Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Book Review:

Tai Chi Chaun – Classical Yang Style
The Complete Long Form and Qigong

By Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
ISBN-10: 188696968X
ISBN-13: 978-1886969681

The first ¼ of the book is a history of Chinese martial arts, and an over view of Tai Chi Chaun. The history is very clear and concise, easy to read and understand. The explanations of Qi and how it works are some of the best I have ever read. Even if you don’t believe in the mystic mumbo-jumbo about Qi, it’s still a good thing to read.

After moving past the histories and over views, we come to the beginning of the Tai Chi instruction itself. It starts with a look at various movements and steps found in Yang Style Tai Chi Chaun, with brief yet very good descriptions, and pictures showing application.

Then we move into Stances and warm ups, showing each with the same attention to detail found in the previous section, and the warm up exercises can easily be carried over to other martial arts. Then finally, we find the forms themselves, with pictures, descriptions, and an occasional analysis of the forms to discuss practical application.

YMAA Publishing has not let me down yet with their books. Each is a treasure in its own right, full of valuable information and any martial arts library is incomplete without at least a couple of the titles Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming has written. I highly recommend this guide to Yang style Tai Chi Chaun to anyone interested in studying Tai Chi, and to any student of the martial arts.

At times the pictures may seem confusing, and there is a DVD I have not had a chance to review yet, but I can only imagine that it would aid the process of learning the Yang style Tai Chi Chaun. As always, I recommend finding a qualified instructor to learn any martial art, but if you can’t for whatever reason, these are the books and dvds you should use to teach yourself.

Latest Discussions