Black belt - is this ok?

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train Taekwon do for 10 months, six times a week, two hours training, most of the time intensive and hard training.

I earned black belt.

I asked my master is is ok, he sad it is, and if i missed something, i have almost two years until i can go for 2nd Dan, so in that time i will compensate it.

He sad i completely deserve my black belt.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
10 months?! Even in Korea it takes 1 year. Only you and your Master really knows if it is OK.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
10 months I would say no way do you deserve a B.B. But that is my personal thing. If your Master says it is right than it is for him. My people train 6 days a week 1.5-2.0 hours per day would recieve thier B.B. in about 3-4 years but once again that is my school and the way I do it.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is Tae Kwon do the first or only style you trained in? That is, did you go from zero experience to black belt in 10 months? If not then you might have hit the ground running, if it was your first/only style then that would be EXTREMELY fast, by anyone standards. I earned my black belt in about 2.5 years, about 1.5 years of that was training 6 days a week 2-3 hours a day, with practice at home on Sundays. Even that was very fast.

Do you deserve it? No one can say based on one post on how long you trained, some videos if you in action would give people far more to base it on. But in the end if your teacher says you deserve it, and you feel like you have earned it, that is what counts.

You must have tested every month to get to 1st dan so quickly, don't get discouraged at the 2 year wait until the test for 2nd dan.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train Taekwon do for 10 months, six times a week, two hours training, most of the time intensive and hard training.

I earned black belt.

I asked my master is is ok, he sad it is, and if i missed something, i have almost two years until i can go for 2nd Dan, so in that time i will compensate it.

He sad i completely deserve my black belt.

1. If your schoool has a website please post it.
2. How much have you paid so far in training and test fees?
3. What was the average time and # of classes for other Black Belts at your school to achieve this rank?
4. Have you ever been to any tournaments and competed against people your own rank?
5. What patterns have you learned?

The fact that you are asking this question shows that you may feel further inquiry is needed. Where are you located? perhaps someone here can refer you to other schools in your location so you can observe the abilities of their similarly ranked students.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Korea, I trained 6 days a week, 2-3 hours a day for a year, one-on-one with a 6th Dan.......WITH 2 years of previous experience (when I was much younger) and it took me about 11 months. I just barely made it in the year, if that counts as a comparison.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Korea, I trained 6 days a week, 2-3 hours a day for a year, one-on-one with a 6th Dan.......WITH 2 years of previous experience (when I was much younger) and it took me about 11 months. I just barely made it in the year, if that counts as a comparison.

But that was one on one and not a classroom setting, plus you had some experience with another Art.

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. If your schoool has a website please post it.
2. How much have you paid so far in training and test fees?
3. What was the average time and # of classes for other Black Belts at your school to achieve this rank?
4. Have you ever been to any tournaments and competed against people your own rank?
5. What patterns have you learned?

The fact that you are asking this question shows that you may feel further inquiry is needed. Where are you located? perhaps someone here can refer you to other schools in your location so you can observe the abilities of their similarly ranked students.

1. We don't have it.
2.At beggining 20$ for monthly training, testing 15$. But since i losted my job, i don't pay anything (about 70$ to ITF for BB certificate).
3.Litlle longer i think 2-3 years.
4.yes, i have four internacional medals (i was blue then)
5.chon ji
dan gun
do san
yul gok
joong gun
toi gye
hwa rang
choong moo

on my first dan test i had: all forms i mentioned, in one sequence, sparring on 3, 2 and 1 steps, two special tehnics, board breaking, ten self defenses (hosinsul), and full contact sparring 3 x 3 minutes.

i am located ina slavonia, croatia. i am asking this question because around the web i saw it isn't usually to achieve bb so fast. about other schools in my location, i don't see much differents between me and rest of bb.

looks like this isn't something usually. anyway, i believe i deserve it.

that's not my first touch with martial arts, i trained ninjutsu for a year and martial sport called kickbox about a year also.

Last edited:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have to say somethjing you said you believe you earned it but yet you come here and ask question which tell us the opposite. I mean I do not believe anybody can achieve a NN in 10 months and truely be a BB, I mean what about applications of poomsae's, Tuls, kata or form? Please breakdown the application sequence for Chon-Ji rge simpliest of patterns? I willwait to see wjat you have to say.

