Brass Forearm Rings

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about incorporating brass forearm rings to help me.
Has anyone here used them? Any pros or cons about them? I found a website where I can purchase some which some told me is rare.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They are used to build strength in your forearms and to help develop power and speed.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They also can bruise your forarms and back of your hands. Be careful, because especially on the hands they can bruise deep enough to be on the bone. Makes them painful and tender. While this can toughen your arms make sure to use good dit da jow, not just any junk out there. Get some training to make sure you are doing it right. You might end up hurting yourself if you overdo it.

Brendan Lai's in San Francisco, and Wing Lam Enterprises in Sunnyvale California can supply brass rings and dit da jow.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Brendan Lai's in San Francisco, and Wing Lam Enterprises in Sunnyvale California can supply brass rings and dit da jow.
:lol2:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well ... the brass forearm rings could cause bruising, pain and soreness and the dit da jow can aid healing from such.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you thought about using some good wrist weights instead?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Have you thought about using some good wrist weights instead?

Why?? The idea behind the rings is conditioning of the bone & skin along with the weighted training? Why discount a large portion of training for comfort.

With the bridges of Hung Ga & some other Southern CMA, have really, really, really hard forearms is a bonus.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Well ... the brass forearm rings could cause bruising, pain and soreness and the dit da jow can aid healing from such.

K... still no joke is leaping out....

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
clfsean said:

"I'd like instructions on how to break my arm"

"ok, and here are instructions on how to call a doctor once you are finished"

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must be missing the joke in standard training. A student shouldn't bruise if they're doing it right, but who ever does it right? So ... we (CMA) have stuff to fix it.

Move along... nothing to see...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Umm..

Wouldn't punching into the air with these things really wear at the elbows? Punching with wrist weights is bad enough, these things would carry a lot more forward momentum after the punch.

If power and speed are the goals maybe give resistance bands a try.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe, but again if they're punching correctly, the elbow isn't locking out & has a slight bend to it.

Resistance bands are good & all now in modern times, but I'm guessing they weren't available in Qing era China & they don't provide for forearm conditioning either.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its the type of training you do with them that makes them effecive and safe. Of course punching out and extending your elbow will hurt your elbow. The idea is to start slow (and soft) and build up. Thye are great for conditioning and for building strength and speed. Its just on method versus another really. Personally I like the idea of hitting a ouple of needs with one excersize, but thats just me.

7sm

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean said:

OK, Shesulsa and I shared a couple Private Messages over this. She found it kind of funny that you would train so intensly that afterward you basically need to get medical treatment. That's all. Simple joke. No big deal.