Bujinkan 2007 theme?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but a few searches has not revealed it.

What is the ryu and weapon class focus for 2007?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2007 theme of the year is Kukishin Ryu and several Shihan have mentioned that you should dust off your rokushaku bo's.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
2007 theme of the year is Kukishin Ryu and several Shihan have mentioned that you should dust off your rokushaku bo's.

I'd previously heard "Kukishin ryu and shizentai", with the two principal weapons starting out being sword and rokushakubo. So it sounds like at least one important focus of last year's training, "naturalness", is being carried over into the examination of Kukishin methods.

For my group so far, in Tuesday's primarily-taijutsu class we've begun looking at fundamental movement concepts and kamae applications (mainly kosei so far, including application against things like leading hand jab/cross combinations), and have begun scratching the surface of the kata Seion.

In Thursday's primarily-weapons class (last week's was the first) we didn't get into any of the formal sword stuff as there wasn't time. We began with the kata Goho, as everyone was already familiar with the furigata and fundamental striking but not everyone remembered the kata. After a bit of that we switched over to how a swordsman would receive the strikes -- as well as how wearing armor might change the way you deal with the ashibarai.

Then we began "deconstructing the kata" to show how, at any point within it, the swordsman could win; then finished out with how all that could be countered/neutralized by the guy with the bo.

The first Tuesday class of the year was almost empty, but this week's was packed due to people returning from the holdays as well as some newbies. We also had a visitor, a black belt from David Dow's dojo in SoCal who was in the area and who seemed to have a lot of fun with all the neck-breaking and arm-breaking stuff we were doing. He asked me afterward if I could give him the names of any of the techniques we'd done in the class, so I did: "Seion, the final 20 minutes. The rest was just ideas for things you can do with Kosei no kamae with 'the feeling' of Kukishin ryu."

One of the main things I was trying to get across re: Kosei was understanding maai along with the kamae in order to control the opponent's mind and the timing and "shape" of his attack. . .

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd previously heard "Kukishin ryu and shizentai", with the two principal weapons starting out being sword and rokushakubo. So it sounds like at least one important focus of last year's training, "naturalness", is being carried over into the examination of Kukishin methods.

For my group so far, in Tuesday's primarily-taijutsu class we've begun looking at fundamental movement concepts and kamae applications (mainly kosei so far, including application against things like leading hand jab/cross combinations), and have begun scratching the surface of the kata Seion.

In Thursday's primarily-weapons class (last week's was the first) we didn't get into any of the formal sword stuff as there wasn't time. We began with the kata Goho, as everyone was already familiar with the furigata and fundamental striking but not everyone remembered the kata. After a bit of that we switched over to how a swordsman would receive the strikes -- as well as how wearing armor might change the way you deal with the ashibarai.

Then we began "deconstructing the kata" to show how, at any point within it, the swordsman could win; then finished out with how all that could be countered/neutralized by the guy with the bo.

The first Tuesday class of the year was almost empty, but this week's was packed due to people returning from the holdays as well as some newbies. We also had a visitor, a black belt from David Dow's dojo in SoCal who was in the area and who seemed to have a lot of fun with all the neck-breaking and arm-breaking stuff we were doing. He asked me afterward if I could give him the names of any of the techniques we'd done in the class, so I did: "Seion, the final 20 minutes. The rest was just ideas for things you can do with Kosei no kamae with 'the feeling' of Kukishin ryu."

One of the main things I was trying to get across re: Kosei was understanding maai along with the kamae in order to control the opponent's mind and the timing and "shape" of his attack. . .

Thanks Dale! That is great information! :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched a Great Kukishin Bojutsu video by Moti Nativ... The bo techniques in there were very cool. I wish I was better with the big stick...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Dale! That is great information! :)

I ain't sayin' that this is what you'll find folks doing in Japan right now, as neither I nor any of my students have been back yet this year; but I do think that doing the kinds of things I'm talking about will provide people with some foundation for having the eyes to see more of what's going on when they get there for a visit themselves.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ain't sayin' that this is what you'll find folks doing in Japan right now, as neither I nor any of my students have been back yet this year; but I do think that doing the kinds of things I'm talking about will provide people with some foundation for having the eyes to see more of what's going on when they get there for a visit themselves.

I understand. Thanks! :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Nice post Dale. Very informative on how your class went. I for one am glad that you are posting over here more often!
icon14.gif

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just found that out yesterday that Brad had made it to your dojo. In his email he said he really enjoyed the class. He is traveling around the US for a year or so I think. He is planning on training at as many dojos as possible.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just found that out yesterday that Brad had made it to your dojo. In his email he said he really enjoyed the class. He is traveling around the US for a year or so I think. He is planning on training at as many dojos as possible.

Yup, that's his plan. He's off to Oregon next.

He was also able to make it to tonight's class (rokushakubo & sword). We were still working Goho, not so much the mechanics but tactics and psychology. Brad's a good guy, and it was a delight having him here. I think for our part we've given him an enjoyable beginning to his shugyo; and I hope we'll see him again one of these days.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched a Great Kukishin Bojutsu video by Moti Nativ... The bo techniques in there were very cool. I wish I was better with the big stick...

I had that video. I got it when a Japanese shihan started going through all the kata one by one for me. I thought it might help me get some insight since I wanted to do my best in learning each and every kata I was being shown. I ended up getting rid of it since much of what was on the tape contradicted what I was being told in Japan.

And I happen to think that hanbo and sword will be taught more this year than rokushakubo. I think one shihan in Japan, maybe two, will teach rokushakubo. But remember that last year there was a prohibition against anything other than padded sticks due to safety concerns. There are padded rokushakubo in the honbu, but I wonder if Ayase will do much training in it.

Latest Discussions