Bujinkan dojos...

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are all Bujinkan dojos good to go to or are there any that are sort of "black listed?" I was thinking about checking out one in Chattanooga. Tennessee and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it??? Thanx in advance.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ew, that whole "black-listed" thing can get kinda ugly. Best to think of it in terms of which instructor would be better to train with.

Hatsumi sensei, soke of the Bujinkan recommends that you should only train with shidoshi that go and train with him in Japan regularly and also recently. It's for your own good to get the best quality that you can, and a shidoshi that continues his education under the constantly improving teachings of the soke will better be able to keep you up to date on Bujinkan training.

It has little or nothing to do with any kind of "politics."

Recommendation: In addition to your queries here and on other fora, and whatever other internet searches you do, find the phone number and address of the dojo you're curious about, and either call or visit the shidoshi. Ask them the following questions - if they refuse to answer any of them or give confusing / conflicting answers, then you probably shouldn't bother training at their school:

1) When did you start / How long have you been training in the Bujinkan?

2) When did you become / How long have you been teaching in the Bujinkan?

3) When was the last time / About how often do you go to Japan to train with Mr. Hatsumi?

4) May I see the following - your latest rank certificate, your teaching license, your annual membership card and / or your shidoshi-kai fellowship card?

Then after all that is cleared up, you can go on to ask about training times and locations, costs, etc.

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I should have asked this too... Would it negatively affect my training if I took Buj in Tennessee and practiced some To-Shin Do at home also??? The reason I ask is most people have said that it is really important to have an instructor, but I also really enjoy my To-Shin Do videos. Honestly, would it be bad to take both??? I don't want to start a flame war, I just wanna know if it would be negative to my personal development somehow?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satt said:
Would it negatively affect my training if I took Buj in Tennessee and practiced some To-Shin Do at home also??? The reason I ask is most people have said that it is really important to have an instructor, but I also really enjoy my To-Shin Do videos. Honestly, would it be bad to take both??? I don't want to start a flame war, I just wanna know if it would be negative to my personal development somehow?

I have a lot of videos and also go to training every week with my instructor in Japan. I think that having a real instructor is much, much more important than following videos. I do not see how having a real instructor can be bad for your development. Just let him know that you are doing the video course at the same time. You probably have picked up some bad habits that you are not aware of and he/ she may be able to find them if he knows that you have been doing some training.

And heck, you may find that you enjoy a real dojo ten times better than doing the video route. And even if you hate the dojo, you still have the videos, right?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My honest advice would be to watch any and all videos as entertainment and for information purposes only, not as training guidelines. If you're really serious, you will find a way to a good Bujinkan dojo soon enough.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
My honest advice would be to watch any and all videos as entertainment and for information purposes only, not as training guidelines. If you're really serious, you will find a way to a good Bujinkan dojo soon enough.
Hmm. Don't you think that the right videos, under the tutelage of a qualified instructor, can be used as training tools?

I think so... IMO they help you see things "one on one" that you might not "get" in a classroom environment, and, if you pick up on somthing that seems different than the way you were doing it, can show you what to ask your instructor about, by way of clarification...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If your instructor is good enough, you shouldn't feel the need to supplement your training by watching video tapes. Right now I'm watching the Taikai 2000 tape over again and it's indeed amazing how much I can pick up now that I didn't see the last time I watched it. Having said that, I don't see it as something that should be "tried out" using the video as a guideline. I gave up on trying to categorize each henka with its intended purpose and deployment waaaaaaay back.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
If your instructor is good enough, you shouldn't feel the need to supplement your training by watching video tapes..
Is it how good your instructor is, or how good YOU are?

I dont always pick up on things quickly... I need to see em over and over and over...

Maybe I just suck.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back onto the subject of the School in Chattanooga...

I checked their website, and they are under Ed Martin, whom I have had the pleasure of training with, and despite other opinions on this board about him, I enjoy his style of teaching quite a bit.

THAT SAID, HOWEVER...

The main instructor at that Dojo is only a 1st Dan... and It sounds as if many of his classes are taught by a 5th Kyu student.

Me Personally, I would be wary of that... Not to say I wouldnt check em out... but it seems, at first glance anyhow, that there is a lack of experience there.

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Technopunk. I was kinda wondering about that 1st Dan thing too. Anyway, I will go check them out when I get back. That is why I was asking about the videos though. I think I will continue to test for belts with SKH and go check it out and see what I think for a while. I will tell them that I am an SKH student though just so they know.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know Chris from Chattanooga. He is a wonderful person and an excellent instructor. Rank is not always a great indicator of skill..........he has been in the Bujinkan a long while and most of Ed's students are not concerned with rank. Chris' skill iand training approach are ahead of many instructors that outrank him. I would highly reccomend traiing with him.

Markk Bush

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks man. It's good to hear nice things about him.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
I know Chris from Chattanooga. He is a wonderful person and an excellent instructor. Rank is not always a great indicator of skill..........he has been in the Bujinkan a long while and most of Ed's students are not concerned with rank. Chris' skill iand training approach are ahead of many instructors that outrank him. I would highly reccomend traiing with him.

Markk Bush
Thanks Markk,

Good to hear your endorsement... I'd trust your judgement.

I agree rank is not always an indicator of skill... As I said in my post, I wouldnt reccomend NOT checking it out... only to be careful about the amount of experience there.

