Biohazards

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok...

how do you all deal with someone who just plain stinks? I mean, smelling bad when you leave the studio after a good workout is one thing, but someone who smells so bad they need a biohazard sign when they walk in the door?

and why do I always seem to get paired up with them for headlock techniques?!

once, I put a bag with soap and deodorant where he'd be sure to find it with a note that said "use me...please." however, that isn't always practical. lol.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
The only practical thing you can do, short of beating him up and throwing him in a shower where you use a scrub brush and lye soap, is to go to your instructor. The instructor should see that this person is potentailly harmfull to his business and is at best a distraction to his class.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or say somthing directly... but tactfully...

"Hey man, I like working out with you, but somedays you smell like a moose... do you mind using some Axe bodyspray beofre class so that your main attack is not Biological, but martial in nature???"

Well... ok, no one ever acused me of being tactful... heh heh

L

LostGrrlDies

i wear aromatherapy "energy" oil before i go to class. so when i sweat it smells like citrus. the stuff i get is from bath n' body works. i have also noticed when working in close contact with my master that he wears orange energy aromatherapy made by another company who's name escapes me at the moment. i know aromatherapy sounds kinda "foo-foo" to a guy... but apparently my master is ok with wearing it. it doesnt smell girly in the least. just smells like oranges. plus there are about 23746592 different aromatherapy scents on the market and some are targeted just for men... if it is a man you are talking about. mention it to them. if they dont heed your advice, then pick them up a bottle if it bothers you THAT much.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most definetly sounds like the instructor would be the first line of attack for this one. Perhaps he could give a general talk during line up about tradition and respect in the martial arts. In our school it is even in the handbook that new students are given. Clean gi, clean body, clear mind. These are the least of the things you should bring to the dojo out of respect for your peers, your instructor and your art.

J

jeffkyle

I have noticed alot of tactfulness on this thread. LOL! (HEAVY SARCASM)!!!

:rofl:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess that is true about martial artists not having much tact in general.

I personally make sure that I have a stick of deoderant or something in my bag to cover up my smell. However in most of the schools I've attended there would be a student that would change in the bathroom, stuff the uniform in a plastic grocery bag and throw it in the floorboards of his car until the next class. It'd never get washed and the instructor would talk about it in a reverent tone. I guess stink is a thing of pride when you have a class primarily comprised of guys.

How to handle complaints? I dunno. Most people wouldn't because they know you are in a place where sweating is going to happen and its going to stink. It might not be pleasant for a person to work with the smelly one, but If someone was going to quit because a classmate's smell is distracting them, they are obviously not going to stick around any way.
However, it is the instructors job to look after the student's health and well being while in class. Instead of the whole pride in not washing that uniform, it should be mentioned in the school rules that a clean uniform is required as well as certain grooming practices (Taking a bath, keeping nails clipped and wearing hair in a certain manner while in class).

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have absolutely no hesitation in telling people to cut their nails, wash their gi's or that they sniff funny,.. one of our cohort's hand gear gets really nasty.. I either toss him the antibacterial no water hand cleaner with a nose up in the air or I say.. your hands stink *G* he doesn't get offended.. we wash our gear and keep clean as possible.. yeah sweat grows bacteria and mold etc.. it doesn't smell good.. Hand out flyers about hygiene to everyone in class. If gentle reminders don't work.. take the person aside.. and say hey.. nothing personal.. but ........

Just my thoughts :)

Tess

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those little clorox bleach wipes come in real handy when cleaning gear... my sparring gear gets a good wipe after each use.

I realize that its a martial arts studio, and that people are gonna smell kinda funky after working out. That's not an issue...

the issue is when you can smell them when you're four feet away... and then you have to stretch out with them...

:barf:

I've been in martial arts for almost 15 years now... and this is only the second time I've ever had an issue with someone's BO. The first time around, I was an instructor, offered an obvious hint (bag of hygene products, note: use me!) and a brief word about it, and the problem ceased. This time around, I'm not in a position of authority, so I don't feel its my place to say something to another student.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
ok...

how do you all deal with someone who just plain stinks?

More importantly than raunchy stank, and maybe this should be its own thread, but how do you deal with the possible bio-hazard danger that occurs when an injury happens in your dojang/dojo where there's heavy bleeding, like what sometimes happens during full contact sparring training, or during board braking tests if you do them?

Often times, without thinking, people in the dojang will rush in and just try and give aid to stop the bleeding without putting on latex gloves or any type of protection. They end up getting the victim's blood all over themselves. I've seen it, and it's happened to me. I was sliced open near my eye once where the blood just flows, and my SaBumNim just stepped up and stopped the bleeding without taking any precautions. Luckily I don't have any contagious diseases but still... if it would have been like the movie 28 Days Later my SBN would have turned into a flesh eating ZOMBIE because he helped me... :eek:

If he were a paramedic he would have put on his protective gear before rendering treatment I'm sure. Anyway, it's not like we can afford to have a ringside doctor or paramedic with all of their protective equiptment available at all of our sparring sessions. So how does your dojang deal with this situation?

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have a first aid kit handy.

Have one of those little rubber glove dispensers handy.

Have a day where someone from red cross comes to your studio and goes over basic first aid, and blood hazards.

Latest Discussions