Burning for Allah

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cruising around, found this: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041115/ap_on_go_ot/white_house_man_on_fire

Since the details were sequestered so fast we're not going to know anything until the results of the investigation. Wonder if the video is going to get out on the net or did the secret service nab it? Seems to me that this was a half hearted attempt. I mean the guy could've gone the way of the monk in Vietnam. He had a fire extingusher with him. Seems pretty half hearted to me. Hope they'll be more details on this later. What do ya'll think? Was this guy serious or was he just trying to get his 15 minutes?

R

raedyn

The article doesn't say he had a fire extinguisher with him it says
Afterward, he lay on the sidewalk about 10-15 feet from his partially burned raincoat, attache case and various papers. A fire extinguisher was there as well.
From this, you can't tell how it arrived on the scene.
The article later says
Jim Clarke of Burke, Va., was walking his dog when the incident occurred. He said Secret Service agents acted quickly and used an extinguisher to put out the flames.
To me, this suggests that they brought the fire extinguisher, but it certainly is ambiguous.

Really trying to make a statement? Or looking for 15 minutes? I dunno. Two sides of the same coin, I expect.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was having lunch in a resturant in Amherst, MA during the first gulf war when a person immolated himself. There I was sitting in a resturant across from the fire station, the trucks pull out sirens blaring. Half an hour later they return. I found out later that day what had happened. A young man burned himself to death in protest of the war about 1/3rd of a mile away. Kinda spooky.

Who knows why someone behaves in this way. I think this person is fortunate to be alive, and I wish him peace. If he has a message, I hope it can be heard by someone.

Mike

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Though this is not the first time a radical Muslim has lit themselves on fire, it is not a particularly common occurance. Note that in 2003, the radical mujahadeen were successful in having the leader of their cult, Maryam Rajavi, released from French prison by having some of their people light themselves on fire. (article here)

So, as a protest activity, there is precedent for this type of horrific exercise actually working....

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At least this way the only people dieing for their beliefs are themselves. My pity for them is tempered by the acts of other muslim extremists around the world.

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:idunno: You know I never understood people lighting themselves on fire. They should let them in on the secret that it really hurts:rolleyes: . Joking aside, I really think that Raedyn has a good point, I think that most people that do this do it for a cause, but are also looking for the fame. If he was truly doin it for the cause he would had dowsed himself in gas and did it right. Just my thoughts...:asian:

Cheers,

Ryan

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Stupid people need to die!!!!! :mp5: This guy as we will find out later was neither muslim or protesting he was just crazy

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MT MOD NOTE:

Thread closed pending admin review.

-Nightingale-
MT MODERATOR

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In regards to the man who lit himself on fire in front of the White House on Monday, I have uncovered some documentation to add context to this discussion.

It seems as though Mr. Mohamed Alanssi was to be a prosecution witness in the trail against "Sheik Ali Hassan al-Moayad, whom U.S. authorities consider their biggest catch to date in a campaign to cut off funding for terrorists." *

A controversy seems to be brewing wherein the defense is alledging that Mr. Allansi was fabricating his story.
“This was a manufactured crime and Mr. Alanssi had a very strong motive to ensnare these people,” said Mr. Zayed's lawyer, Jonathan Marks. “They promised to make him a millionaire on the one hand if he went along with the program and if he didn't they were going to put him in jail and torture him.” *
I have found his suicide letter courtesy of the Washington Post directed to Mr. Robert Fuller of the FBI. It is in PDF format here. You may need to register in order to see it.

Here is his letter to Carlyle Murphy of the Washington Post, also in PDF format.

* - From the Globe & Mail

Latest Discussions