We all know there are some people just looking to "teach you how to be a ninja" out there... so it doesnt hurt to be careful.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

Hello Mark,good to see you on here, I was turned onto it by Jason "Satt" To start, I would like to tell some things about me, I started training in 1994 under Bud Malmstrom, I soon saw in the martial arts that there are those who worry way to much about rank than skill, I decided to stop testing for awhile. I wanted the path for me to mean more. I have never cared about rank, only about heart and skill, and my friends I train with. I worry about were my students "friends" are in rank and that is up to me, not them. My rank is up to My teachers above me, Thom Humphries, Ed Martin and other members of the collective group of bujinkan dojo's that care more about our students than we do about rank. Rank is only used as a determination of were you are in your training and does not necessarily indicate skill.

As for a green belt leading glass, My schedule with work does not always and only on blue moons allow me to be there, but you should see this green belt. He is good. I started teaching as a green belt to get a group started here all under the observation of the collective. It is still that way. So, with all this being said, I welcome any questions you may ask.
Good to see you all
Chris Sanders ^o^
www.budotaijutsu.freeservers.com

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about TN. But I have a couple of friends who have opened up a dojo (Middle Tennessee Bujinkan Dojo - Greg and Jenny Slayton) in Pulaski, TN.

If you are around that area, you might want to check them out.

HTH,

Deaf

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountain Kusa said:
Hello All,

Hello Mark,good to see you on here, I was turned onto it by Jason "Satt" To start, I would like to tell some things about me, I started training in 1994 under Bud Malmstrom, I soon saw in the martial arts that there are those who worry way to much about rank than skill, I decided to stop testing for awhile. I wanted the path for me to mean more. I have never cared about rank, only about heart and skill, and my friends I train with. I worry about were my students "friends" are in rank and that is up to me, not them. My rank is up to My teachers above me, Thom Humphries, Ed Martin and other members of the collective group of bujinkan dojo's that care more about our students than we do about rank. Rank is only used as a determination of were you are in your training and does not necessarily indicate skill.

As for a green belt leading glass, My schedule with work does not always and only on blue moons allow me to be there, but you should see this green belt. He is good. I started teaching as a green belt to get a group started here all under the observation of the collective. It is still that way. So, with all this being said, I welcome any questions you may ask.
Good to see you all
Chris Sanders ^o^
www.budotaijutsu.freeservers.com
Chris,

On behalf of the Mod team, Welcome to Martial Talk.

From me personally,

Thanks for coming on and clarifying your position, it's good to be able to get all sides of a story... As I said in my above post, There are a lot of people out there trying to make a buck teaching "ninjitsu" that one has to wonder when someone of that rank claims to be running a school... but, as I also said, I trust Markk's judgement as well, so... I hope you accept this as my apology if I offended you in any way.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No Techno, I was not upset in any way. So many times all it takes to set a person onto the right path is to tell them the truth.

Chris Sanders

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the above posts, there is frequent mention about video's and if they help or harm, etc. My oppinion is this; they certainly cant hurt. I have been on both sides of the fence and now sit on it and allow others to debate its finer points.

Lets say that there is a person that really wants to learn Buj. Ninjutsu / Budo taijutsu. They have a friend that wants to as well. But their problem is that they are 1000 miles away from a qualified teacher. Van Donk offers a video series designed to help people in this situation get a start. Are we to deny anyone this gift? With this being said, if that person is near a qualified instructor, I think then it would be better to train with that instructor, espeacially if he is training with someone like Ed Martin, Jack Hoban or their students or their students.

I am 41 now and have been studying this art since I was 23. Ok now I see all these red flags go up. But chris you said that you have only been training since 1993. This is true and it was physical training. I started studying all of SKH's book every time one would come off the press, I was even a part of the Shadows of Iga Society, (not now but still have the card)(collectors item)Now I still continue to study to glean what I can from HatsuMi Sensei's writtings.

Back to the videos. I have all of Van Donks videos that he uses to get people their BB's. From what I have seen there in nothing wrong with what is taught there. The thing that is hard to do from a video is for someone that has never trained in this art before to see that from say Omote gyakku, that there a miriad of ways for them to do a gyakku. I find new ways all the time to do this move. Just when i think there in no way to make it any worse on an attacker, I find something worse. I personally never try to bash a person that is trying to find truth, and that is what the martial arts is about. Seeking truth. The biggest truth I have found is this; It is better not to fight, and winning a fight is never pleasant.

Again with all this being said, I still purchase Hatsumi's Videos, Someone that trains with a teacher can see ways to do things that might work for them. Lets face it. All of us are built different, some tall, thin, fat, short, diminutive, muscular, etc. We do not all move the same. Butch Johnson (whom just recently passed away and which I never got the pleasure of training with) was a large man. I heard about him that he could tear a person up. Do not judge a person by how they are built. I reccomend to all my students to purchase all Hatsumi's videos, books etc. which is my way of saying, It is okay, so much about this art comes from within. I also never hide knowledge from a person if they have a good heart. Those above would be disapponted in me.

Can a person get knowledge from a video? absolutely. Should that be their only scource? depends on their situation, may be all they have. But I will tell you this, once a person startes to develop budo eyes, they can see into the video and see the mechanics of what just happened. Sometimes not but it depends on their level of development.

I hope this helps
Chris