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say somethjing you said you believe you earned it but yet you come here and ask question which tell us the opposite. I mean I do not believe anybody can achieve a NN in 10 months and truely be a BB, I mean what about applications of poomsae's, Tuls, kata or form? Please breakdown the application sequence for Chon-Ji rge simpliest of patterns? I willwait to see wjat you have to say.

wrong conclusion. i ask to see what others mean, not because i suspect in myself. offcourse i know my forms, but i don't see need in showing it to you (and i dont have it recorded). even if i'm by somewhat's standards not real bb, in this at least two years till my 2nd dan i surely will be, and that's what counts i think. for 2nd day everybody must be tested in front of internacional commision, by testers which holds 6 or higher dans, and no plays there.

i feel some bad vibrations here :(

i just asked what do you think about it. you think it's not possibly and ok, we have different masters, different schools.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. We don't have it.
2.At beggining 20$ for monthly training, testing 15$. But since i losted my job, i don't pay anything (about 70$ to ITF for BB certificate).
3.Litlle longer i think 2-3 years.
4.yes, i have four internacional medals (i was blue then)
5.chon ji
dan gun
do san
yul gok
joong gun
toi gye
hwa rang
choong moo

on my first dan test i had: all forms i mentioned, in one sequence, .

A. Did you not learn Won Hyo (between Do San and Yul Guk), or did you forget to type it?
B. Do you know which ITF you are with? whose name is on your certificate as president of the ITF?
C. What is your dan number?
D. What is your instrucors ITF Plaque #.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
i just asked what do you think about it. you think it's not possibly and ok, we have different masters, different schools.

Perhaps we do, perhaps not. (I know the post was not directed toward me. )
The fastest I am acquainteed with was someone I started with who made ITF BB in a year and a half. He had no prior training. Averaged about 10 classes a week and had an older brother to train with as well.

FWIW I am well acquainted with ITF standards and practices.
Highlights of my resume:
http://371078645507472465-a-1802744...Ycv_i5Cm8XVpup-ByC6tqocseQ3A==&attredirects=0

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
A. Did you not learn Won Hyo (between Do San and Yul Guk), or did you forget to type it?
B. Do you know which ITF you are with? whose name is on your certificate as president of the ITF?
C. What is your dan number?
D. What is your instrucors ITF Plaque #.

i forgot to type won hyo! i am in the general choi's itf. rest of info i don't want to place here because of practical reasons - i just wanted to hear oppinions from others, not to justify my self why i have bb or to aproove it to someone.

i heard it, and that is what i wanted to. only that. what to say, i just want to train and that's all i want, time will show the rest.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wrong conclusion. i ask to see what others mean, not because i suspect in myself. offcourse i know my forms, but i don't see need in showing it to you (and i dont have it recorded). even if i'm by somewhat's standards not real bb, in this at least two years till my 2nd dan i surely will be, and that's what counts i think. for 2nd day everybody must be tested in front of internacional commision, by testers which holds 6 or higher dans, and no plays there.

i feel some bad vibrations here :(

Tigerlove I did not ask you if you knew your forms and by the way they would be called Tuls, what I ask if you know the application of your forms? That would be totally different by the way, this is why I question if you are truely a BB since you do not know the difference? I mean anybody can rememver movements in sequence, but to actually drive into the apllication is what makes a BB. Like you said you have two years to learn them, well let me infotm you ot will take longer to fully understand what is all the applications. Since you feel you are being pick on, maybe because you really are looking for someone to justify your NN. I would guess you posted on another website and got hammered ny people and know you are looking for justification, and I gope you really become a BB one day, keep training and maybe you will. Let me ask one more question what is your Master full name?

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
as i said for practical reasons, i won't get out with my or my instructors name. as applications, you mean knowing the purpose of every move in form and visualising situation? if that, i know the application.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TigerLove, the net is that we can not tell whether you "deserve" a BB, however you must admit that the elapsed time is very short, and very unusual. I did take note of you twice mentioning that even if you are not BB stds now you will be in two years.

For what it's worth, to me the journey has been far more rewarding than the amount of time it took. My humble advice is to keep training, have fun and let the rank fall where they may, Good luck

OP
TigerLove

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
i don't want anymore to excuse or justify my self for wearing a bb.

i just want to train, and no belt will change what i know or what i don't know. i love martial arts, and taekwondo, and i will train it while i love it.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I do not understand why your instructor name is so private? I will just come to relize that you train with someone that has to be secretibe anout them. Just train and enjoy TKD and let yourself believe what you will. I have been in the Arts for over 45 years and can tell you all my instructor and thier ramk and schools names but then again they have no reason to hide.:asian:

Latest Discussions