Breaking the Rules!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, don't get too excited...I just wanted to start a discussion on competition rules, compare and contrast, and more importantly, what rule do you find yourself wanting to bend ( or break ) all the time?

For me, in Judo, the rule I really don't appreciate is not being able to throw daki-age. It is legal to load the throw, which breaks the ground work, but actually executing it is illegal, which basically denies a guaranteed ippon.

I find myself in this position all the time and it's not very satisfying to pick someone up like that and then have to gently lower them back to the mat. I think they should go back to the old rule of calling ippon when uke has been lifted to shoulder level.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Junior Safety rule of no head shots, I believe it takes away from the competition. we do not have no head shots in the NFL or the NHL or even in soccer so why in Martial Art tournaments
Terry

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take it you're referring to kicks as well. I also think it could do us TKDists a bit of good to worry about a punch to the head once in a while...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My desire to bend some of the rules would be more from a referee's / judge's viewpoint.

I'd change the scoring methods used in the USA-NKF / WKF tournaments. I honestly believe that a good, clean, solid punch to the body should be worth at least 2 pts (nihon), and not just a mandatory single point (ippon), and that a combination of hand techniques that lands two clean shots should have the same point value as a kick to the head (3 pts, sanbon).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Groin shot should be permitted in every striking competition.

It keeps kickers honest and boxers from squaring up too much.

Lamont

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never been tempted to but I'd like to be able to kick from maybe knees up (thigh and hip). Also elbows at least to the body...and knees

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:

Lamont

No, groin shots should never be allowed. To much risk of injury, even with a cup a groin shot can put you under the knife to get things fixed.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
No, groin shots should never be allowed. To much risk of injury, even with a cup a groin shot can put you under the knife to get things fixed.

If we're talking full contact, I don't see how this is so different than injured kidneys, liver, brains, or blown knees. Opening up the groin would just change the game. (Plus some brainiac would come up with a better groin protector.)

If we are talking about light contact, control is the name of the game.

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I've never been tempted to but I'd like to be able to kick from maybe knees up (thigh and hip). Also elbows at least to the body...and knees

It sounds like you need to go play with the Muay Thai guys! :D

Lamont

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
I think they should go back to the old rule of calling ippon when uke has been lifted to shoulder level.

Did that rule apply only to that specific technique/situation or in general?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:

Lamont

:rofl: I know you're serious but the visual was hilarious! Sure would shorten up the length of the matches.

For me, it would be head shots in point sparring. We usually spar with the full contact fighters, so every time I see that head just sticking up there...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In all fairness Nick, even if they were to allow daki-age in your Judo competitions, I don't think they should allow YOU to do it. Good Lord Man, you'd kill someone.....

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Did that rule apply only to that specific technique/situation or in general?

That technique, specifically

flatlander said:
In all fairness Nick, even if they were to allow daki-age in your Judo competitions, I don't think they should allow YOU to do it. Good Lord Man, you'd kill someone.....

oh well...:idunno:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The Junior Safety rule of no head shots, I believe it takes away from the competition. we do not have no head shots in the NFL or the NHL or even in soccer so why in Martial Art tournaments
Terry
I agree. Even though head shots are legal at 12, I started my son at 10 because he refused to protect his head, knowing he couldn't get hit. His very first tourney, WHAM! head shot. Yea, it was illegal, but he still took my son's head out of the match and turned a huge lead into an overtime loss. Besides, 2 years is plenty of time to learn a bad habit and then when they are legal, it's much more difficult to teach them the additional defense. Better to start at the beginning.

Mr. Duck, to your point, I'd like to see thigh shots and sweeps legal also. It would definately change the face of the game in (IMO) a favorable way.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
jdinca said:
:rofl: I know you're serious but the visual was hilarious! Sure would shorten up the length of the matches.

For me, it would be head shots in point sparring. We usually spar with the full contact fighters, so every time I see that head just sticking up there...

You can't do head shots in point sparring???

Lamont

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:

That is the reason I ask...I think I could take bignick out that way...not sound arrogant...that would probably be my only change...and also...pretty cool to take a 340 pounder out like that...:idunno:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
That is the reason I ask...I think I could take bignick out that way...not sound arrogant...that would probably be my only change...and also...pretty cool to take a 340 pounder out like that...:idunno:

You'd have to get me on the ground first...

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Olympic tkd. Sucks we cant use our hands to the head, and sucks we cant do thigh shots, AND DEF. sucks that we cant sweet/throw :(

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No elbows in Muay Thai in most American competitions. That kind of sucks.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We did head shots in point sparring. Your school doesn't jdinca?

Anyways, The rules I like to bend are the hand contact to the head in TKD (WTF). When I did point sparring, it was allowed and I scored with my hands more than my feet. I'd fake a kick, then BAM! Get them with a quick backfist to the mellon. It never failed me to score ;)

If I can mix point sparring rules of TSD, full contact of TKD, continuous sparring of TKD, leg kicks of Muay Thai, and add throws, sweaps, ect of Judo/jujitsu (at least, sweaps, anyways). I'd be a happy camper. And I would loose the gear, except for the groin protector for guys, the mouth piece, and gloves.

Latest Discussions