Breaking comparisons

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This came up in another thread, and I decided not to derail it, so I started a new thread.

Also, especially when you get into breaking 2 inches and up, those are techniques you can't do on a partner without causing injury! 1 inch of pine pretty much resembles the strength of a rib, a 2 or 3 inch board closely resembles the strongest bone in the human body.

I have a problem with this sort of comparison. Have you deliberately broken someone's rib, and then broken boards to compare? (Or vice versa?)

Breaking is a useful test and demonstration, and it's a confidence builder. It's got a place in training -- if you want it. But doing a flat comparison is sketchy, at best, in my opinion.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Three 1" boards broken with a reverse punch will definitely do some damage on someone. One clear face shot with that much power will put the recipient down for a while. Agreed, comparisons are not productive.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I certainly dont compare breaking a board with breaking a rib, or any other bone for that matter. The thing I like about breaking is that it is less forgiving than hitting a pad as far as accuracy goes. Kicking pads you can be 1 or 2 inches off target but you still hear a loud "whack" and think yeah good kick/punch. Hit a board slightly off centre and it wont break (Im talking thick boards), so it really is a good combination of accuracy and power to break the board, plus breaking in front of a lot of people can be a good pressure test. All combined, breaking timber can be a good measure of where you are at with a technique.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Studies have been done on the tensile strength of wood and also on the tensile strength of human bone. I imagine someone, somewhere compared them and came up with the rule of thumb.

Just keep in mind that not everyone has the same size thumb. :lol:

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my problem with the comparisons are that the boards are always held in place by either helpers, or bricks, or some structure to hold them in place... do that to a human being and it would be serious assault. now if you want to impress me give a 2 x 4 to a partner and allow them to swing it around like a arm or leg and then break it in midair, if you can do that then I would the comparison stands and is valid, but the other nonsense is just for show.. hell I even like breaking, when I was competing I was breaking 15-18 bricks, coconuts, boards, bats, etc... fun but I would say extremely impractical for anythijng other then showmanship and maybe the occasional bar bet,

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
my problem with the comparisons are that the boards are always held in place by either helpers, or bricks, or some structure to hold them in place... do that to a human being and it would be serious assault. now if you want to impress me give a 2 x 4 to a partner and allow them to swing it around like a arm or leg and then break it in midair, if you can do that then I would the comparison stands and is valid, but the other nonsense is just for show.. hell I even like breaking, when I was competing I was breaking 15-18 bricks, coconuts, boards, bats, etc... fun but I would say extremely impractical for anythijng other then showmanship and maybe the occasional bar bet,
We sometimes throw boards up in the air and try to break it before it hits the ground. We also do speed breaking where the holder only holds the board loosely with the thumb and index finger so the board wont break as easily as someone holding it hard either side.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember, as Bruce most famously said, boards don't hit back :D.

On a more serious note, it is also worth bearing in mind that the human body can be both much stronger or much more easily damaged than you would ever imagine. It all depends on circumstances.

What board-breaking has to teach a person is how to strike through an object to obtain the desired effect (rather than just hitting the surface). It also has value in learning what happens to your hands when you start belting things for 'real' rather than at sparring strength in protective gear.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This came up in another thread, and I decided not to derail it, so I started a new thread.

I have a problem with this sort of comparison. Have you deliberately broken someone's rib, and then broken boards to compare? (Or vice versa?)

Breaking is a useful test and demonstration, and it's a confidence builder. It's got a place in training -- if you want it. But doing a flat comparison is sketchy, at best, in my opinion.
Breaking boards is a money making machine for those who teach Karate. The ability to do so, will bring you no closer to becoming a Martial Artist nor will it help you in a fight in any way, what so ever. It may give the students a sense of accomplishment and it may be a confidense builder, but other than that, I see no point in it...

... do you?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
a femur is the toughest bone in the body. I GUARANTEE its tougher then 3" of pine! ( EX-EMT here. )

so the comparison is very much invalid!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is not true. Yes, they're held for beginners or for serious power breaks, but speed breaks are not exactly uncommon. And speed breaks are exactly what you'd be practicing in a street fight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
a femur is the toughest bone in the body. I GUARANTEE its tougher then 3" of pine! ( EX-EMT here. )

so the comparison is very much invalid!

Length-wise, yes. Crosswise? I think you might want to reconsider your statement.

Current RN, CFRN, CCEMT-P here.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Length-wise, yes. Crosswise? I think you might want to reconsider your statement.

Current RN, CFRN, CCEMT-P here.

hmm crosswise.. ya still tougher then the pine.. not nearly as tough as long ways, still tougher then the pine.... the skull, ya I would buy the 3" of pine more then tougher by far.. also the leg would tend to move and take some of that power out . .. I saw a man struck by a sledgehammer that fell from 2 stories up when the man was sitting. It did NOT brake the femur and his leg was up on some lumber, so crosswise with out backing! huge bruise and things. but no fracture. This man worked hard and was 35. so fitness and things will make a difference. but the femur is the toughest bone... if you can take out 2" of pine.. ribs are no problem.. but you will not be able to take the time for things that you do when braking.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An attack that breaks a bone in a human or animal if need be, usually is done with intent and power.
The attack is thrown as hard as can be with penetration and speed.
Breaking a board is done much the same way.
Is a rib equal to 1 inch of pine I do'nt know but I do know that instruction a person to punch through that board or practicing to punch through that board may give that person the ability to throw a punch that possibly might break a rib.
Yes, it is taught to improve a persons perspective of what they can do. Yes it is taught to be a demonstration technique so every one goes “ aaaawwww” when they she it done. Dose it help a person in a real fight to brake a rib, maybe, maybe not but they may at least be able to put a little more power and speed in what they are doing and may at least win the confrontation they are in.
Watching a six year old break a board with a kick and having him break the rib of an adult with that same kick are two different things. The 2nd would have much involved with the physical size, fat layers and muscle of the person being kicked while the board is just that a board with a specific tensile strength.

Latest Discussions