them at all, yes they are used in the southern chinese boxing styles I just thought there would have been more practitioners out there, but thanks for the reply again

OP
N

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Excellent!!!
A friend of mine does Kenpo I must ask if he has done much of the kata work for them.
He has been away so I have not discussed it with him lately things tend to gravitate toward work to often lately.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use them in San Soo. I use to spend alot of time working with them. Not so much in the last few years.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure what styles besides Wing Chun use them (but I wouldn't be suprised if they did in Choy Lay Fut), but WC is where you see it most commonly. The reason you don't see them used very often, even though they're taught in almost all WC schools is because they aren't taught until a pretty advanced level in WC. Same for the WC long pole.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think MOST southern systems use them. I know choy lay fut and hung gar do. I think that people associate them more with wing chun because wing chun (at least the Yip Man line) really only teaches two weapons. I`ve seen them used by lots of southern styles including southern shaolin and white crane, but I don`t think I`ve ever seen them in northern styles.

OP
N

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what styles besides Wing Chun use them (but I wouldn't be suprised if they did in Choy Lay Fut), but WC is where you see it most commonly. The reason you don't see them used very often, even though they're taught in almost all WC schools is because they aren't taught until a pretty advanced level in WC. Same for the WC long pole.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have just started to learn them in the last 6 months but have been training with the same organisation since 1986 or there abouts. Its a long story so I won't get into it but we cross train in mulitple styles but the chinese boxing is Hung Gar.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just started trying to recover my butterfly sword form this week (Wing Chun) previously started learning the form a couple of years ago but never finished before the class went to peices. Now a few of us are back training I'm picking up where I left off.

Find it a fantastic weapon however it is extremely limited in this day and age, Bit hard to conceal a pair under the jacket and I'm sure it wouldn't go down well in court after using for street self defense.

Need to find a place to buy my own instead of borrowing though. Need to find an Australian supplier though as I doubt they would get past customs.

OP
N

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just started trying to recover my butterfly sword form this week (Wing Chun) previously started learning the form a couple of years ago but never finished before the class went to peices. Now a few of us are back training I'm picking up where I left off.

Find it a fantastic weapon however it is extremely limited in this day and age, Bit hard to conceal a pair under the jacket and I'm sure it wouldn't go down well in court after using for street self defense.

Need to find a place to buy my own instead of borrowing though. Need to find an Australian supplier though as I doubt they would get past customs.

Hi,
Yes carrying a concealed weapon of any sort is frowned upon, thats why its illegal. You can buy practice swords from a few places on the web I got mine from Hong Kong and are excellent quality and I have another type of practice ones coming from Fight World in QLD. They are easy to get but a lot of aussie suppliers won't bring them in due to low sales. Live blades on the other hand won't pass customs in most states but you can log on to the customs web page and see the individual state laws.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes carrying a concealed weapon of any sort is frowned upon, thats why its illegal. You can buy practice swords from a few places on the web I got mine from Hong Kong and are excellent quality and I have another type of practice ones coming from Fight World in QLD. They are easy to get but a lot of aussie suppliers won't bring them in due to low sales. Live blades on the other hand won't pass customs in most states but you can log on to the customs web page and see the individual state laws.

Hey. Yeah I have no interest for a live blade. I want to learn the weapon, not cut things. Found an Australian supplier for a good mix of weapons and other training equipment. www.tansmas.com Just waiting on an email whether the price is for a pair or individual and I will order my own set. Don't like having to borrow them.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey. Yeah I have no interest for a live blade. I want to learn the weapon, not cut things. Found an Australian supplier for a good mix of weapons and other training equipment. www.tansmas.com Just waiting on an email whether the price is for a pair or individual and I will order my own set. Don't like having to borrow them.

Thanks for the link. You`d be amazed to learn how hard it is to find training equipment in Japan or how much they overcharge for it.

OP
N

Nishibi Ryu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can highly recommend the Buick Yip swords from HK, good price too for the quality, received the ones from Fight World and they are not in the same universe pretty disappointed in them but they will be ok for my sons to train with as their hands are smaller.

Latest Discussions