Biden/McCain '08?

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I happened to see Sen. Joe Biden (D-CT) on the Daily Show the other night and he was making noises about running for President in '08. Biden, a moderate Dem, seems like a good choice for the party. Then he said that he was in talks with his good friend Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) about being his running mate. My mouth dropped open.

McCain, a moderate Rep, running with Biden is, IMHO, a brilliant idea. That is a ticket that I, and I think many if not most other Americans, could really get behind. It has the potential to drive a stake into the heart of partisanism and possibly get some things done without being mired in rhetoric and far-left/far-right finger pointing.

I just wonder what the Reps and the Dems are gonna do. Support them or fight them tooth-and-nail. Personally, I think that the Dems will be more willing to embrace this ticket, since they need a win. I think that Reps will not back it since McCain is a moderate, and he has been the victim of some underhanded politicing by the Reps in current power during his bid for President in '00.

Thoughts?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about either of them, but they both seem like they will just chime in on any subject by saying whatever they think the most people want to hear. I used to really like McCain, but for some reason lately he has just bothered me.

It would make things interesting though.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
DngrRuss said:
I happened to see Sen. Joe Biden (D-CT) on the Daily Show the other night and he was making noises about running for President in '08. Biden, a moderate Dem, seems like a good choice for the party. Then he said that he was in talks with his good friend Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) about being his running mate. My mouth dropped open.

McCain, a moderate Rep, running with Biden is, IMHO, a brilliant idea. That is a ticket that I, and I think many if not most other Americans, could really get behind. It has the potential to drive a stake into the heart of partisanism and possibly get some things done without being mired in rhetoric and far-left/far-right finger pointing.

I just wonder what the Reps and the Dems are gonna do. Support them or fight them tooth-and-nail. Personally, I think that the Dems will be more willing to embrace this ticket, since they need a win. I think that Reps will not back it since McCain is a moderate, and he has been the victim of some underhanded politicing by the Reps in current power during his bid for President in '00.

Thoughts?
If you think that the Dems are going to support that, you don't understand the power of the "Hillary 2008" machine. The Republicans will fight it to, but since they don't really have an "Heir apparent", it'll take some scrambling to find someone with any real name recognition to counter it. I truly think radical Dems are going to explode if this serious gets considered.

This should be interesting. It does seem to be a smart play on their part, however, it remains to be see if it's truly brilliant.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Senator Biden has served the citizens of Delaware in the United States Senate for more than 30 years. He was sworn into office 44 days after becoming eligable to serve as a Senator, in 1973.

The Senators from Connecticut are Chris Dodd and Joseph Lieberman.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
John McCain is republican in name only
Hillary will be the biggest tsunami in 08

T

TonyM.

I no longer trust anyone that belongs to any political party. IMO it's gangsterism and counter to the idea of American democracy. I would like to see a bill outlawing anyone belonging to a political party or ANY secret society or organization from holding public office.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
I no longer trust anyone that belongs to any political party. IMO it's gangsterism and counter to the idea of American democracy. I would like to see a bill outlawing anyone belonging to a political party or ANY secret society or organization from holding public office.
So me and my friends shouldn't be able to form a political party?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just wish the original 13th amendment had been acknowledged as ratified. Then all these lawyers wouldn't be able to be in office. Would be a different world...
Hillary wouldn't be in the running for one.

(original 13th : http://users.frii.com/gosplow/13th.html)

As to a joint ticket....it would be interesting to see where they stand on the issues.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
um sorry,
bob hubbard that rumour was true?
I read that once but thought it was a joke

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The different 13ths? From what I could tell, yup.
Or Hillary running? Dunno that one, hope not, can't stand the "person".

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I just wish the original 13th amendment had been acknowledged as ratified. Then all these lawyers wouldn't be able to be in office. Would be a different world...
Hillary wouldn't be in the running for one.

(original 13th : http://users.frii.com/gosplow/13th.html)

As to a joint ticket....it would be interesting to see where they stand on the issues.
Bob, what have I told you about those conspiracy websites. They'll rot your brain. Next thing you know you'll be holed up in a cabin in Montana making bombs and writting manifestos.
icon12.gif

Now that I think about it, though, the internet has been keeping the country safe from domestic terrorism. In the pre-internet days, wacko kooks had to hand write or type their paranoid delusions, then they had to blow something up to get news papers to print them.

With the invention of the internet, they could spend all day pouring their paranoid meanderings in to cyberspace. They can spend hours upon hours every day discussing the evidence that was revealed in last nights dream, or discovered in their mom's basement (where they live).

They don't have enough free time left to make bombs. Plus, enough people hit on their website they don't have to blow something up to get attention. Ain't the 21st century wonderful.

If Ted Kazynski had internet access this whole time, he wouldn't be in prison, he'd be getting cited on web forums as "evidence" of the "conspiracy".

In all seriousness, the internet has really provided an outlet to people who might otherwise resort to violence to get attention. Thank you Al Gore.

OP
DngrRuss

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Michael, I stand corrected.

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Biden is a pants wetting liberal and is just Kerry all over again. McCain doesn't know what he is. Hillary will likely run, but Republicans will have no trouble reminding everyone what a hypocrite she is and how she is shamelessly trying to portray herself as some moderate. If Rudy Giullianni runs, he'll get elected. That would be fine with me. If the Dems had any sense, they'd run someone like John Breaux from Louisiana whom many of us Republicans could actually vote for.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like and respect them both, but my politics align more closely with Joe Biden's. I'd be intrigued by such a ticket.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Biden is a pants wetting liberal and is just Kerry all over again. McCain doesn't know what he is. Hillary will likely run, but Republicans will have no trouble reminding everyone what a hypocrite she is and how she is shamelessly trying to portray herself as some moderate. If Rudy Giullianni runs, he'll get elected. That would be fine with me. If the Dems had any sense, they'd run someone like John Breaux from Louisiana whom many of us Republicans could actually vote for.
Wait, who's running the DNC now? Yeah, they're going to back a moderate ticket. I can hear the primal screaming already "WOOOOOHHHHH!!!!"