British raison d'etre for Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/10089/

It would be fair to say that Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles knows quite a bit about the Britain’s involvement in Afghanistan. He was the British ambassador in Afghanistan between May 2007 and April 2009. And then he became special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan before leaving his post in June last year. So when he says that the reason for the British army’s continued presence in the region has less to with any military objectives than with simply giving the army something to do, it’s a criticism to be reckoned with.

Cowper-Coles’s comments were made as part of written supplementary evidence given to the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee last November, but they were only released on Thursday. Coming from a critic of the war, it might be possible for the Foreign Office to brush them aside, but coming from a semi-insider, that’s not so easy.

Cowper-Coles writes that the Afghan War gave the army ‘a raison d’être it had lacked for years and resources on an unprecedented scale’. It is this, the unprecedented availability of resources, he says, that drove the strategy in Helmand and not an ‘objective assessment of the needs of a proper counter-insurgency campaign in the province’.

These aren’t just Cowper-Coles’s observations; he even quotes the then head of the British army, Sir Richard Dannatt, from a 2007 conversation. Apparently, Dannatt told Cowper-Coles that unless he used the battle groups freed up with the cessation of operations in Iraq, many of those battle groups would be lost. It didn’t matter that they might not be needed or that they were unsuitable: we’ll use them or we’ll lose them, that was the logic.

Whoa. That is cynical.

Thoughts?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad those units are there, they are helping an old and true friend fight bad guys. After all, Afghanistan is the war everyone said we should be fighting, it was iraq that was the unnecassary war. Remember?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm glad those units are there, they are helping an old and true friend fight bad guys. After all, Afghanistan is the war everyone said we should be fighting, it was iraq that was the unnecassary war. Remember?

Yeah, but to design a strategy to use forces (paid for by money extracted by force) just to maintain their existence? Isn't that militarism?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the West.

It's what we've been doing for the past few centuries, sometimes with laudible aims, sometimes not, mostly not (if the extraction of profit by force of arms is not considered laudible) altho' some good was done as a side effect of efficient wealth transfer.

A while back it wasn't reprehensibke to act that way, it was the way the Game was played. Nowadays, for public consumption, an acceptable face has to be put on things, whilst the bald actuality of self-interest continues.

It might sound like I condemn that (and from a purely moral perspective I most certainly do) but the sad fact is that if our governments cease to act in the interests of the wealthy then we all suffer. Regardless, the failing of the strength of the West will happen eventually and perhaps sooner than we think and some other country or group of countries will gain ascendency and it will be 'us' acting as terrorists and insurgents.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People forget, this is our fourth Afghan war. We are standing at 1-1-1 at the moment, this current one has still to be decided.

Our army is made up of professional soldiers, their job is to fight whoever the Queen via her government sends them to fight, they don't want to lose their jobs any more than anyone does. However the government owes it to them not to send them anywhere they shouldn't be and to look after the wounded and the families of those killed in action.

Actually the army had plenty to do, they are still in the Falklands, they serve in places like Sierra Leone, they guard Cyprus from another invasion by the Turks, they do endless UN tours in various hot spots around the world and of course despite what many think there's still Northern Ireland, soldiers are still being killed there.

We went into Afghanistan because the government of the time kowtowed to the Americans, the terrorists are in Pakistan, Iran, Syria etc but hey America wanted to do something big to pay for 9/11 so they took a pin, blindfolded the president and he stuck the pin in Afghanistan. So there you go, our soldiers pay in blood.

Billichik, you aren't that true a friend out there, when your people are constantly criticising the British soldiers who fought and died there, some of your people have been downright disrespectful to them. In fact you are building up quite a bit of resentment with your 'the Brits did it wrong' the Brits are soft' stuff that's coming out, well, I can tell you 1000 Royal Marines held more territory, had more fire fights and lost less men in three years than yours did with 20 times the manpower and half the territory in three months. So you can stuff you platitudes right up where the sun don't shine. Good friends my ****.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree with your healthcare system, but I have always admired your troops. I also have thought that Britain, along with Israel, are America's best friends in the world. I have to think, that you would want Britain to pulll out of the effort in Afghanistan. Isn't Afghansitan the "right war" that Bush had neglected, in favor of invading Iraq? The terrorists in Afganistan, if they have a friendly government there will not just attack America. Britain is another target in their sites. Once Britain pulls out, then what? the same goes for the rest of the fight in the various countries mentioned. Is the best strategy against islamic terrorism to pull back all of our troops, and try to intercept attacks after the plans have been launched? Are Obamas use of Drones in Pakistan the way to go? Impersonal, long distance attacks from the air with less control over civillian casualties? Will this be the way to go after Britain and the States pull back?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with your healthcare system, but I have always admired your troops. I also have thought that Britain, along with Israel, are America's best friends in the world. I have to think, that you would want Britain to pulll out of the effort in Afghanistan. Isn't Afghansitan the "right war" that Bush had neglected, in favor of invading Iraq? The terrorists in Afganistan, if they have a friendly government there will not just attack America. Britain is another target in their sites. Once Britain pulls out, then what? the same goes for the rest of the fight in the various countries mentioned. Is the best strategy against islamic terrorism to pull back all of our troops, and try to intercept attacks after the plans have been launched? Are Obamas use of Drones in Pakistan the way to go? Impersonal, long distance attacks from the air with less control over civillian casualties? Will this be the way to go after Britain and the States pull back?

