black belt standards

ancient warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what are the bb standards at your schools?
like how many hours total 500-750-1000?how many kicks 10,000 20,000 any weapons needed? grappling? throwing ?
tell us your stories

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, and foremost, the prospective Yudansha must demonstrate a good attitude, and be consistently training on a regular basis, with good intensity. If someone's slacking off as an ikkyu brown belt (1st kyu), not giving it an excellent effort, then they'll never receive the exam form in the first place.

In addition to this, that Yudansha candidate should really be a good example in class, so that all of the other mudansha can look up to him.

Once they have demonstrated the above, then they get the form, and are eligible to test. Here's a somewhat comprehensive list:

Minimum of 360 hours of training (that's an absolute minimum; it's usually closer to 400-500)
Perform all techniques with the appropriate level of proficiency
Ippon Kumite Kata 1-10
Jyu Ippon Kumite Kata
Kogo Kumite
Jyu Kumite
Kihon Kata Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan
Pinan Kata (Shodan through Godan)
Naihanchi
Kushanku Dai
Be able to recite the entire opening and closing ceremony (almost everyone can do it by the time they hit green belt anyways)
2 page essay, where they are asked what it means to become Yudansha, and what their future goals are in the martial arts

In the past, we've had other requirements, such as the ability to perform a minimum of two kobudo kata from the Yamanni Ryu system, but that's been put on hold for now.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
At Progressive Martial Arts Training Center we provide training in several different systems however; here is the base for our Wing Chun

Approx 350 hours training this is based upon the individual. Many of our students are BB’s in other systems. This the basic BB Testing once the individual has been accepted for testing and is performed in this order.

Testing starts after a 6 - 3 minute warm-up rounds on the punching bags.

Physical Fitness
75 push ups
75 crunches
75 squats
100 sets of high-low-high straight kicks on each leg 2 minute max time (this is 600 kicks in 4 minutes) foot never touches the ground
150 sets of 5 count battle punches in 3 minutes (750 punches)
All previous forms:
Sil Lum Tao * Sil Lum Tao standing on one leg other foot held over the top of the back of a chair and then the opposite leg
Chum Kiu
Bil Jee
108 Wooden Dummy
Must be able to instruct basic principles and concepts in all forms and address usable techniques in stand-up, stand-up clinch, throws & takedowns, on the ground, stand up against a weapon and on the ground against a weapon. Address any and all questions from testing panel on any material from the curriculum.
5 – 3 minute sparring rounds utilizing stand-up and ground environment. 150 punches, 40 kicks, 20 knees, 15 elbows minimum must be utilized each round.
3 – 1 minute rounds on the ground being held in a Guard, Side Mount, Back Mount with hooks in. Have 1 minute to get out of each position or to get to a superior position. (This last portion is utilized in every art we do)

Danny T

OP
ancient warrior

ancient warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for being soo honest looks like both systems have a very good cirruculum and the core is still true as martial way.. (working on the way to enlightenment) awesome A.W.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am curious to know what qualifies for the number of hours of training? Is that hours spent in class, or hours spent practicing outside of class, or both? While I only meet with my kung fu sifu once a week, I train on my own anywhere from 4-15 hours a week in addition to that. And this isn't including the time I spend with my kenpo teacher and the time I spend practicing that material. I find the idea of counting hours, vs. months or years sort of interesting, but would appreciate some clarification regarding how you count those hours.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am curious to know what qualifies for the number of hours of training? Is that hours spent in class, or hours spent practicing outside of class, or both? While I only meet with my kung fu sifu once a week, I train on my own anywhere from 4-15 hours a week in addition to that. And this isn't including the time I spend with my kenpo teacher and the time I spend practicing that material. I find the idea of counting hours, vs. months or years sort of interesting, but would appreciate some clarification regarding how you count those hours.
I agree; one of our base requirements is a minimum of 5 years active training; that's judged primarily by your instructor. To me, it means that missed classes are a rarity, the candidate attends clinics and seminars and our national tournaments, and clearly practices outside of class.

I'd hate to have to log every student's hours of training, though...

And there are students who come to class for 6 hours of training every week... and, to judge by their progress, they repeat the same 6 hours of training every week, too.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And there are students who come to class for 6 hours of training every week... and, to judge by their progress, they repeat the same 6 hours of training every week, too.

heh heh, and some of those students spend those six hours repeating the same first hour...
icon10.gif

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our dojo we require the following:
The canidate must have or demonstrate:
good attitude
regular class attendance
assist in teaching

During the test they must perform
80 crunches
push ups (based on individual capability)
stretching
25 striking techniques (20 reps each hand)
10 kicking techniques (20 reps each leg)
All stances with techniques performed from those stances
8 blocking techniques
kote aitae

Self-Defense
200 self defense techniques from various attacks including nage-waza, tuite, kyusho, and atemi waza

Kata:
Taikiyoku Shodan
Fukyugata (Shodan & Nidan)
Pinan (Shodan - Godan)
Naihanchi (Shodan - Sandan)
Passai (Sho & Dai)

Bunkai (Interpertation of Kata)
For all required kata

Weapons:
3 Bo Kata
1 Nunchaku Kata
1 Tonfa Kata

Kumite:
5 point tournament style fight
2 minutes continuous
2 on 1 for 2 minutes

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
like how many hours total 500-750-1000?how many kicks 10,000 20,000 any weapons needed? grappling? throwing ?
tell us your stories
What are yours?

