Brazil: Police warn visitors, 'Don't scream if robbed'

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=1]Brazil: Police warn visitors, 'Don't scream if robbed'[/h]
"Do not react, scream or argue," says the brochure, which will be handed out by Brazilian embassies and consulates, Estadao de Sao Paulo newspaper reports. Sao Paulo police, who reportedly put together the document, are aiming their security tips at football fans planning to attend the World Cup tournament that kicks off in June.

The idea is apparently to warn visitors not to provoke robbers into further violence, and avoid the increasingly common crime of "latrocinios" - or robbery that ends in murder. "Tourists come mainly from Europe and the United States, where they do not see this crime very often," says Mario Leite, who is in charge of World Cup security in Sao Paulo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds fair. It is a version of never escalate a fight you are loosing.

Wasn't that how batman was created?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sounds very much like the cops are trying to get people to stay away from the tournament too.

have seen a lot of this negative stuff and yup it does happen but not so much on the scale the cops would have you believe.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun place to visit! LOL! All kidding aside, I wonder if all of Brazil is like this, or just certain areas. I also wonder how many murders happen, even after the victim(s) comply. Sadly though, any time you leave the US, you're going to be a potential target. Many of these places rely on tourism as another source of income, and it's a no brainer that a tourist is probably going to be carrying items of value, ie: camera, camcorder, money, etc. Of course, I had to laugh at this:

"Tourists come mainly from Europe and the United States, where they do not see this crime very often," says Mario Leite, who is in charge of World Cup security in Sao Paulo."

as if robberies, muggings don't happen in the US, all the time.

Latest Discussions