Our healthcare system is not yours to disagree with so your opinion of it means nothing.

I think you actually know little about terrorism, who the terrorists are and how they operate. Britian is not and never has been a target for the Taliban. I think you are confusing them with Al Queda which actually is a hydra organisation.

I notice you have ignored my charges of the way the Americans have treated our troops in Sangin. Perhaps that's the way you think friends and allies should treat each other. The Americans have said when enough blood have been shed they will hand Sangin over to the Afghans, the American soldiers have snipers shooting anyone they fancy as well as livestock needed by families to survive. and the locals are terrified of them. The American commander says the British were soft. However the cost is high both to the Afghans and to the Americans, I hope they can justify these deaths to the American families.
For you this is just an amusing pastime, posting up your right wing propoganda but to some of us it's intensely personal, our brigade of a thousand personel had 50 soldiers killed, 30 triple amputatees, over 400 injured. These people are my colleagues, my friends and my martial arts students, they are the parents of the children we teach,the spouses of people we work with and live with, it's our community so spare me any theorectical guff you may have to say on what should or shouldn't happen in Afghan.

Oh by the way, they all came back to work on Monday after six weeks leave, they have started training for their next deployment in Afghan, next year when we will have to go through it all again, and for the Americans to betray our troops again like they did in Sangin, so yes the Brits need to leave Afghanistan to whatever mess it's in. We really, really don't care.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tez, I know people serving and suffering as well. this is a serious issue and walking away is not an option. Under the taliban, terrorist training camps operated freely and went unmolested. The attacks on the west are not going to simply stop because we pull troops back. We have troops around the world dealing with terrorists making Afghanistan one theater of operations. I just want to know, so we bring your troops home, and ours, what then?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, I know people serving and suffering as well. this is a serious issue and walking away is not an option. Under the taliban, terrorist training camps operated freely and went unmolested. The attacks on the west are not going to simply stop because we pull troops back. We have troops around the world dealing with terrorists making Afghanistan one theater of operations. I just want to know, so we bring your troops home, and ours, what then?

Frankly? Who gives a ****.

Have you been there, served there? Are you going there, do you actually know what's going on there?

The attacks on the west haven't stopped because we are there, they mostly didn't come from there in the first place.

You have troops around the world stopping terrorist attacks, where?

And when are you going to answer my question about America betraying, belittling and slagging off our troops? The Americans said the British were cowards in Sangin. They wren't supposed to have to hold Sangin, but the Americans asked them to then they come in with twenty times the troops and rubbish our lads..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sangin

Last edited by a moderator:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The Americans"..as in all Americans say ??

Whatever...

You are cherry picking quotes from people to support your preconceptions IMO. Have your criticisms of my countrymen all over this forum been any different from the stuff you are complaining about now?

Death and injury? Do you REALLY want to compare who has paid more in blood and pain here? Really??

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about Sangin. You apparently have looked into it and don't like what happened there. In a war, these things happen all the time, that is why you enter into war only when you absolutely have to. I think after the twin towers were knocked down by islamic terrorists, the gloves had to come off. It isn't easy, it isn't efficient, but those who have served in the military will tell you it is an inefficient, and clumsy establishment. The soldiers suffer the most for mistakes made at home. too often they are forgotten after they have been injured and that definitely needs to be changed. It still doesn't change the equation that wars have to be fought, and this fight in particular needs to continue. We disagree, and probably always will.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about Sangin. You apparently have looked into it and don't like what happened there. In a war, these things happen all the time, that is why you enter into war only when you absolutely have to. I think after the twin towers were knocked down by islamic terrorists, the gloves had to come off. It isn't easy, it isn't efficient, but those who have served in the military will tell you it is an inefficient, and clumsy establishment. The soldiers suffer the most for mistakes made at home. too often they are forgotten after they have been injured and that definitely needs to be changed. It still doesn't change the equation that wars have to be fought, and this fight in particular needs to continue. We disagree, and probably always will.

Well, that is the basic problem with your statement: You don't know.
And frankly, in this case you better back off. because I know I would not take your kind of comments lightly when they hit this close to home. You don't know what you are talking about, and that means in some cases that silence is indeed golden.

So, just like it irks me in sports when the couch potatoes proclaim the 'we' in the effort, unless you put on a uniform and pick up a gun, you had no part in the 'we', other than happily signing away a large chunk of our collective liberties.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Death and injury? Do you REALLY want to compare who has paid more in blood and pain here? Really??

I think the Afghans and Iraqis win that one hands down. Don't forget them...

