Burmese Boxing

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What is Burmese Boxing all about.I have heard that it is very similar to Muay Thai but I cannot find any soild information about it.What is the difference technical wise?Anyone know?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Burmese Boxing all about.I have heard that it is very similar to Muay Thai but I cannot find any soild information about it.What is the difference technical wise?Anyone know?

As a quick answer -- there are similarities between them, and some differences. I think a fair statement (if not perfect) would be to compare boxing styles from the US and Europe against each other. The same basic tools are there, with different emphasis and approaches.

I'll add some more detail later.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Slihn, Budovideos.com has a book on this rare art. What I have found is that it is basically the same as muay thai. I think it incorporates the use of headbutts as a technique in fighting but, as you said I could not find much on this art either.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bama Lethwei has been discussed here before - If you search for it you should be able to find out a good bit. Basically, if you go back far enough to Siam, you see that much of Lethwei and Muay Thai were developed around the same time by the same people. There are local differences much the same as certain boxing gyms tend to train certain things others might teach a little differently. Head butts are allowed, and traditional fights lasted until one fighter was not physically capable of continuing. These days it looks a WHOLE lot like Muay Thai.

The shovel kick is around today and it basically fires hard and fast from the ground at around a 45 degree angle to the opponents thigh / knee (either inside or out) rather than the traditional Mauy Thai roundhouse that tends to actually hit at a downward angle. Many people train this kick but call it something different.

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the end, burmese boxing is just like muay thai, but you can headbutt and there are no gloves involved

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a relationship between Burmese Boxing and Bando?
Yes...and no.

Nice answer, huh?

Traditional bando has a relationship with Burmese boxing that's similar to kickboxing's relationship to karate. It's only a small part or selected emphasis of what's covered under the term "bando", which can be considered sort of loosely synonymous with "martial art" or "kung fu" or "karate." (And that's really condensing lots of info into one sentence...) Dr. Gyi and the American Bando Association introduced a modernized & modified form of Burmese boxing to the US which is also sometimes called Bando Boxing or Bando Kickboxing. Boxing gloves, headgear, and foot & shin protectors are used in these amateur bouts which last for 3, 2-minute rounds. Headbutts and elbows are not permitted in the official bouts, though some schools still practice them in-house, and a few other modifications were made. But this is still only a small part of the Bando System as taught by Dr. Gyi. (As an aside, there are other forms of Bando, including the Kachin System taught by Phil Dunlap; his website is www.thaing.net, and other systems taught still taught locally in Myanmar (modern Burma).

It's also my understanding that there were Burmese Boxing methods and schools separate from the elements that comprise modern Bando.