Boxing vs kungfu how effective

oneenlighten

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently saw this on youtube sparring between a boxer and a kungu practitioner.
How realistic is this?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lets put it this way. That boxer wasnt exactly mike tyson.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How realistic? Well whatever happened and was caught on camera, did happen. So I guess that event was realistic. Assuming it was not deliberately faked, then it wasn't just realistic, it was real.

Is that what you are asking?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How realistic? Well whatever happened and was caught on camera, did happen. So I guess that event was realistic. Assuming it was not deliberately faked, then it wasn't just realistic, it was real.

Is that what you are asking?

Was that guy really a boxer?

Hmmmmmmm.........................

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright, others are starting funning. So: it's not much about style vs style as it is about how you train. The other big factor is personal: some people are good fighters without training, others train for years and might even be good at competitions/sparring within whatever rule set but could not fight their way out of a paper bag in a self defense situation. What are you interested in?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mike Tyson? He wasn't even Glass Joe.

4614220-4343478299-50yZ5.gif

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's real in the fact that the fight isn't scripted or staged like a fight in a film (or at least doesn't look like it anyway). If you are asking whether a boxer is likely to beat a kungfu practitioner on a "street fight", it basically comes down to how good the boxer's technique is vs how well the kungfu artist can exploit the weaknesses of boxing. Since boxers typically only train for the sport, they aren't very used to defending against low kicks, and you'll notice in the video that the boxer takes multiple kicks to his legs which over time will weaken him by affecting his stability and footwork. Of course on the flip side the boxer should have better punches and head movement since they practice those more.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol.. the Kung Fu wasn't exactly good either lol. Stuff like that makes me feel really happy about my training as a kung fu student lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently saw this on youtube sparring between a boxer and a kungu practitioner.
How realistic is this?
An experienced boxer wouldn't have turned his back to his opponent like that. An experienced boxer would have taken a slap in exchange for the opportunity to land a hard body shot or headshot.

The real question should probably be are the 2 fighters a good representation of the systems. I can' only speak of the boxing and tell you that the boxer in the video is not a good representation of boxing.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a difference between being a boxer and being a guy that is wearing boxing gloves.

That guy looked like he had never even sparred before.

He's no more a boxer then I am a Jedi when I pick up a plastic light sabre.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL.
Boxer?? Boxer in this video is no boxer.
Kung Fu practitioner? Well he at least had some training.(appears like long fist to me.)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your typical boxer isn't going turtle up into a little ball like a child when you advance on them. They're going to either flank to either side to counter you, go for a clinch, or punch you dead in your face.

Additionally, I caught "the boxer" lifting his leg up multiple times as if he was going for some sort of side kick as the monk advanced on him. Boxers don't do that, and I don't think even kick boxers do that.

So yeah, the guy with gloves on his hands isn't a boxer. I wish Kung fu practitioners would fight against real representatives from other styles instead of consistently doing nonsense like this.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
LOL.
Boxer?? Boxer in this video is no boxer.
Kung Fu practitioner? Well he at least had some training.(appears like long fist to me.)
I do long fist and my long fist doesn't look like that when I spar. My assumption is that if we knew what system of Kung Fu he's actually we will probably come to the conclusion that he's not a good representation of that system either.

Long fist systems are usually very well rooted and not hoping up for the sake of trying to hit someone in the head.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, oneenlighten.

That is not Kung Fu. That is not boxing. That is not sparring. (Honest)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, most boxers wouldn't be any good against Tyson, either.

That said, I'm not sure that guy was a boxer. There was some movement there that didn't look like it was habitual for someone doing Western boxing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, most boxers wouldn't be any good against Tyson, either.

That said, I'm not sure that guy was a boxer. There was some movement there that didn't look like it was habitual for someone doing Western boxing.
He could be a boxer. He's just a bad representative of a boxer. The question for must of us will always be are we a good representation of what we do. Sometimes we are good at the training side of things and bad at the competitive side of things. This guy lacked a lot of basics and I think the other guy that is some kind of martial artist lack the basics that one would expect to see of a beginner. I wouldn't use either one of those guys to represent either Kung Fu and Boxing. I would never say to someone "Hey come do kung fu or boxing. This is what it looks like." Then show that video

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He could be a boxer. He's just a bad representative of a boxer. The question for must of us will always be are we a good representation of what we do. Sometimes we are good at the training side of things and bad at the competitive side of things. This guy lacked a lot of basics and I think the other guy that is some kind of martial artist lack the basics that one would expect to see of a beginner. I wouldn't use either one of those guys to represent either Kung Fu and Boxing. I would never say to someone "Hey come do kung fu or boxing. This is what it looks like." Then show that video
I'll say he's definitely not only a boxer. There's movement that looks trained (though perhaps early in training), but doesn't appear to be from boxing. I didn't see anything that looked like a boxer with a few months of training and sparring. Some of that may have been an attempt to adjust to the opponent, but I'd have expected planned adjustments to fall apart when he started getting hit, and the boxing to come out. I saw no boxing - no taking advantage of the elbows being up. No driving in. No covering to get past the flurry of high strikes. I don't think he has any significant training in Western boxing.

Latest Discussions