Black Belt

O

Oleg

• Before you got your black belt, from white belt, for how long did you practice?
  • If you are not a black belt yet, can you still tell me for how long you been practicing?

PS: Guys please don’t get me wrong, I love Martial Arts and I am taking it not just because I want to get black belt.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We recently had a black belt promoted at our school who is the poster boy for the maximum advancement rate, he got his in about 5.5 years. One other person did it faster, but he had prior experience, most are slower, our instructor took 9 years, but he says he has a peabrain.... :)

Lamont

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oleg said:
Before you got your black belt, from white belt, for how long did you practice?
4.5 years also depends upon the martial art you are practicing.

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

I dont have my bb yet, but i did tkd for three years. I am currently doin shaolin kenpo (ralph castro) and have been for a year. I got to yellow second in tkd and am purple in sk.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't have one yet. I managed a 1st kyu in judo after about 6 years from 11-17, but haven't trained in that much since I started jujutsu. Jujutsu I started at about age 18 and I've just turned 23, with no black belt in sight yet (2nd kyu to shodan will take me a minimum of 2.5 years, probably more). My guess is that my shodan in this style of jujutsu will probably have taken me 9-10 years to achieve, thougb I am hardly the fastest to have gone through the grades.... well, the lower ones anyway! But that's another story.

Iaido doesn't take long to get a dan grade in, but I don't train consistently enough in that to manage it any time soon!

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dont have mine yet, iv been in for a little over a year adn im at green belt now, but i have to take summers off of training

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have trained on and off for 5 years. I wear a simple, leather belt, as I've found it difficult to find pants that will stay up on my slender body.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I have trained on and off for 5 years. I wear a simple, leather belt, as I've found it difficult to find pants that will stay up on my slender body.
Does yours have a single row of holes or multiple. Mine has double.:rofl:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It took me a little less time in Chito-ryu than most due to previous training. Mine took around 4.5 years by training 4 days a week at the dojo and 5-7 days per week at home. I got my Isshin-ryu sho-dan in around 2 years, but I was already a BB in Chito-ryu. I have been training in TKD for almost a year and I am creeping ever so close to testing for BB. With the different style I have studied it varies quite a bit. Mostly on what the BB means to the school. In Chito-ryu it was a big thing to get ranked at Sho-dan. In TKD it seems that so far its like you are ready to start the "real" training at 1st Dan. Just my 2 cents.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over 10 years, but at a variety of arts...but for arnis, only about 2 years of dedicated study after 2 years of "playing around" before I was promoted, then.