Back to the article, I guess what really irks me is that no one can even consider disbanding units that aren't needed. Instead, we send men and women off the kill and die simply to keep them active. That's unconscionable, IMO.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know granfire, I will post about the topics I feel like posting about. I don't know about one incident in one aspect of a global effort. If Tez does and feels strongly about it, that is all well and good, but let's not lecture me about what I post. I support the war effort, it has a horrible cost but we didn't initiate the problem. We as a country have to deal, with this problem because it isn't going away. We can pull all our troops out, let Iran get a nuclear weapon, and frisk everyone at the airport, but the problem will still be there. You can't ingore it, you can't wish it away.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What you mean is YOU don't want a Universal health scheme for the US. The British system may need some work but it has been an example for the rest of the world and of great benefit to the UK people. Civilised communities recognise the need to provide a basic level of healthcare for their citizens as can be seen in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, most European countries, Japan and more. Third world countries don't see the need as it would divert funds from the overseas bank accounts of their great leaders and their cronies.

As to your choice of friends ... WTF has Israel done except keep tensions in the Middle East on the boil. I support their right to a free state but the Palestinians have the same rights. The Israelis are obviously operating under cover in Afghanistan as I can't seem to find where they are based. They were quiet in Vietnam too. And, your President has gushed all over the French as his 'New Best Friend' (NBF). Yep, they're right up there. They stuffed up Vietnam in the first place then ran out in a hurry. Left it to the US and I seem to recall the Aussies suffered a few casualties as well. Sorry, I forgot. The French supported the US in the War of Independence nearly two and a half centuries ago, and gave the US some sort of statue to celebrate freedom. I suppose that makes you best friends.

Iraq was a disaster that should never have happened. It has destabilised the entire region. Afghanistan will never be won and Sangin shows how you can stuff up years of hard work in a matter of months. Oh, and I should mention the NBF has lost about 42 KIA in Afghanistan, about 300 less than the Brits! The excuse for Afghanistan was Al-Qaeda but there are no Al-Qaeda camps left in Afghanistan. They are over the border in Pakistan and in the Sudan.

Just to add a little perspective.

Last edited:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
K-man, this is not a healthcare thread. Just a freindly piece of advice, you might want to stay closer to the topic. Some people on this site will alert a moderator if you stray from the original post. There are places for healthcare talk, you might want to post there.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
K-man, this is not a healthcare thread. Just a freindly piece of advice, you might want to stay closer to the topic. Some people on this site will alert a moderator if you stray from the original post. There are places for healthcare talk, you might want to post there.
Sorreeey! I must have misread your post. I just re-read the thread and it was you who made the first and only reference to health care. I just responded.

As to the rest of my post? Refresh my memory, Just why are we still in Afghanistan?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it were up to me I wouldn't care about where you went, especially if it were a thread that I started. However, some here will report you to moderaters for even small deviations from the original post. My response about healthcare was in responce to a quick mention by someone else. I need to tread lightly, due to practical experience. We knocked out the taliban, Afghanistan needs to be stabilized, or at least needs the chance to be stabilized. It may be impossible. Obama, who supported this war, isn't serious about it, so it may not be possible to do what needs to be done. As far as the terrorists in Pakistan and Syria, they used to be in Afghanistan, I wonder why they left?

I was resonding to someone saying I always say the British did it wrong. That goes back to my lack of support for the NHS in Britain. It was a quick response to that.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, as anticipated this thread has fired up a number of intemperate responses.

It might be beholden upon everyone to remember that altho' this is the Study and therefore small lapses in courtesy are to be expected, tearing strips off each other is hardly the behaviour guaranteed to lead to a productive discussion.

Please bear that in mind before the Moderator staff have to start rolling up their sleaves.

Mark A. Beardmore
MT Mentor

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We knocked out the taliban, Afghanistan needs to be stabilized, or at least needs the chance to be stabilized. It may be impossible. Obama, who supported this war, isn't serious about it, so it may not be possible to do what needs to be done. As far as the terrorists in Pakistan and Syria, they used to be in Afghanistan, I wonder why they left?
Unfortunately WE haven't knocked out the Taliban and because the Taliban are supported by the local population we will never knock out the Taliban. Possibly only a small percentage of Afghanis support the Taliban but to them it is the lesser of two evils. The Russians failed to defeat the Taliban, not the least because the US were supporting the Taliban in those days.

The only chance to achieve an honourable disengagement is to have the support of the local people. This will never happen when innocent civilians are needlessly killed, wounded or made homeless. This is more than 'collateral damage'.

If you are interested in why I have little time for our engagement in the Middle East you might like to check out this video on 'collateral murder' from three years ago in Iraq.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/wikileaks-exposes-video-o_n_525569.html

Now put yourself in the position of the local population and your journalist cousin has just been murdered by foreign troops. Your brother went to his aid only to be gunned down with your little nephew and niece. How much love can you find for Americans. Yes, one of the guys had an AK47 but millions of Americans carry weapons as well. There may have been a RPG as well. that is not well documented but regardless, these people were not threatening anyone. Two of them were journalists. The commentary from the US serviceman who was among the first on the scene is damning, yet it seems that no charges have been laid.

This is why the situation is hopeless. Tez is quite justified in being pissed off because she is right on the spot seeing first hand the results of the cockups of the people pulling the strings.

And Al-Qaeda left Afghanistan because the blow torch was applied. Unfortunately they have sought sanctuary in Pakistan where the Government is powerless to do anything to curtail their activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions