"Bone Knocking" - Jow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For those who do some bone knocking in their training, I suggest getting some jow. In my kwoon, my sifu actually makes it and gives it to us. I must admit, I was a lil skeptical at first thinking I don't believe it will do anything. I am here to says, it absolutely works and works extremely well. My inside forearm still was bruised from classes the previous week, but once I applied the jow, it pretty much started to feel better with in 15 mins. I applied the jow just this tuesday the area on my arm that was painful for 5 days. Today, the pain is completely gone, no bruising, swelling at all. I am now a believer.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jow is an important integral part of WC training (imho) especially when you start working with a mook yan jong. That will just plain tear you up.

Thanks for the reminder I need to start "brewing" another batch.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Using dit dar jow (hit-bruise wine) seems helpful when bag hitting or working on the dummy. But what's a "good" jow, and how much of the benefit it gives is a result of the typical training regimen which involves periodically pausing to "rub-in" the jow (i.e. massage the area under stress) and how much is the benefit of the jow itself? God knows, there are a million different formulas out there anyway.

An awful lot of traditional Chinese medicine is heavily intertwined with millennia of folklore and superstition. Just look at the illegal and ineffective "medicinal" use of preparations made from the body parts from poached endangered species ...things like rhino horn, tiger penis, fruit bat... You might just as well try reviving medieval European medicinal practices based on the four "humors" and bleeding. The heck with traditional Chinese medicine. Why not just find a good leach?

As far as "jow" goes, I'll continue to use it since it seems somewhat helpful, is pretty cheap when mixed and aged in bulk, and does no harm as far as I can tell. But even my old Chinese sifu (who sold the stuff himself) told me privately that if your technique and training was correct, you didn't need it. He just liked making money.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
For those who do some bone knocking in their training, I suggest getting some jow. In my kwoon, my sifu actually makes it and gives it to us. I must admit, I was a lil skeptical at first thinking I don't believe it will do anything. I am here to says, it absolutely works and works extremely well. My inside forearm still was bruised from classes the previous week, but once I applied the jow, it pretty much started to feel better with in 15 mins. I applied the jow just this tuesday the area on my arm that was painful for 5 days. Today, the pain is completely gone, no bruising, swelling at all. I am now a believer.

Depends on what you are doing and how badly it tears you down. Logically, you should spend as much time building your body up as tearing it down. Proper diet, chi kung/tai chi, enough rest etc can make up for a lot of it.

That said, I've found dit da jow pretty useful for me, and I've run my own tests using it, not using it etc and found that it does indeed shorten healing time. I've also found that combo-ing it with teapills like "the great mender" works some wonders too. That may be because my medically restricted diet is not giving me what i need to build back up - but I'm going to take the help i can get wherever i can! :)

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make and sell a few different liniments for training and injuries as well as the internal pills.

I source my herbs and only use the best herbs that have been tested.

Jow increases the circulation of the area applied which then helps your body to heal a little quicker. Herbs have been proven scientifically to do what the legends claimed for years.

Let me know how i can be of service to those interested in old school liniments.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I'm a believer as well! Jow got me & my legs thru the gerk jong training and wooden dummy

Latest Discussions