Boxing/Wrestling or MMA?

Saint James

White Belt
Reaction score
Newbie here. I'm interested in learning martial arts, and I'm wondering: would it be more effective to take two separate classes for boxing and wrestling, or just jump into one class for MMA? I've heard boxing and wrestling are a good combo, but neither incorporates kicks, which MMA does. However, taking two classes would give me a more in depth understanding of each martial art. I'm sorry if I sound incredibly ignorant (which I am), but I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's your goal? Do you want to be as good a fighter you can as quickly as you can, self defense, a workout/fitness, or do you plan to compete in MMA?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also if your age is accurate, this question might be moot. A lot of places don't have any adult wrestling classes nearby, so unless you're really lucky you probably won't be able to do a boxing/wrestling combo.

OP
S

Saint James

White Belt
Reaction score
What's your goal? Do you want to be as good a fighter you can as quickly as you can, self defense, a workout/fitness, or do you plan to compete in MMA?
I don't plan on being a heavy competitor, but I would like to be a somewhat decent fighter as well as just fit in general.

Also if your age is accurate, this question might be moot. A lot of places don't have any adult wrestling classes nearby, so unless you're really lucky you probably won't be able to do a boxing/wrestling combo.
In that case, would you recommend a Boxing/MMA combo? Perhaps I begin with boxing so I have basic knowledge in that area and then I could add on MMA once I was confident? Or is it better to just skip straight to MMA and learn all of the basics at once?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial talk, Saint James.

Which of the gyms are closest to you?

Have you gone to those gyms and watched any classes yet?

OP
S

Saint James

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial talk, Saint James.

Which of the gyms are closest to you?

Have you gone to those gyms and watched any classes yet?
Thanks for the welcome friend. There are some boxing and MMA gyms reasonably close to me. I haven't gone to any yet, I'm in the very early stages of deciding I want to learn, so my knowledge is very minimal. I was just seeing what preliminary advice I could find here first, but of course I'll look more deeply into things myself as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome friend. There are some boxing and MMA gyms reasonably close to me. I haven't gone to any yet, I'm in the very early stages of deciding I want to learn, so my knowledge is very minimal. I was just seeing what preliminary advice I could find here first, but of course I'll look more deeply into things myself as well.
In that case, just choose somewhere and go. See what fits your schedule-you don't even know what you'll like yet, or what you'll find that you can do, so any advice we give at this point would be kind of pointless.

Latest Discussions