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Attitude is important. Giving 150% effort is more important tahn everything perfect. We have 10 parts to the test. 1. Basics (around 2 hours) 2. All forms (for 1st Dan there are 5 Pinans, 6 Katas, 3 Blocking Forms) 3. Combinations 1-21, 24, 26 4. 10 Kempo Techniques 5. 2 sets of 5 animal techniques 6. 10 overhead clubs, 10 side clubs 7. 10 moving knives 6 angled knives, 3 knife ponts 8. grappling techniques 9. Written test 10.physical test. Need a 75 to pass. We also do something "new" after each section to show that even at a test, it's all about learning and doing something new, and all learn one new technique. It's a long but fun day.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking about snow removal around the garage, house, etc...
Hey could start a whole new type of payment.....THere wouldn't be many students...but I'd have a clean yard and plenty of time for weekend fishing trips, etc....

Oh yeah..........they'd have to know all the stuff I had to know for each rank they were training for also....

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Remember "JOE LEWIS" he got his Black Belt in Okinawa in less than 6 months.

Why? He kept beating up all the Black belts there in class, so the Sensi say: You are a Black belt rank.

Years of training? ..knowing a 1000 techniques? Knowing all the Kata's in your school? Mean's NOTHING if you can't fight back!

The true testing is actully fighting other Black belts and surviving! (Not sparring) with contact fighting.

Most Judo schools: you get promote if you can win against several people in your rank or beat other higher ranking. Place in tournaments?

Ranks? Colors of belts? Meaning nothing if on the streets, you cannot survived?

That is WHY? We train to fight? A black belt does NOT need to win every fight? ...but should be able do defeat most of his lower ranking students in "a street battle".

Me? ....learning to run faster (escaping at black belt level). Catch me and I poke your eye! (only kidding here)!

A true black belt is someone you can depend on! ..... (my wife depends on me most times). .............on bringing home the bacon/ Aloha (pig hunter)

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
tell us your stories

In terms of requirements, 154 self-defense techniques, 7 forms, a lot of sets, weekly continuous fighting, attendance at training camps, teaching, and at least some competition in major tournaments.

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pushups-min 50 (I could 75)
Situps - 50 min
Proficiency in kicks and strikes, hands, feet, knees and elbows as well as stances and takedowns.
Sparring
Grappling
Side and overhead clubs techniques (5 ea.)
All forms with proficiency - 5 katas, 6 pinions and Statue of the Crane.
3 of each animal (15)
3 Blocking systems-8 point, 10 point and plum tree
Time isn't measured in hours but years, average three to four depending on how much the student practices outside the class.
This just gets you nominated for the first BB rank test and each test is different. My second BB test came down to performance of a single form chosen by the testing panel. Browns going for black have to run a gauntlet of some sort through blacks going for rank.

OP
ancient warrior

ancient warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for the juniors <<adults vary a little to begin with theres growth in mind, body and spirit : then the physical and mental plus the written ::: growth is respect for others as yourself show a willingness to teach (not mandatory) but incouraged.and help. you will have had some duty to the dojang and start service to others,the physical is 5200 pushups a year or 100 a week same for situps or crunches ,run 2 miles a week w/ buddy,we have have 35 diff kicks at 1000 each same with all the punches ridge hands knife hands and knee strikes also elbows,, for the test that is four hours long:::: theres 40 basic combinations on hand & foot
110 defensive techniques,10 open hand long forms, 3 long weapon forms 10 throwing tech. acrobatic rolling and diving over obsticles,sparring , grappling :6 breaks 3, in air breaks
2, on the ground breaks 1 palm heel break of concrete,,,,,,a 10 page written dissertation im sure i forgot some stuff but u get the idea........

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a minimum for each belt rank (beginning ranks 3 mos. intermediate ranks 6 mos.) When you add it all up, the fastest you can get a Black belt is 4 1/2 years, but I only know of one person who's done it out of a hundred. It took me 5 years for mine, and the average is 5-7 years.

I'm not sure whether to count each of the tests taken up to black belt, because the ability to handle the pressure of testing (they amp up the "fear factor" as much as they can, to produce stress -- Big audience, high ranks encouraged to watch, plus some other tricks.) is as much a part of our training as the techniques themselves.

Our red belts (just below black) are expected to be able to teach basics to beginning students, in this way they learn differently than being taught.

The test itself is adjusted based on the physical limitations of the student. A 26 yr old athletic male is expected to perform a lot stronger than a 45 yr old. However, a 24 yr old female is expected to be quicker. This reflects our teaching of "The Universal Way".

In general we show 7 forms; 20-25 minutes of individual and combined called techniques; 6 one-step punching techniques designed by the student; various kicks against bags or pads; 3 3 minute continuous sparring rounds (point techniques only, but no points are awarded.); and 10 boards broken by various techs.

The months leading up to the test are more important than the test itself. You have to show that you are both practicing and exercising on your own, showing initiative, pass a pre-test, and write an essay about what you have learned from Chun Kuk Do.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the main thing is that the student knows the meaning and honor of being a black belt, and as far as the other thngs go, when the student recieves their blackbelt they should have already sirpassed that, due to the fact it should take close to a decade for most to recieve the tittle

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In our school, someone testing for First Degree must be able to perform all the colored belt material in the curriculum. They have to do the required board breaks and the required sparring. Then they have to do whatever my evil mind dreams up.

I always have a challenge for the student. I've seen them training over the years, so I know what their strong suits are. I also know what their weak points are (insert demented cackle here). I'll have them do something at the testing that involves one of those weak points, just to make the testing a little more interesting and a little more challenging.